Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As most have come to realize, the cargo lighting leaves much to be desired. First, if you have to access your car jack at night, the existing light is on the wrong side to be helpful, even with the brightest LED bulb you can put in there.

I've found LED lighting modules that replace the small access panels on the hatch door, but nothing for the Murano.

So I decided that I'd create my own. Here's a few pictures. The first one shows the first one completed and lit up, along with the few things need for the project. I bought the access panels for about $10 total. $10 for 5 LED panels, $5 for 5 small hobby boxes, and $12 for a 12" x 12" piece of white plexiglass.

The next one shows where there's a very convenient place to cut out for a light placement.

The last two photos are showing both pieces completed, the second showing the back of one of the access panels.

IMG_20200324_124337.jpg

I plan on finishing the wiring and installing them tomorrow. I'll post pictures of the lighting looks before and after. I plan on taking a few pictures of the installation and will post them if requested. Not sure if I want to take the time to do a video of the install. I might do a quick video showing the hatch opening before the new lighting and after the new lights are installed on the hatch.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finished up the cargo area lighting project. Not quite as bright as I'd like, but much better then it was. Definitely adds more light to the area. Here's a couple of pictures and a short before and after video. Kind of hard to see the difference on video, but you can see that there's generally more light after in the area.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Looks great! Can you please provide links where did you buy all parts with exact part numbers?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Looks good! I put this in my Murano when I had it. I tied it into the led trunk light and mounted it in the trunk. It was super bright. I thought of running wires to the other side as well to making it super bright but didn’t need to with just this one. Wish I had the pictures but I sold the vehicle 3 months ago.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Looks great! Can you please provide links where did you buy all parts with exact part numbers?
I got everything on Amazon except for the access panels.

The LED assemblies:

White acrylic for lens:

Hobby box to hold LED assembly. Shave off the little nips that hold it together:

Access panels if you want to save your originals, part # 5. You have to order left & right:

On a side note, I'm creating another set of lights using the access panels I removed. When finished, I'll be offering the set for sale here on the forum with instructions on the installation. If anyone is interested, please let me know.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Prices for the parts are in the listings.

If asking about the lighting assembly I'm making, I'm thinking between $35 - $40 and your old access panels so that I can make even another set.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
2009 Nissan Murano LE AWD
1 Posts
As most have come to realize, the cargo lighting leaves much to be desired. First, if you have to access your car jack at night, the existing light is on the wrong side to be helpful, even with the brightest LED bulb you can put in there.

I've found LED lighting modules that replace the small access panels on the hatch door, but nothing for the Murano.

So I decided that I'd create my own. Here's a few pictures. The first one shows the first one completed and lit up, along with the few things need for the project. I bought the access panels for about $10 total. $10 for 5 LED panels, $5 for 5 small hobby boxes, and $12 for a 12" x 12" piece of white plexiglass.

View attachment 51343

The next one shows where there's a very convenient place to cut out for a light placement.

View attachment 51344

The last two photos are showing both pieces completed, the second showing the back of one of the access panels.

View attachment 51345

View attachment 51346

I plan on finishing the wiring and installing them tomorrow. I'll post pictures of the lighting looks before and after. I plan on taking a few pictures of the installation and will post them if requested. Not sure if I want to take the time to do a video of the install. I might do a quick video showing the hatch opening before the new lighting and after the new lights are installed on the hatch.

Have a good day.
I just wanted to say that I love this idea!! I have been racking my brains to come up with a clean looking way to get extra light in the cargo area and this is perfect. Cost effective too judging by the looks. Thank you for posting this and especially for posting all the pics! I shall be getting busy on my own soon.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just wanted to say that I love this idea!! I have been racking my brains to come up with a clean looking way to get extra light in the cargo area and this is perfect. Cost effective too judging by the looks. Thank you for posting this and especially for posting all the pics! I shall be getting busy on my own soon.
Thanks. It was fun figuring everything out and seeing it come to fruition. My wife's 2013 Rav4 has the same panels so I created a set for her car also. She went down in the middle of the night to check it out in the pitch dark. She loved it.

I'm creating another set for the Murano and I plan on using clear lexan that I've hit with scotchbrite on one side to give it a frosted look and hopefully let more light thru then the white lexan currently does.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Hi Paul,

Finding stuff to do during the lockdown, stay safe...

I like the idea, but not sure if I would have done it that way.
The light placement is not pointing straight down the cargo, but rather outside with the trunk fully opened.
On your video I did not see much difference in lighting the cargo area.

I would have used 2 of these LED, and mount it right on top where the trunk trim is angled toward the cargo aread.
They would look nice, and they are pretty bright, they are also flush mounted and less work.
I thought about doing that a long time ago, but never followed through.

assad

1 - 13 of 13 Posts