Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
'03 SE 2WD Cold Pkg, VDC
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is some "getting used to" with the CVT. I'm curious on what is the best way to accelerate. It seems that a slow steady depression of the accelerator produces continuous acceleration. You just can't tromp it and wait. Once you get above 4 grand the MO seems to really kick in.

Is the CVT used in racing? I would like to know the best technique or experiences for accelerating.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
26 Posts
There is a SCCA (road racing) class that uses a CV transmission.
Formula 500 (F500), these open wheeled cars are powered by 2 cylinder 500cc water cooled 2cycle engines coupled to a race modified CVT.
They are quite fast! 0-60 in less than 4sec's, with a top speed over 145mph. They also handle quite well pulling nearly 2 G's in the turns.

The CVT allows the engine to maintain about 8,500 rpm while the car accelerates up towards top speed. The sensation is very similar to Ds in the MO. (Just exaggerated a bit).
I've had the pleasure of driving a F500 on a race track, & it was quite a rush!

When I first heard about the MO, and it's CVT, I just had to check it out. I guess the F500 had an influence on my decision to by a MO! :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Why, Yes I do! (Know what kind of CVT)

Back in the early days of the class, It was called F440. The engine and CVT were modified snowmobile parts. As the class gained popularity, (& speed!!) the engines & CVT's became dedicated parts.
They are now made from the ground up, just for racing.

Now, F500 is a serious National level class. The cars are alot faster now, than when I drove one.

I believe that the CVT still is basically a rubber belt that rides on two variable diameter pulleys.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I should mention, that a major reason why such a small engine can propel a car at such speed, is because of the CVT! It really makes the most out of the motor!

·
5,268 Posts
My first “encounter” with CVT was in late 60’s or early 70’s. One of the Spanish made mopeds was using this technology. I did not pay much attention to it that time.

A few years ago (back in my Australian days) I was looking for a new car for my wife. We test drove a Honda Civic equipped with CVT. I was quite an experience. The car was amazingly quiet and smooth driving. During hard acceleration the engine rpm stayed at a fixed speed while the car accelerated quite rapidly. I liked it. In the end we opted for a bigger car. However, I have never forgotten feeling that CVT gives. So when Murano entered the market and I read about the CVT - the rest is history.

How to accelerate? Like in any other car. Recently I drove on a 2line road following a BMW. I got annoyed as even though speed limit was 45 mph the guy was doing 25! I flipped to “S” and pressed the pedal. Before I knew it I was doing 60 mph! passing the BIMMER quickly:D Yes, there was a little bit of torque steer but I could handle it. I was nicely surprised by the car performance. And it goes for both the engine and transmission.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Another question.

The Ds mode... well I think it stands for Sports... but w/e... anyways... is it ok to use when u first enter the highway and want to accelerate quicker? I mean I think it accelerates quicker in that mode... right? I know they say you use it for improved engine braking, but can I use it to accelerate onto the highway and then turn it off? switch back? What is the best way to use this mode, I don't wanna mess up my tranny!! Thanks guys!

·
5,268 Posts
Murano_MDX

The CVT, unlike a “classic” automatic tranny, has an infinite number of gear ratios. What the D, S and L do is simply change the curve that he computer is following. If you look at the tacho you will see that by switching from D to S engine gains approximately 1,500 RPM. It translates to better braking and acceleration. I do not use this mode often as I still am trying to treat this baby gently……..

When entering the highway, just push the accelerator pedal deeper and you will see the result. Anyway, try to experiment. I do not believe that you can mess up the tranny. In the end computer is controlling all of the functions.

·
'03 SE 2WD Cold Pkg, VDC
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for your response. Let's get a little more detailed.

I have a tendancy, from traditional tranny's, to let off the gas a little as I "sense" that I am getting to my intended speed, I believe around 4K RPM. With the CVT this causes an immediate slow down.

If I mash the gas, the acceleration seems to bog down a little and it it not as brisk.

If I progressively step on the gas and then step it up a little around 3500 - 4000 it seems I get the best response.

Am I imagining this?

I have used the "S" mode for going up inclines and notice that this puts you in a different area of the torque curve. What is the optimum torque range?

thanks all again.

·
5,268 Posts
Hm……..Interesting observation. I had same feeling. At least twice. Accelerated by depressing the pedal fully. Then when I was backing off, probably doing 60 mph I felt some kind of surge of power. Definitely will have to do some testing. Later this week I guess.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Murano_MDX said:
Another question.

The Ds mode... well I think it stands for Sports... but w/e... anyways... is it ok to use when u first enter the highway and want to accelerate quicker? I mean I think it accelerates quicker in that mode... right? I know they say you use it for improved engine braking, but can I use it to accelerate onto the highway and then turn it off? switch back? What is the best way to use this mode, I don't wanna mess up my tranny!! Thanks guys!
I use S and L all the time, for accelerating and decelerating.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Kris said:
Hm……..Interesting observation. I had same feeling. At least twice. Accelerated by depressing the pedal fully. Then when I was backing off, probably doing 60 mph I felt some kind of surge of power. Definitely will have to do some testing. Later this week I guess.
I have felt that too. Almost like the computer is adjusting cautiously.

·
5,268 Posts
Had a long and boring drive down to Jacksonville and decided to do some experimenting with accelerating. The results:

Normal driving: cruise control on, speed 70 mph, transmission in “D”. Engine revs 2,000. Flipped to “S”. Revs increased to 4,500. That’s a lot!

1st test – 70 mph, cruise control. Smashed the gas in “D”. Revs relatively quickly went to 5,500 and car accelerated quite OK. At approximately 80 mph the revs started to increase, though slowly. Had to back off because of traffic.

2nd test – 70 mph, cruise control. Flipped to “S”, waited couple of seconds for engine to stabilize and smashed the gas. Revs went very quickly, almost instantaneously to 6,500. Car really accelerated!

It seems that if you really need to accelerate “S” position offers much better performance. Did not try the max speed in “S”.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm with Enforcer on this one. I use Ds all the time just as though I'm driving a standard. When I want to accellerate fast, I slide it to Ds, then hit the gas. When I'm getting off the highway, I cancel the cruise control, then slip it into Ds and tap the brake. It seems sometimes as though the computer doesn't kick in the full engine braking until it "hears" you hit the brake pedal, then I feel a braking surge form the engine/tranny until I drop to around 30MPH, then I use the brakes or drop into L for a bit first.

My theory on using the Ds and L modes is to do it now while the car is under warranty - if it's going to break, I want it to happen sooner than later.

Using Ds to accellerate is really a great feeling of power - this thing flies! The only downside is the touque-steer. Sometimes it's startling. I'm sur eI'll get used to it, but for now, the last car I drove with this much pickup was my 1985 300ZX - no torque-steer there.

Jon

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ran virtually the same tests as Kris with the same results. Got close to a 100 but didn't check tach...to busy looking for other_aah_ cars.:rolleyes:

·
4,664 Posts
I flip from D to Ds a fair bit and it's not speed limited. I don't have any issues with torque steer (It's noting compared to what my FWD Maxima had!) but I expect it's worse when you don't have an AWD Murano.

·
'03 SE 2WD Cold Pkg, VDC
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good discussion

The peak torque comes in at 4400RPM. If you take the standard transmission approach you would accelerate in Ds up to 4400 and then shift back to D and keep going. This way the engine stays in the optimum torque range.

As far as tranny wear and tear, "down shifting" would have more long-term impact on the piston rings. This is the theory with a standard transmission. It's cheaper to replace brakes versus engine work. I guess the moderation rule comes into play here.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I remember reading in the owners guide, it said the optimum way to accelerate was to depress the pedal fully and then back off to about 80%...
I have tried this a few times in D and noticed I got up to speed a lot quicker..
Ds seems to really help accerlation once your going, but doesn't really help you off the line much faster.

-Tim

·
4,664 Posts
My perception has been that it accelerates quicker at 80% than floored. Weird, ain't it....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts