Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do alot of highway driving and am always fighting to get those bug guts off the front of the car. I've had a invisible bra put on the car in hopes saving the paint. But getting the bug splatters off the invisible bra is harder than getting it off the paint.:3:

So far I've just been using some bug and tar wipes I got at Wal-Mart which work on the small spots, but nothing that has been there longer than a day or two. Any suggestions?

·
Windy City MO :)
137 Posts
Some people have talked about using WD40. I personally got to a "do-it yourself" carwash and use the power hose or if I'm at home, I dumped some warm water on the front end, gently rub with a 100% cotton towel and keep re-applying warm water.

Something else that I find that works, is, before I go on a road trip, I apply several coats of wax to the front end and the bugs usually come off with ease.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I also heard there are paint-safe "bug sponges". I imagine they're a little more abrasive than a towel, for getting those guts off.

I'm not sure if I would use one of those, though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Put on a couple of coats of good wax before you go. I would really stay away from anything with an abrasive surface like a a bug sponge or a kitchen sponge. Something like that will really scratch the clear coat. I wax our cars quite a bit and have no problems with getting 80MPH bug splatters off. Also consider using RAIN-X on your windows to help with the splatters on there too.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Doombringer said:
I also heard there are paint-safe "bug sponges". I imagine they're a little more abrasive than a towel, for getting those guts off.

I'm not sure if I would use one of those, though.
I have been using a bug pad for years without hitch. Haven't found a bug that won't come off with a little Dawn, water and bug pad. The trick is to keep them clean, replace them often (they are cheap), and don't drop them (throw away). I doubt bug stuff is hard enough to scratch clear coat, at least I never have.

·
Registered
28 Posts
DO NOT USE WD-40 on the murano's paint. It will eat up the paint and make it dull.

If you need to clean bugs off, I suggest using a clay bar.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Eek, don't use a clay bar. Clay bars are not designed for removing bugs!

Just get a bug pad/sponge or look for a "bug remover" liquid. Just don't use a clay bar. That's like using a scimitar to butter your morning toast...

·
Registered
792 Posts
I thought about the analogy of "Using a sledge hammer for a finishing nail."

Either way....Liquid Bug & Tar Remover from Turtle Wax - couple bucks for a can. DO NOT get the Aerosol type - it is basically gasoline in a can. It takes the bugs off - however probably a little more harsh then it really needs to be.

Use a soft cloth also - this is very important on a black car as harder towels tend to scratch.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Citrus Bug Remover

The car care guys recommend citrus bug removers (and also warn of sponges and other things that can scratch).

Most of the "store" brands (Turtle, etc.) use gasoline or kerosene to remove tar and bugs. Car care Guys warn of paint damage and recommend the citrus type.

All I have is the kerosene type, but it works (gently, quicky, etc.).

Goo Gone (which is hard to find in Canada) says it can remove bugs from the car. It did a great job removing the parking sticker from previous employer.

·
Registered
65 Posts
citrus cleaners

The wierd thing is that you can find Citrus product that REMOVE paint. I rehabilitated a piano with one that would melt the varnish if you left it on too long (same with degreasers).

I am not sure there is anything magically safe about citrus oil, except the idea that it came from an orange.

Also the bug and tar removers I have used seem to work better on tar and other oil-based muck than bug guts. My experience has been a soak in warm water and a rag has worked best for guts. I'll have to try one of those bug sponges if they don't look too abrasive!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I realize this is an ancient thread but I was directed to it earlier and thought I'd throw out a method that's worked for me for years.

Bounce Dryer Sheets. Wet them, they will wipe bugs off almost effortlessly. Don't let the stuff dry. Something in the chemical and the very mildly abrasive sheet itself does a number on the evil little finish spoilers.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The most effective thing I have ever used is "Spray-Nine". My friend at the local auto parts/supply store says she has been using it for years and it has not dulled her paint at all (I can attest to the great condition of the paint, but have to take her word when she says she has been using it for years). We have swarms of dragon flies, wasps, locusts, and 'quito's that would make a frog drool, so bug removal is a huge issue for me.

I have used Spray-Nine to do this---spray on, sit for a minute, wash gently with a cloth, and rinse off. Easy as pie. Make sure you do not get the concentrated Spray-Nine, as it would probably be too harsh, and can actually strip latex paint off a wall. I have not noticed any ill effects, but my car is only a few months old.

And the Rain-X makes cleaning the crap off the windshield so much easier, and it keeps the windshield cleaner, longer.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Be careful w/ Simple Green, I've seen it leave spots on paint that are a lot of fun to try and get out.

(I've been professionally detailing cars for about 17 years and have had more partially used bottles of "magic" than I can count :) )

1 - 15 of 15 Posts