Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my MO for two years, not problems so far, tonight I turned it off, then 15 minutes later came again and it did not start, there was a clicking sound from the starter but nothing happens it sounds like a dead battery, lights were dimmed, I jumped the battery with another car and I could started but the inside lights are not working anymore (have to check fuses) now I parked in my house tried several times and no problem with starter, it seems that the problem gone as come, Any suggestion or previuos experience?? but interior lights remains damaged.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
mgarciah said:
I have my MO for two years, not problems so far, tonight I turned it off, then 15 minutes later came again and it did not start, there was a clicking sound from the starter but nothing happens it sounds like a dead battery, lights were dimmed, I jumped the battery with another car and I could started but the inside lights are not working anymore (have to check fuses) now I parked in my house tried several times and no problem with starter, it seems that the problem gone as come, Any suggestion or previuos experience?? but interior lights remains damaged.
Yeah is sounds like you blew a fuse or a relay for the interior lights. Strange though, that the battery would be completely dead after turning off the car for 15 minutes. Have you had the alternator recall performed yet?

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Clean battery terminals and check to make sure they are tight... If OK, bad battery...
Has the alternator been checked/replaced?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will check fuses today, Ill let you know what I found, My MO has Automatic Transmission so the recall do not apply to me, well at least I think so, Anyway I have no warning lights previously or when the problem arise.

Thanks

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
mgarciah said:
My MO has Automatic Transmission so the recall do not apply to me. Thanks
mgarciah-

All MOs have an "automatic" transmission. The same tranny is used on all MOs.

The recall Eric was referring to is the alternator recall that affected all 2003 and 2004 MOs, and some early 2005 models.

Check the electrolyte level in the battery cells. Top-off with distilled water as needed.

-njjoe

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Njjoe.

What I mean is that the MOs sold in US and Canada has CVT, MOs in Latin America are non CVT they have just a normal automatic tranny (4 forward speeds) like any other car, on the recall you can check that it will cover only MOs sold in US and Canada with CVT,

Check this post, specificaly on the REASON FOR ACTION.

http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4920

By the way, Just checked all fuses and relays, they are fine, Im having a battery problem, it goes suddenly dead and then back again for a while, I just leave the lights on for 10 minutes with the engine off and I could reproduce the problem, but really weird things are happening here, cabin lights does not work, wipers starts without any command from me, some warning lights are on others are not. Tomorrow morning I will go to my dealer since the car is still under warranty, dont know if this cover the battery.. I will confirm this tomorrow.

Maybe some cells are short circuited.

Thanks

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
mgarciah-

Thanx for the info about your MO. I did not realize that some Muranos were manufactured with "normal" automatic transmissions. I simply assumed all came equipped with CVTs.

You learn something new every day.

Good luck.

-njjoe

·
5,244 Posts
Joe,

Nissan fitted Muranos destined for South American market with "normal" auto tranny. I think I saw first one late in 2003 in Colombia and was very surprised by not seeing the CVT. In retrospect I think we would be better of if we had the 5-speed tranny as FX has. But it would not be Murano anymore, would be...:D

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HI enforcer.

This should be another Thread, but according with Nissan´s recall they will honor only the CVT´s MOs. according to them the problem is related with the alternator on a high diferential speed on a CVT equipped MO, Just would like to confirm this because, if it is applicable to all MOs I will claim for it here in my country.

·
5,244 Posts
mgarciah

I believe you are right

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Ah ok, that doesn't make any sense to me. The alternator recall affected many models not just MO and MO was the only model with a CVT. So what does CVT have to do with an alternator that is used on many different models and whose problem was a faulty armature wire? It may be a VQ35DE thing.

Here is the VIN applicability from the TSB:

Attachments

·
5,244 Posts
Enforcer,

I know it may sound weird but I remember reading that only cars equipped with CVT were affected. Somehow it does not make sense to me but then again we really do not know exactly all the intricacies of the Murano powertrain.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
According to the Nissancr.com (Costa Rica) website, the engine in the MO is the same as in the US - VQ35DE. I assume it is the same alternator, unless the stepper motor on the CVT requires a large current draw at low rpms which necessitates a different (higher amps) alternator.

Is it possible the recall is only targeted at US and Canadian Muranos because that is the only jurisdiction of the NHTSA?

-njjoe

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
njjoe said:
According to the Nissancr.com (Costa Rica) website, the engine in the MO is the same as in the US - VQ35DE. I assume it is the same alternator, unless the stepper motor on the CVT requires a large current draw at low rpms which necessitates a different (higher amps) alternator.

Is it possible the recall is only targeted at US and Canadian Muranos because that is the only jurisdiction of the NHTSA?

-njjoe
Ya it's possible. I'm starting to think its specific to the MO too, don't know where I got the multi-model idea from. I checked the max and z SMs and they specify 12V-110A alternators but they are from different manufacturers. From the 06 MO SM:

Attachments

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
I still believe (and the idea was confirmed feasible by people with experience in alternator design) that the problem wasn't a "faulty wire" but that because it's possible with the CVT that RPMs never get high enough, too much strain is put on the alternator.

I have a 1000 watt sound system, and pushed it on many occasions with no problems. I drive my Murano harder than most, and the RPMs get plenty high to supply enough power for everything in the vehicle.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi.

Well I got my car fixed!!, the battery was dead, well at least two cells were short circuited, here the warranty for the battery is applicable as follows 100% first year, 50% second year and 25% for the third year. Im in the third year so I paid 75% of the price. but no hand labor was charged.

Thanks

·
5,244 Posts
Actually I am not surprised. My lasted 2.5 years. Batteries in all my cars I drove while living in hot climates did not last longer than 3 years. I would not install the OEM battery anymore. Just my experience.

Glad it was only battery.

·
5,244 Posts
Tyler_Canada said:
I still believe (and the idea was confirmed feasible by people with experience in alternator design) that the problem wasn't a "faulty wire" but that because it's possible with the CVT that RPMs never get high enough, too much strain is put on the alternator.

I have a 1000 watt sound system, and pushed it on many occasions with no problems. I drive my Murano harder than most, and the RPMs get plenty high to supply enough power for everything in the vehicle.
It wasn't confirmed. We just speculated. It was onbe of the possible failure modes. Unless one can get access to Nissan files it will remin speculations.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts