Nissan Murano Forum banner

Battery Replacement

11K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Kris 
#1 ·
My wifes '03 battery sounds like it is getting a little weak. Since we are in AZ I want to replace it before it leaves her and our 3 month old stranded in the heat. While doing a search on batteries I thought I read that someone bought there own battery and then sent the receipt to Nissan for a rebate under the factory warranty. Is this true? It has 30k on it so it is still under the factory warranty. I hate taking it to the dealer for something so minor as a battery replacement. Any suggestions on batteries? I was told Wal Mart of all places had good batteries. I know this has been discussed before but whats up with Nissan, even Chevy fully warrantied my battery in my p/u

:confused: :confused:

#2 ·
I like my batteries fresh. The last battery I purchased was from a Nissan dealer for a previous Nissan... what was fresh about it? Well just before I picked it up they put the acid into the battery....

Now that's fresh.

I guess anywhere that has a good turn over of batteries in your area as I don't suspect many places like to handle acid.

I guess the heat out there is hard on your batteries... I typically get about 6-8 years out of a battery.

#3 ·
Gonzo said:

I guess anywhere that has a good turn over of batteries in your area as I don't suspect many places like to handle acid.

I guess the heat out there is hard on your batteries... I typically get about 6-8 years out of a battery.
Ya the heat really gets them. My p/u batter only lasted about 2.5 years. I think you can get a good battery anywhere. Even Autozone has good warranties on their brand. Maybe I will just whip in there and get one. I will fit right in at Autozone with the hood up in the parking lot:D

#4 ·
pb1963 said:
My wifes '03 battery sounds like it is getting a little weak. Since we are in AZ I want to replace it before it leaves her and our 3 month old stranded in the heat. While doing a search on batteries I thought I read that someone bought there own battery and then sent the receipt to Nissan for a rebate under the factory warranty. Is this true? It has 30k on it so it is still under the factory warranty. I hate taking it to the dealer for something so minor as a battery replacement. Any suggestions on batteries? I was told Wal Mart of all places had good batteries. I know this has been discussed before but whats up with Nissan, even Chevy fully warrantied my battery in my p/u

:confused: :confused:
Two things,
1. Starting in 05 the Battery is larger.
2. Ifyou buy a new one get a Red Top one that you can add water to.

I have lived in AZ now for almost 20 years and heat (lack of water) is the #1 killer. Sealed batteries are like coffins as far as batteries are concerned down here. A batter you can add water to will buy you at least a full year. Also if you are really adventurous move the Battery out of the engine compartment and all that heat. If you can't do that they sell heat shield material for batteries and I always opened my hood when I garage to Mo so as to let the heat out of the engine compartment ASAP and not cook everything inside.

Finally since you are in AZ a evaporative cooler added thru the side wall of the garage will do wonders for the Car and everything else. I added insulation to the ceiling and the walls of the garage and mine is a cool 72 most of the time and no hotter than 85 when the Monsoon is here.

Best Don

#5 ·
Now that's a good idea.
Adding a swamp cooler to your garage........they are very cheap to run and they work in low humidity very well.

Homer

#6 ·
To answer the question originally posed in the thread, the original battery is covered under the bumper to bumper warranty - 3 years or 36,000 miles. However, you will prob need proof that the OEM battery died (i.e. failed a load test, not just weak) before Nissan will send you a prorated refund. With 30k on the battery, that refund will be a few dollars - not worth it in my opinion.

#8 ·
Eric L. said:
To answer the question originally posed in the thread, the original battery is covered under the bumper to bumper warranty - 3 years or 36,000 miles. However, you will prob need proof that the OEM battery died (i.e. failed a load test, not just weak) before Nissan will send you a prorated refund. With 30k on the battery, that refund will be a few dollars - not worth it in my opinion.
They have a very tricky warranty on the battery.

It is mileage "limited" to 36,000 miles.
But it is "time" rated.

So, If the bat goes bad in the first year, and the miles are less than 36K, the owner pays 25% of the battery.
If the bat goes bad between 12 and 24 mos, and the miles are less than 36,000 the owner pays 50% of the battery.
If the bat goes bad between 24 and 36 mos, and the miles are less than 36,000 the owner pays 75% of the battery.

If the battery qualifies as in warranty under the rules above, then there is no charge for labor or misc fees,'
And if the car has over 36,000 miles, the battery is out of warranty no matter what period of time the car was owned.

Pretty complex for a battery warranty.

Up to each individual whether it is worth it or not.

Gripper says the 05 battery is "bigger" than the originals.........
I wonder which one you would get on a warranty replacement?

Homer

#10 ·
hfelknor said:

But it is "time" rated.

So, If the bat goes bad in the first year, and the miles are less than 36K, the owner pays 25% of the battery.
If the bat goes bad between 12 and 24 mos, and the miles are less than 36,000 the owner pays 50% of the battery.
If the bat goes bad between 24 and 36 mos, and the miles are less than 36,000 the owner pays 75% of the battery.

If the battery qualifies as in warranty under the rules above, then there is no charge for labor or misc fees,'
And if the car has over 36,000 miles, the battery is out of warranty no matter what period of time the car was owned.

Matches the size origionally fitted they are too cheap to replace the holder and move the other engine components. So I recommend you get the Red Top and the larges aAMP hour that will fit as it actually hepls reduce the peak load on the alt. Yes it;s true.

Homer

#11 ·
hfelknor said:

But it is "time" rated.

Homer
You get the one that was originally fitted . you did not think they would spend the extra money and replace the battery holder and move the engine components did you . So that why i suggest the red Top in the biggest size that will fit it actually is easier on the alternator, Yes it's true but you figger it out. :2:

#12 ·
2 years and 3 months and the battery is basically dead.....Iam charging it right now so I shoul dnot hav eproblems with starting in the morning.

Anu suggestions? Should I stick with the OEM or go for something else?

#13 ·
Kris said:
2 years and 3 months and the battery is basically dead.....Iam charging it right now so I shoul dnot hav eproblems with starting in the morning.

Both Interstate and Sears brand batteries are top rated and probably will perform better and cost the same as the Nissan battery.

-njjoe

#14 ·
Kris said:

I would get an Optima Red Top, put it in, and forget about it for a long long time.

#15 ·
Charged battery overnight. Still car would not start this morning! What a joke. My wife had to drop me off…..I thought good things come in threes. Now I know bad things come in threes(see my computer post)! Tomorrow I am hunting for a new battery and Mr. Murphy! He has to be in town!

If I can get Optima Red Top I will, if not anything else but Nissan…..

#16 ·
Got Duralast-Gold Battery. $75.99 + tax. CCA 640/800 - much better than OEM. 3 years full replacement/8 years prorated (what ever it is worth) warranty. It took me 10 min to replace it. Now even with all lights on there is no diming whatsoever whar starting! I am happy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.