Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In an attempt to avoid the dealer for simpler things, I'd like to clean some acid buildup on the top of the battery. I was checking around as to proper precautions, if any, when removing the battery terminals and power to the ECM and I'm getting a variety of answers such as the following. I realize at the very least, the the radio stations will need to be reprogrammed.

ECM will keep settings as long as the power disconnected is short enough. Less than 5min or 1 hr or 24hr??
ECM will be reset but will relearn everything.
ECM will lose settings and some cannot be recovered.
ECM will need to be reset at the dealer.

Owners manual and service manuals dont seem to mention an issue with disconnecting the power, as in replacing the battery.

Is there anything unique to the 2016 Murano that I need to be aware of when disconnecting the battery?? There is a power backup tool sold that is a 9v battery that plugs into the cigarette lights to retain settings. Is this needed and does the dealer use this?

I can recall replacing the battery in my 2010 Xterra didnt seem to have any problems when disconnecting the battery. Is a "newer" car different?

Thanks!

·
Registered
906 Posts
I disconnected my battery plenty of time and never had any ECM issues.
When doing work on my stereo, I usually disconnect it for more than an hr, your mileage may reset, but that's all.
2015 murano

·
Registered
220 Posts
When I replaced my battery I have spend a lot if time cleaning the terminals. All settings, linked phones didn’t get erased. No other issues.
Im sure car was out of power at least for an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
451 Posts
I find my seat/steering wheel memory settings get reset every time I disconnect the battery. Otherwise all else seems undisturbed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I find my seat/steering wheel memory settings get reset every time I disconnect the battery. Otherwise all else seems undisturbed.
That’s what I recall my 2015 Platinum did when I unhooked the battery and cleaned the post corrosion it had when I bought it earlier this yr. Make sure you use a set of felt pads and battery anti corrosion spray when hooking your battery back up. Not a spot of corrosion has come back so far. Check your water levels in ea cell & only use distilled water to top up as needed.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think you may have to have your windows re-learn to go auto up. I am taking this from my 2nd gen experience. I did not yet have a pleasure to unhook my 3rg gen from juice.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I noticed some acid buildup on my negative battery terminal post while I doing my oil change. It wasn't much, but I was surprised since I have top of the line optima battery.
Treated it with CRC
My positive was clean though, only the neg was started to corrode.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Do yourself a favor Assad and buy the two little felt pads. Remove both terminals and clean well. Coat battery posts and clamps with Vaseline. Install the pads and then the battery clamps pushing them all the way down as far as possible before tightening.

CRC is good for cleaning, but nothing beat that Vaseline/pad combo to beat corrosion. Some people will tell you that Vaseline is no conductive, but when the clamp is tighten properly on the post, this is not an issue. I redo mine yearly in the spring and never have had battery corrosion, except when the car was new, the battery started to corrode within 6 months.

Since then I've upgrade to a Duracell battery that has like 50 more cranking amps then the OEM battery.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Good advice Paul,

If you look at my positive terminal, you can see the pad at the bottom, maybe that's why it never corroded.

I had the pad on the neg, but lost it at one point, since I always remove the neg terminal when I work on my car.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Do yourself a favor Assad and buy the two little felt pads. Remove both terminals and clean well. Coat battery posts and clamps with Vaseline. Install the pads and then the battery clamps pushing them all the way down as far as possible before tightening.

CRC is good for cleaning, but nothing beat that Vaseline/pad combo to beat corrosion. Some people will tell you that Vaseline is no conductive, but when the clamp is tighten properly on the post, this is not an issue. I redo mine yearly in the spring and never have had battery corrosion, except when the car was new, the battery started to corrode within 6 months.

Since then I've upgrade to a Duracell battery that has like 50 more cranking amps then the OEM battery.

Have a good day.
Where do you find the little felt pads? Auto parts store? I'd ever heard of that but it seems like a good idea and your testimonial is spurring me on to add them, if they aren't already on my battery. (to cold and snowy to check today)

·
Registered
906 Posts
Advanced Auto Part has plenty of them, already soaked with some kind of lube, they cost $4.
Amazon also has them, but the ones I found there are not treated with anything.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Where do you find the little felt pads? Auto parts store? I'd ever heard of that but it seems like a good idea and your testimonial is spurring me on to add them, if they aren't already on my battery. (to cold and snowy to check today)
Go to any auto parts store and you will usually find them hanging on the posts of the battery racks. Autozone used to offer a set of the pads and would throw in a little packet of Vaseline when you purchased one of their batteries.

Have a good day.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts