Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone knows the cause for bettery and brake lights both light up simultaneously during driving? Car still moves normally. Restart engin doesn't solve the problem. Is this the prelude for the alternator to fail? Why the brake light then? Has this heppened to anybody? Other than call the dealer, what can I do?

I have a 03 Murano SL that has 15k on it.

Thanks and any help welcome.

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
adavid said:
It's your alternator. Get to the dealer fast, before the battery dies.
yep. good luck. :(

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Hope you made it to the dealer ok!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's been done!

Thaks for everyone. I got my Murano back. It is the Alternator!
Fortunately, the dealer has one in stock and I was able to get there quickly on my own. If I wait for another day, it probably will be a different story. Thanks for the great advice!

Afer all this, I still love my Murano!

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Don';t forget to vote on the Alternator Failure Poll and file your complaint with the NHTSA so other owners may benefit.

·
4,664 Posts
So when it happens, and you haven't been paying attention to the alternator threads, do you think making this a sticky in the problems area would be a good way to help?

If so, I'll make it one...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was in the middle of the road when it happened. My first reaction was alternator, having read a lot from this forum. However, the brake light realy pozzled me. Fortunately, I drove back home and left the car alone until Monday morning. That may saved the battery and allowed me to drive to the dealership today.

There may be different indicators when alternator is going to fail. It may help other peoples.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Jaak here is what I've gathered from obsessing over the alternator.

If you catch the lights in time, there is time to drive to the dealership (all accessories off). If you missed the light and its been on a while, my guess is that the electronic throttle may grow unresponsive, and CVT may perform strangely, and eventually the vehicle will not move. At that point, you're gonna have to convince the tow truck driver that your AWD Murano must be flatbedded....

Problem is, the Murano seems to perform the same, (no symptoms) when the lights initially turn on. I remember thinking if I had never looked down at the guages I would have never figured the alternator was dead since the car was performing perfectly normal.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
would also suggest that there may come a time when you have to make a decision........go home as Wheeling did, or go to the dealer.
It may be late at night, etc.......

IF you can get it home it would probably be prudent to put a battery charger on it for a few hours.............(We all have a bat charger, right?) before you attempt the run for the dealer (Perhaps with a friend following)
Unless of course, the problem in the Alternator (Shorted regulator, etc) is just a complete short on the battery.
I doubt this, but stranger things have happened.
I would look to see if the Alternator could be unplugged...........

Homer (just awatchin and awaitin.)

·
British Cat Juggler
147 Posts
Since I am a mechanical genius, and as my wife will confirm, a hopeless "know-it-all", I continued to drive my MO after the lights came on. I set out for work the following morning, hoping to call for a tow after I was safely at the office.

The car operates normally right up to the point when you lose all drive. Engine is running, throttle response is normal in neutral BUT YOU CAN NO LONGER DRIVE!

I had just crossed over one of New York's busiest 4 lane streets at the bottom of the highway exit ramp. If she had died 30 seconds sooner I would probably be a Mack truck hood ornament now.

Anyway, the point is, if you are reading this and you are still on your original alternator, DON'T be a hero! I managed to get about 20 miles out of the battery with radio and nav on. You might get more or you might get less but you just won't know when it will all come to a grinding halt.

That point may be a railroad crossing..........

·
4,664 Posts
The nature of the electronic control systems are that they will run fine until the battery voltage drops low enough that they "crash". At that point, only recharging the battery will get them going again.

Also, car batteries are not deep discharge, so it's not good to run them down.

Soon as you see the lights come on, get to the nearest dealer, or call a tow truck. Don't mess around. If the dealer's closed, I'd still take it there and park it in their service area, if possible. Then call them first thing in the morning. Take a cab home or get a ride from a friend.

At least that's how I'd do it.

And yes, turn off anything that takes power, that you don't need. Climate control, radio, lights if safe to do so. Avoid highways if practical. Hate to lose power at 60 MPH!

Just my opinion....:D

·
4,664 Posts
Yeah and no signals either...:p

Actually you can use the transmission to slow down. I do that with mine, by dropping into Ds. Amazing how it's always in the right gear... I don't know that I could bear to have a conventional auto tranny ever again.:D

·
Registered
792 Posts
26K miles and nearly 2 years of ownership - same al.......

maybe I should just keep my mouth shut - the fuel pump came shortly after I told a buddy how trouble free it has been...

I never thought about the drive by wire being a problem. Back to the days of big blocks and Holley double pumpers :)

·
4,664 Posts
I'm roughly the same... My Murano was born over two years ago, now, as it's build date is October 2002. It will have been in my loving care (abuse) for two years, the end of January.:D

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
jaak said:
I'm roughly the same... My Murano was born over two years ago, now, as it's build date is October 2002. It will have been in my loving care (abuse) for two years, the end of January.:D
So you have only a couple of more years to go on your MO since it is probably a 3 or 4 year lease?

·
4,664 Posts
Yeah, I normally lease for 3 years, but this time I went for four, 'cause I was so delighted with the vehicle.

I always look to see what I would replace it with. I need to go drive a Hemi equipped Magnum when the snow hits, to make me not want one. Right now, my next vehicle is another Murano, or maybe a Magnum, but I'm concerned about reliability.

The Magnum needs a CVT and AWD too... With the Hemi engine...

Heh heh heh....:D

Other than that, I've yet to see a vehicle I'd rather have.

My wife just got her brand new Taurus again. Get's one every year as a company vehicle. Poor Woman.... I'd rather have a four year old Murano, than a new Taurus.:4:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts