Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's a little story:

It's been raining/snowing for several days and you've been driving in it. You get in your car and, it won't start. After several days, you get the car to a dealer/garage, they charge the battery, plug It into their machine and don't find anything. "Your good to go. Must have been a low battery." Basically, they didn't find anything except a low/weak battery.

So this happens several times in a row, always during snowy/wet/moist conditions. First the battery will be replaced. Any mechanic knows that an alternator always under heavy load, as in having to be fully charging a chronically low battery, will fail! Now you're replacing the alternator.

Now, unless you're parking your Murano in a garage and it's quiet, you might never hear the faint whine from the Tailgate Open Warning Buzzer shorting out when wet. If parking out side, you'll probably never hear it and being outside, it will take longer to dry out and stop draining the battery. Most of the time, by time you can get to a dealer/garage, the TOWB has dried out and stopped being a drain on the battery. They basically don't see an issue, even when checking for a parasitic drain, which a shorted whining TOWB is, until it dries out.

How much money is being wasted on this, IMHO, a really stupid design flaw. You have a buzzer to warn the "Driver" that the tailgate is open. Is the "Driver" standing at the back of the car when this buzzer goes off? No, he's inside, in the drivers seat. Why would you put the buzzer on the outside, exposed to corrosion from salt and road moisture. How about placing it inside in back. It will be louder and won't cause an electrical issue down the road.

Nissan should have a recall on this flaw simply due to the amount of money that can be wasted chasing this issue. I believe that if you're having battery issues with your 3rd Gen Murano and drive where salt is used on the roads, the first thing that should be checked and replaced is the TOWB. After only two years, mine had total corrosion on the brass speaker when I took it apart. My Murano had less then 20K miles when it first started whining when wet.

Hope this helps someone out who's having battery issues.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree. Mine's been going for 3 weeks now! Where is it located? I just want to remove it.
Just posted this:

Post # 7

Have a good day.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks Paul, those are good videos. Can the TOWB just be removed? or does it cause a "check" light problem? Mine isn't causing any problem yet, although it's often buzzing as noted.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Paul, those are good videos. Can the TOWB just be removed? or does it cause a "check" light problem? Mine isn't causing any problem yet, although it's often buzzing as noted.
Thanks.

You could just unplug it, but then you're leaving an exposed connector. It doesn't throw any errors that I've found. Just a major design flaw.

Since the bumper needs to be removed just to unplug it, it's worth while to just replace the TOWB at that time, waterproofing the new one before installing.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Mine just started acting up. Watched the video on how to remove the bumper (thanks PaulDay for the video). I think I am going to just remove it, period. This thing is only used for the beeping sound when the hatch opens and closes, and the steady tone when hatch is open while driving? .... not for anything else right?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine just started acting up. Watched the video on how to remove the bumper (thanks PaulDay for the video). I think I am going to just remove it, period. This thing is only used for the beeping sound when the hatch opens and closes, and the steady tone when hatch is open while driving? .... not for anything else right?
Not that I'm aware of. Be sure to waterproof the plug before reinstalling the bumper.

Glad that the video is able to help you out.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a fuse I can pull in the meantime to disable the bumper speaker? I will be getting around to removing it but waiting on a nice day to do. And if there is a fuse, does it affect anything else and where can I find it?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would think that it's tied to the liftgate. Have you tried the liftgate switch in the glovebox to see if it stops the whining? Pretty sure that pulling that the liftgate fuse will stop the noise.

Good luck.

Have a good day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts