Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:3: Some a$$hole made a 12" scratch on my drivers side door. It's a deep one, as I can feel the groove into my paint.

What's the best way to cover this up other than getting a new painted door? I was thinking of using touch up paint - any ideas?

-samwlee

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
touch up paint is quite noticable. i suggest getting a small damage repair where they just blend in the affected area. reputable body shops in your area should be able to fix the problem.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I read about another process in here somewhere whereby one dabbed paint in the 'groove' and then with a piece of plastic and some very fine compound 'sanded' the overflow flat to the original surface. Sanded in quotes because it is labourious, time consuming and waaaay too fussy for me. Come to think of it, I got this from a fiero website where the guy wanted to maintain his original paint for concours purposes.

I'd grind the sucker to the metal, prime and spray the whole door if I were you. :cool: Think of it as an opportunity to learn new skills, and get new tools!!!

and btw, sorry about your crappy luck. People can be jerks all too often.

·
Registered
78 Posts
If the scratch does not go beneath the paint, I would try first to buff it out with "Scratch Out" or something like that. I have had some good results with that on scratches that I thought would not buff out. I think it would be worth a try before using touch up paint or some other method that could make an even worse problem.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Enforcer.. I'll check out that site.. has anyone used the Langka system?

·
Registered
12,512 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
I tried the Lanka system and it does work well after some practice. It certainly is a lot better than attempting to sand down the touch up paint. Putting on touch up paint smoothly is much easier on the hood and places that lay down rather than being vertical like the doors and fenders.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rwm3100.. so did you buy the complete kit ($39.95)? Looks fairly straightforward... any tips you can provide?

rwm3100 said:
I tried the Lanka system and it does work well after some practice. It certainly is a lot better than attempting to sand down the touch up paint. Putting on touch up paint smoothly is much easier on the hood and places that lay down rather than being vertical like the doors and fenders.

·
Registered
78 Posts
samwlee said:
rwm3100.. so did you buy the complete kit ($39.95)? Looks fairly straightforward... any tips you can provide?

I do not remember exactly what I purchased. I think it was only the liquid paint softener, but it came with a plastic piece like a blank credit card to smooth it down.

As far as tips, I would recommend you find a chip or something down near the bottom of the car and practice on it first. You also have to make sure the paint is completely dry before using the softener. One good thing about the product is that if your touch up paint job does not look so good, let the paint set up for few minutes and use the Lanska. Rubbing enough will take out the touch up paint, but not bother the factory paint. So, if nothing else, the Lanska will let you correct mistakes!

·
Read Only
554 Posts
I used the Langka stuff and wasn't overly impressed. But that was probably due to my skill (or lack thereof). It will remove excess touch up paint. My problem was that it kept taking off the stuff in the chip as well as around it!! I guess it takes more skill than I possess or more patience/practice or both!

JC

1 - 11 of 11 Posts