Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Just wondering if you're noticing an abnormally large amount of corrosion on the battery terminals and mounting brackets? I dont think I've ever seen this much corrosion on any other battery in cars I've owned.

About a year into ownership the positive battery terminal had so much corrosion that it was interfering with the voltage in the car. Dealer cleaned it and sent me on my way. It happened again a short time later and they just replaced the positive battery terminal. Now once again I'm noticing the corrosion.

Any idea what could be causing it? It's on the terminals and on the metal mounting bracket.

Bad battery or a "characteristic" of this car? Dealer says alternator is fine. Did a load test. Also say battery is fine because it was checked as well....

·
Registered
646 Posts
Hey all,

Just wondering if you're noticing an abnormally large amount of corrosion on the battery terminals and mounting brackets? I dont think I've ever seen this much corrosion on any other battery in cars I've owned.

About a year into ownership the positive battery terminal had so much corrosion that it was interfering with the voltage in the car. Dealer cleaned it and sent me on my way. It happened again a short time later and they just replaced the positive battery terminal. Now once again I'm noticing the corrosion.

Any idea what could be causing it? It's on the terminals and on the metal mounting bracket.

Bad battery or a "characteristic" of this car? Dealer says alternator is fine. Did a load test. Also say battery is fine because it was checked as well....

Bad battery if the alternator tests out properly.

Physically it sounds like you might have a seal issue at the Positive post, which is letting battery acid weep out. Also could be that you've got a battery that might be venting excessive battery fumes, usually a result of over charging. You need to get a handle on it now before it becomes worse.

Hey, I know the Murano is still under warranty, but sometimes you have to take the initiative to protect your investment, even when it's going to cost some cash.

Test charging voltage, no higher the 14.5V. Check charging amperage, which should drop quite rapidly with a good battery after starting, steadying out to around 1 or 2 amps, depending on your system load. Turn lights on and off to observe the amperage rise and fall accordingly.

If the alternator tests good, I'd get another battery and new metal mounting bracket. Remove the battery box and clean everything with baking soda, flush with water. Sand, clean, and prime any rust/bare metal caused by the battery acid and finish with a good enamel spray paint to seal.

Install the new battery with the green and red felt rings that go on the posts under each terminal. Before placing the cables on the posts, coat the posts and terminals with Vaseline. Install the terminals and tighten. If you go to AZ, they offer these two items when selling you a battery. Buy them!

Recoat the terminals with Vaseline yearly. You'll never see the corrosion again and it will help maintain the value of your Murano.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hey all,

1. Corrosion on the battery terminals = Hydrogen Gas from the Battery + other things in the atmosphere under the hood

2. Generally, if the corrosion is occurring on the negative terminal, your system is probably undercharging. If on the positive side, it is probably overcharging. Most often it will be seen on the negative side because the battery is usually in an undercharged situation. This is just the nature of the beast, I'm afraid.

3. To keep the lead, escaped hydrogen gas, and oxygen from mixing which forms the corrosion, coat the terminals with grease after thoroughly cleaning them.

4. If the charging system and the battery are functioning properly, then either this particular battery produces an unusually high amount of Hydrogen Gas or the atmosphere under the hood contains corrosive elements (garage) or both.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hey all,

Yes, I've noticed this in my Murano as well. I just keep cleaning it whenever I check things under the hood. At first I had my dealer check it out - he said everything was ok; then he coated the top of the battery with something to help prevent the corrosion, but it didn't seem to do anything in particular.

·
Registered
735 Posts
At one year the corrosion on my OEM battery was really bad and I was cleaning it off every month. I bit the bullet and got a new Optima Red Top battery and hopefully this was strictly a bad battery issue. The plastic tray underneath had a fair about of leakage in it, so glad I replaced this early. Even though it is under warranty, I don't want another crappy OEM battery that may leak or fail prematurely.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Curious to know if members who switched out the OEM battery still notice allot or corrosion?

Wondering if we have cheap-o OEM batteries or if it has something to do with the setup and despite what battery, same problem.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Curious to know if members who switched out the OEM battery still notice allot or corrosion?

Wondering if we have cheap-o OEM batteries or if it has something to do with the setup and despite what battery, same problem.
My 2016 murano would not start one day due to corrosion on the pos.battery post at about 2 years old .I knew the dealer would not replace battery because of corrosion, so I cleaned with baking soda and water and installed a new AGM type battery. Its been about a year now and still no corrosion..

·
Registered
201 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On a side note since talking about batteries.

Can a cheap battery cause rough idle with AC on?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Our original battery (19month-old, 2017.5SL) has been leaking ... Acid doesn't quite yet get to the terminals. But it follows the bracket down to the frame, causing some big mess now. I plan to go to Costco for a replacement ... item# 850242 $78.99 with 42-month easy-refund. (I won't take a free Nissan replacement... I have a Costco Interstate battery in my Avalon. It's totally clean after 2yrs).

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,719 Posts
Some batteries out-gas more than others. Those that do, tend to have more terminal corrosion.

One solution is to change to a glass-mat battery which is totally sealed. Not cheap, but good. (See Mattski's note in the thread above.)

Edit: The Optima is such a battery and I have had superb service from them.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I had the same issues, I cant find my topic here with pictures. Very strange.
It was so bad.

I bought new battery from Costco,
Have done a lot of cleaning.

Used the following products:

Battery Anti Corrosion Washers (2 Red & 2 Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01155YKF4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_iqCsDb6KFV83P

CRC Battery Terminal Protector, 7.5 oz Aerosol Can, Dark Red https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013J7RAI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_vqCsDbWVV62RK

Permatex 22058 Dielectric Tune-Up Grease, 3 oz. Tube https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000AL8VD2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_mrCsDbJW7HAF0

4 months now, all looks perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
318 Posts
My understanding is that battery terminal corrosion is a result of a faulty battery terminal seal out-gassing, basically a defective battery. This makes sense to me because I've had zero issues with battery terminal corrosion of any kind for decades on several cars I've own. This includes OEM batteries, and standard replacement batteries from Sears and Advance Auto Parts.

I noticed severe battery terminal corrosion on a CPO 2015 Murano I test drove 6 months ago...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had issues with corrosion on my 2018 that I bought used back in May. I had a couple of starts last week that seemed like the engine didn't want to turn over, so I had a peek under the hood. Lots of corrosion on the positive terminal.

Needless to say, after seeing the above posts in the forum, I figured it was time to cut my losses and replace the battery as soon as I could, as cleaning it didn't seem like a long-term solution.

By the way, when I took it in to a local shop for a replacement, they were skeptical there were any issues because of its age. That is, until they checked the battery. Apparently, it had one bad core. The car had about 23,500 miles on it with that battery.

Love the car, hate the OEM battery.

·
Registered
52 Posts
What's so special about that battle. Not being snippy. The description doesn't say anything about any special non corroding battery etc. I'm certainly not an expert but as long as you have good connections, grounds, and keep the terminals clean any decent battery won't corrode.
----> A dry cell, no leakage or corrosion.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Unfortunately I still have corrosion on my terminal posts forming even with the new sealed Optima battery. I did a very liberal coating of dielectric grease after cleaning thoroughly. Will try the anti-corrosion spray, but a little dismayed that this problem seems to be with the vehicle and not just the battery.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I just bought a used 2016 SL with Tech. I noticed as part of the reconditioning, of which there was little since the previous owner did all the services etc, that the positive terminal was replaced. During my initial detailing of the vehicle I did look at the battery and it looks fine but now I'm going to have a more through inspection of it and the surrounding area.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Unfortunately I still have corrosion on my terminal posts forming even with the new sealed Optima battery. I did a very liberal coating of dielectric grease after cleaning thoroughly. Will try the anti-corrosion spray, but a little dismayed that this problem seems to be with the vehicle and not just the battery.
Apparently Optima batteries are now made in Mexico and their quality if not what it once was...

Check out this video. I speed the audio up to 1.5 when watching Scotty Kilmer videos:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts