Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, this subject is aimed more at the 2003 and 2004 owners. Looks like the old battery may be on the way out. Now at 36250 miles and I think the heat finally got to it. I lost out on the warranty up to 36000 miles but not going to cry since I would have had to pay 75 percent of the new cost plus dealer install fee.
The battery just today cranked really slow as you turn the key and for a second or so you have nothing and then just a slow crank till she turned over.
What have you guys done out there as far as replacements on your MO?
Thanks Bob1

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Interstate and Sears Die-Hard have performed well for me on other cars in the past. Both brands have a very good track record and reputation.

-njjoe

·
5,244 Posts
Bob

I installed Duralast Gold. $75 at AutoZone. I am more than happy.

The original lasted only 2.5 years. And same happening to FX. Again I will go with Duralast Gold as I have had good experience.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks NJ and Kris. I should say that I did browse the thread on batteries from last September. I just thought more early batteries may be failing like mine and wanted to see if there were some added response to supplement this thread.

http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=5322&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

I just called Sears and they said they had only 1 battery that would fit the MO. I guess it was a Die Hard but I'm backing off as he said the MO specs call for 582CCA (cold cranking amps) and his battery that would fit only has 550CCA. The cost was up there also as he said something like 96.00 for the battery and installed would be 109.00! Yikes on that. I'll check out Interstate on Monday and see how it stacks up against the Duralast.

Bob1

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
When the time comes (and how much longer can it be since I have 50 more miles than you!) I will go the big bucks and get an optima Red top.
The one for the Murano has 740 CCA!
But top quality commands top prices. I see the Op[tima for about $130.

But, of course that is not the smartest way to go....maybe.
Depends on how long you are going to keep the car.
I still figure another 3 to 4 years.

Homer

·
5,244 Posts
Homer,
I am tossing between RedTop and Duralast Gold for FX. I will need to make decision in a couple of months. As I intend to keep the FX for at least 5 more years the Red Top does not seem like a bad choice.

Bob,
here is data on Duralast-Gold Battery. $75.99 + tax. CCA 640/800 - much better than OEM. 3 years full replacement/8 years prorated. So go the the AutoZone and check it out. It seems better deal than Sears!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Kris, that is good info. I know a guy at Big10 Tire and they have Interstates there. I want to match and compare but your choice has Die Hard beat for sure.
Bob1

·
'03 SE 2WD Cold Pkg, VDC
143 Posts
Optima

I put a Redtop in our other car and it has perormed well. I got one at Costco for $105 for our '03 MO just last week. The group number was correct but the part number was different than the one in other posts (search on Optima) I installed it by myself.

The Optima's electrodes are spiraled so that there is more surface area. It's a great battery and in my mind worth the extra $$. The Yellow top is best where more accessories are utilized (stereo amps, etc).

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
When the battery on my MO goes (its just a tad over 3 years old now) I'll probably put whatever AGM battery thats sold at the local Sam's Club. They used to sell Sams labeled Exide Orbitals, but I think they've recently switched to Red Tops.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Called my Big-10 tires store and now they no longer stock the interstate battery. They have to order batteries. Looks like Auto-Zone Duralast may win out as price and warranty. Probably going with Kris's suggestion.
Thanks guys.
Bob1

·
Registered
184 Posts
have you tried walmart? they have a battery for $62 and a 7 yrs warranty. plus i figure that there's more walmarts than any other auto stores anywhere!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Walmart is close to my home yet my son had to return his battery 2 or 3 times under warranty. It's a trust/quality issue for me. I do like the DuraLast 3 year full replacement as the OEM battery we now use from Nissan had a 75 percent out of pocket cost at the 3 year mark. I called Auto-Zone, they have the battery and said they will drop her into my ride at no cost.
Bob1

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Seems like a good way to go Bob.
And it never hurts to have a good relationship with your local Auto Zone. :)

Homer

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Since we're on the subject....

My friends wife drives a 5 year old Hyundai Elantra.

She drives infrequently, the car has 13,000 miles on the ticker.

It lives in the attached garage.

He asked me if I thought he should replace the battery.

I asked if the car had any battery problems, he said no.

Apparently he wants to replace it as a precautionary measure.

Good idea, or waste of money?

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Mr3Putt said:
Since we're on the subject....

My friends wife drives a 5 year old Hyundai Elantra.

She drives infrequently, the car has 13,000 miles on the ticker.

It lives in the attached garage.

He asked me if I thought he should replace the battery.

I asked if the car had any battery problems, he said no.

Apparently he wants to replace it as a precautionary measure.

Good idea, or waste of money?
I say good idea if he wants to do it for his wife's security and peace of mind. A battery isn't very expensive (esp for an Elantra) and it sure beats being stranded somewhere, even if its not for a while.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I go by sound strange enough. My 2002 Altima is on the original battery and cranks right up. The MO was letting me know that its time. That sick feeling when you turn the key and hear nothing for a second makes you gulp. That was my clue that its time to change this baby out.
In the end I do err on the side of caution with the little lady driving the car and say change it out.
Bob1

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Back from my trip to Auto Zone. Got the Duralast gold with the 3 year full replacement warranty and 8 year pro-ration. It is also a serviceable (not sealed) battery. So far all is well with the new battery in it's new home tucked into the engine compartment.
So in the end I went with Kris's choice. Sears was out based on CCA and I did not want to take a second mortgage on some of the others talked about in the thread. I never got a chance to check Interstate as my local Big 10 tire guy said they had to order it.
I'm happy with my choice.
:4:
My advice to the other 03/04 owners is to watch for that telltale sluggish crank on the engine. This summer heat is worse than frigid cold!
Bob1

·
5,244 Posts
A few weeks ago I had this feeling that the FX battery is starting to “weaken”. But I was told in not uncertain words "keep your hands off my car! it’s always been that way". Ye, got a phone call yesterday night – the FX would not start at first key turn. At second key turn – it started but wasn’t really cranking. So, off we go again to Auto Zone. As with Murano I opted for Duralast Gold.
Now the fun – installation was a nightmare. I really think Nissan engineers should go back to school to learn how to design for maintainability. I can even give them lessons if they pay me! He, He….

Nissan batteries – it is a joke! Murano lasted 2.5 years, FX – 2y8m and 39k miles. So if any of you guys live somewhere in rather warmer climate and you passed 2.5 years of Murano ownership, go and get a new battery. Anything but Nissan. Nissan has a prefect score with me – 2 out of 2!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I second that opinion Kris. Don't go out to the parking lot load the car with groceries on a 90 degree day and turn they key to hear...nothing! Worse yet, don't have the wife call you and say she is at the mall or the office and have that happen to her. You don't have much time between hearing a slow start and being dead in the water.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I've always had good luck with Nissan batteries. Curious when was the last time the water level was checked in the battery? Is the FX maintenance free?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts