Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been lurking here for quite a while, and I don't want to ask things that have allready been asked. And I obviously know this is a biased source ;)

But I am 24, just got my first "real" job, and this will be my first real car that I will be making payments on etc. I have been driving an accord for the last 10 years, and just want to make sure of a few things.

Reliability is #1 to me... How does the MO stack up to say a toyota or honda?

Will a MO be able to effectively tow 2 full size wave runnners on a tandem trailer?

And what made you choose the MO over say a higlander, lexus, pilot etc?

·
Registered
717 Posts
Try doing a search for the term "comparison".

Try doing a search for the term "towing".

We've been through this many times and while we could regurgitate it all over again, you'll probably find answers to 98% of your questions with a search or two, and a couple hours reading.

Most mid size sedans and coupes (your accord for example) can tow up to 1,000 lbs with the proper hitch. Very few can tow more than 1,000 lbs. Full size vehicles like Toyota Avalon can tow up to 2,000 lbs.

The towing question is all about the total wet weight of what your towing. What's the rig going to weigh, fully loaded with gas and equipment and how far are you going to be pulling it?

Reliability is another question. So far my Nissan's have been just as reliable as the Toyotas and Honda I've owned, but the Nissans last longer with less maintenance cost (and by longer I'm talking 200,000 miles).

·
Registered
545 Posts
Well, I can tell you that I am very satisfied in general with the Murano. I've had mine for 1 year+ with just over 18 thousand miles on it.

I chose the MO because I wanted something more sporty and stylish after driving a '93 Jeep GC for 12 years and 140K miles.

I haven't experienced (knock on wood) some of the major problems like some you will read about in the problems forum. Many are isolated cases and shouldn't be used as a water mark for chosing a Murano. There were some CVT problems, but not enough to issue a recall. In fact, if you search for recalls on the MO, I don't think you'll find one from 2003 - 2005.

There have been issues with door tics, pillar tics, etc. The paint quality is a bit suspect and seems to chip quite easily. The design of the front wipers has been called into question and most likely will not be addressed any time soon.

In spite of a few of the MO's faults though, I love the styling, the quiet, responsive, powerful engine, the AWD handling and the no-shift CVT. Drive one and you'll never go back to a conventional automatic transmission.

Remember that the Mo is a so-called cross over SUV, rides like a sedan in most cases (built on the Altima's frame) and is not trucky like a Jeep GC or Highlander. More comparable to the Lexus 330, Infinity Q35 and the BMW crossover vehicles, I suppose.

My two cents.......try one, buy one, and smile!

·
Registered
238 Posts
We all have been there !

Compared and test drove several. Started of wanting 4Runner, just could not convince mself not to buy Muano.

Have it for about 2 years, have not regretted once.

Top reasons:

Smoothness of CVT

Best MPG of the class.

Best styling of the class.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
From quality and dependabilty stand point, I prefer Honda over both Toyota and Nissan. However, when it came time to buy a new car, I just could not find one that could beat the Murano in looks and value. Plus, Nissan has come a long way from the old days so I am hoping for the best. Murano engine is the top of the line but CVT is untested (at least long term) on a Murano. MO is also full of electronics so protect yourself and buy an extended warranty. You can buy that any time before your factory warranty runs out. So shop around for a good deal.

:)

·
4,601 Posts
Had my Murano since January 2003 and it's on a 4 year lease. I expect my next vehicle will be another one. It's right for me....:D

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
zpac...

Congrats on the new 1st job.

I dont know what kind of job it is and how much you make. A rule of thumb is your monthly payment must be between 0 - 2% of what you make a year, thus the 2% multiply that by 12 = 24% of what you make a year is the max amount should be spent paying for your car annually. A new almost loaded MO will cost around $35K. A base one, like mine, cost $28K new.

By seeing how long you kept your prev car, i think you will like the murano and will also keep it as long. So IMHO, you should not lease the murano.

Try to find a used murano and buy the extended warranty. I think that will give you the best bang for the buck! :4: Remember, no point of driving new car but to make payment it will cost you an arm and a leg every month.

Reliability -- mine is so far so good.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Sugarrush has good advice. A car should never consume a substantial portion of your income. I am not a big believer in car payments either, since its usually cheaper in the long run to buy outright.

If you do get a Murano, make sure to get VDC!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
haha, well I guess I have technically been driving it for 8 years, but it is a 10 year old car... 1995... But yeah, im not getting a new one... im shopping for a nicely used one. I am not a leaser... I am a buyer... Id like to be able to get 5 hassle free years out of it before I get something else. Thanks for the input guys!

·
4,601 Posts
I'd buy with an extended warranty, if long term is what you want. I wasn't suggesting you lease, just saying I'm very happy with the Murano.

I can't have a vehicle longer than 4 years, as part of my car compensation plan, so for me, it makes sense to lease. I also have fairly low milage, as I have a home office.

So far, I'm at an average of around 1100 miles a month. So those both make leasing favourable, as well as the tax benefits since I need it for business purposes and 90% of my driving is business related.

If it had to be for me only, I'd buy a year old one and see how long I could keep it shining and beautiful.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
elliotgb said:
In fact, if you search for recalls on the MO, I don't think you'll find one from 2003 - 2005.
Acutally at least for the 03s there have been I think two recalls, one of the shifter bolt not being tight enough and the other for crank angle sensor. I have an 03 and never researched other years so I can't speak for the 04 and 05s.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got my '05 MO this week, so I can only comment on your last question. I'm coming from a '97 Honda CRV, which was very reliable, but spartan.

I ruled out Pilot pretty quickly. MO has better handling, driving position and comfort. I also felt the interior was nicer and I like the MO's bells and whistles (I have an SL with Touring Package).

I liked the Highlander interior and comfort (except the shifter on the dash), but handling was sluggish. It reminded me of the big boats my parents had in the '70's. I didn't drive the RX 330, because it was priced up out of my range, but I've been told it's really just a spiffed up Highlander.

My number 2 choice was a BMW X3. Handled a little better than MO, and I liked the slightly smaller size better....but, MO is definitely more comfortable and the CVT is smoother than the BMW automatic. At the end of the day I couldn't see paying several thousand more for the BMW when it wasn't superior overall.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts