Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Getting close to reaching 5000 miles mark.
What is the best oil and oil filter to get?

I found this on Amazon:
Oil: Amazon.com: Castrol 03124 EDGE 0W-20 Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil, 5 Quart: Automotive (is there anything better you guys recommend)?
Oil filter: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000276B18/ref=twister_B07BCHV39R?_encoding=UTF8&coliid=IB182TMFUA851&colid=EZHXH8UEAJX6&th=1 (toughguard or extraguard or ultra synthetic better?)

From the manual:

Is there anything else I will need to change the oil by myself?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Read post #75.

Have a good day.

·
Super Moderator
8,292 Posts
My answer to this question is to pick one of three:

Mobil 1
Amsoil
Manufacturer's brand

Any of the three that meets the specifications for oil will be a superior oil. Amsoil is the oldest and most developed brand of synthetic, dating back to 1969. Mobil 1 is close behind, dating to 1974. Both have been continually developed and improved.

In my BMWs, I have gotten in the habit of having an Indy shop do the change with BMW oil and filter. Why BMW insists on using a cartridge filter that has been obsolete since about 1970, I don't know - except "Ve are Germans und ve know ze best vay."

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Costco kirkland brand has full synthetic motor oil 5w-30 and and now 0w-20 for $25 / 2x 5 quarts jug each box. Great deal. I usually get a 6 pack of nissan oil filter along with wiper blade refills from online nissan dealer. (who ever sells it the cheapest along with shipping).

·
Super Moderator
8,292 Posts
It might help if you would explain the difference!
There are not quite eleventy-billion web sites discussing the differences. ;)

Here's one which doesn't get into too much detail for most of us: Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance

Here is an extensive guide which probably has more info than most people want: Synthetic vs. Conventional Oil: The Definitive Guide – AMSOIL Blog

Yes, the second link is to an Amsoil site, but frankly no company knows synthetic oil better than Amsoil; they essentially started the commercial business in synthetics.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
What is commonly available out there are the dino/conventional oil, blended(with synthetic) and full synthetic.

Looks synonymous to me...

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Getting close to reaching 5000 miles mark.
What is the best oil and oil filter to get?

I found this on Amazon:
Oil: Amazon.com: Castrol 03124 EDGE 0W-20 Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil, 5 Quart: Automotive (is there anything better you guys recommend)?
Oil filter: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000276B18/ref=twister_B07BCHV39R?_encoding=UTF8&coliid=IB182TMFUA851&colid=EZHXH8UEAJX6&th=1 (toughguard or extraguard or ultra synthetic better?)

From the manual:
View attachment 51635

Is there anything else I will need to change the oil by myself?

Thank you in advance.
Just did this the other day and have a few notes to share:

--There are a lot of plastic rivets holding the splash shield on the underside so it will help to have a removal tool for those. Oil pan drain plug is 14mm.

--You will also need to remove the front passenger tire and splash shield in order to access the filter. So if you are used to using ramps to raise the vehicle up, that makes things a little bit more complicated because the tire is on the ramp so you have to jack it even higher to get the tire off. I found it was too high for my floor jack. I have a crossbar for my jack, though, and that added enough extra height to raise the tire off the ramp (and I had to do tire rotation anyway so it was handy to have a whole side of the vehicle up at once. Next time I'll skip the ramps and jack the Murano up from the front center and put it on stands to drain.

--Then it will be handy to have some sort of shallow pan (in addition to your normal oil catch pan) to catch the oil from the filter mount because it doesn't have a clear path down to drain. There are structural/suspension parts in the way and the oil will splash all over and make a mess.

--Access to the oil fill hole in the top of the engine is not great; kind of narrow and recessed. Definitely recommend a funnel to make adding oil easier and less messy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

·
Super Moderator
8,292 Posts
"There are a lot of plastic rivets holding the splash shield on the underside so it will help to have a removal tool for those" - is there a removal tool for this? you can buy on amazon? Is this it? Amazon.com: CIKIShield 50 Pcs Retainer Clips and One Plastic Fastener Remover - Stronger Than Original: Automotive. Does anyone know the size of the rivets? (to get replacements in case one gets busted)
VERY nice!!

My experience is that the OEM fasteners become very difficult to work with as soon as they get some dirt and grit on them. Re-using them is a pain. Having replacements and a good removal tool is a brilliant idea and the price is right.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Just did this the other day and have a few notes to share:

--There are a lot of plastic rivets holding the splash shield on the underside so it will help to have a removal tool for those. Oil pan drain plug is 14mm.

--You will also need to remove the front passenger tire and splash shield in order to access the filter. So if you are used to using ramps to raise the vehicle up, that makes things a little bit more complicated because the tire is on the ramp so you have to jack it even higher to get the tire off. I found it was too high for my floor jack. I have a crossbar for my jack, though, and that added enough extra height to raise the tire off the ramp (and I had to do tire rotation anyway so it was handy to have a whole side of the vehicle up at once. Next time I'll skip the ramps and jack the Murano up from the front center and put it on stands to drain.

--Then it will be handy to have some sort of shallow pan (in addition to your normal oil catch pan) to catch the oil from the filter mount because it doesn't have a clear path down to drain. There are structural/suspension parts in the way and the oil will splash all over and make a mess.

--Access to the oil fill hole in the top of the engine is not great; kind of narrow and recessed. Definitely recommend a funnel to make adding oil easier and less messy.
If you read the post I supplied the link to above, I go into great detail on avoiding getting oil all over when removing the oil filter. Also, get a Fomoto valve to replace the drain plug. Once you've installed the Fomoto valve, the next oil change is simple, don't even have to drop the shield. Just attach a 3/8" hose and stick the other end in a jug and open the valve. Not a drop of oil anywhere, except in the jug where it belongs.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ah, I thought that was just a link to walmart but now I see the thread link. That is a slick solution with the milk jug; will have to use that next time. The container I used was just a bit too small. I've used the Fomoto valves for other vehicles but my current Murano is a lease so I didn't bother.

The clip tool I have is more like a pliers, but the one you found on Amazon should work just as well. Agree that those clips tend to get sticky and crack so good to have spares on hand. Sorry, I don't know the size of the ones in the Murano.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It might help if you would explain the difference!
Full synthetic (API Type III) is highly refined petroleum base with synthetic additives. The 100% synthetic (API Type IV) is formulated with a synthetic base and synthetic additives. ... This means that some of the oils that say this are actually a base stock crude oil with synthetic additives.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Full synthetic (API Type III) is highly refined petroleum base with synthetic additives. The 100% synthetic (API Type IV) is formulated with a synthetic base and synthetic additives. ... This means that some of the oils that say this are actually a base stock crude oil with synthetic additives.
The only API type I see under some descriptions are: API SN PLUS, API SN-RC. Where would one find API 3 vs. API 4? Or am I missing something? How would one know if the oil is 100% synthetic? or does "API SN PLUS" mean 100% synthetic?

·
Registered
857 Posts
When I Googled @Juan Gutierrez post regarding full synthetic vs 100% synthetic I learned that Amsoil and Royal Purple are at least two brands that offer API Type IV %100 synthetic oils.

So to find a 100% synthetic motor oil, look for 100% synthetic on the label, not full synthetic.

Reactions: Pilgrim

·
Super Moderator
8,292 Posts
When I Googled @Juan Gutierrez post regarding full synthetic vs 100% synthetic I learned that Amsoil and Royal Purple are at least two brands that offer API Type IV %100 synthetic oils.

So to find a 100% synthetic motor oil, look for 100% synthetic on the label, not full synthetic.
Agreed. Not shilling for Amsoil, but I have used it in various cars since the 1980's and it's the gear oil in the transmission and rear end of my 280ZX. I noticed that when I dumped the standard gear oil and went to the synthetic in the transmission, shifting immediately became easier. Excellent stuff. So are Mobil 1, Royal Purple and Redline, and I consider them to be the top brands. (Note that my opinion is worth exactly what it cost you... ;))

ALL motor oils are much better engineered than they were 40 years ago, and all of the major brands provide good service. But if you do your homework on synthetics, you will find that there are significant benefits, especially if you have a heating problem or component malfunction. I haven't used anything but synthetics for 40 years.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I would not get too caught up in looking for 100% synth base oils. It’s only part of the equation. The detergents/additives is the other. This info is well and good but its just all academic at the end of the day. What is more important is regular OCI regardless of the oil you chose to use (Dino, blended or 100% synthetuc oil).
Having kept cars for 15+ years >200K mikes I never had any engine problems ever because of what oil I use. Some cars I only use Dino oil and the engine just keeps running >200K.. If you are somewhat new in car ownership you always want the best oil for it. Later you will realize that paying for the more expensive oil is not only unnecessary but simply a waste of money. Buy in bulk when on sale you will be ahead of the game. OCI for Dino oil = 3-4K, synthetic= 6-7 K. Change filter every time.

Last month I was able to get 2 cases Of chevron Dino 10w-30 for $10 each At Costco.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts