Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a lot of the threads. Man, Some of the stuff is interesting, but I don't have the background nor the time to delve deep into some of the technical jargon. Tons of great engineers. But I am not one of them.

I am looking at upgrading my Bose Stereo in my '04. From reading the threads, it became obvious that I

1. Need to replace the tweeters up front
2. Will replace the front 6x9s
3. Add a sub-amp for the sub-woofer
4. Add Sirius

Here is what I am being "sold" after my convincing the audio dealer I did not need to replace everything :)

1 JL Audio 2 channel Amp
1 JL Audio Bass Control knob to be hidden up front
1 MB Quartz 6x9 set for the front doors
1 JL Audio 1.5 in tweeters for up front
1 Sirius Sat with "mouse" hidden in pannel behind upper rear break light

and of course their installation..

Not worried so much on the price as what you folks think it will sound like after the fact. From the sight, seems like a lot of folks are heavy into stereo. I just want it to sound better than it does, as I am used to more premium sound in my vehicles. I don't do the work to install anymore, those days have passed by me, but I do like to know what I am putting in is going to get better results, so any opinions would be appreciated!!!!

Didn't want to post this in the front section, because the threads on audio say, read the threads on audio, which I have done. This was my summary excercise from that effort. My question is also around the sub-amp. They want to power the sub-woofer with the sub amp. Should I add a sub-amp to the front speakers as well? Is it worth it?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
629 Posts
I didn't see where you said you were going to buy a sub... but I do see a 2-channel amp.

If you are buying a sub to go with, where are you putting it? Custom box? Standard "cube" box sitting in the cargo area?

You might want to use a PAC Audio adapter, otherwise you may end up with engine noise though the amplifier. I'm not very familiar with the setup of the non-Bose audio system. Is there a factory amp, or are the factory speakers powered off the head unit?

You'll definately get a more powerful, cleaner sound to push your 6x9s if you put a solid aftermarket amp on them. Why not just get a nice 4 channel and power all your door speakers instead of just the fronts? You'll get a better sound that way. If you're putting tweeters in the dash, you'll need a crossover (passive is fine) -- the JL Audio tweeters might come with one.

It will definately sound better than what you have... the question is -- what specificially are you looking to achieve?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Oh wait...... you said you had a Bose system, I didn't notice that.

If you have a Bose system, you do not have 6x9's in the front -- you have 6.5" round speakers. They are 2ohm, not 4ohm, something to be aware of if hooking up factory speakers to an aftermarket amp. You could just try the tweeter capacitor trick to really brighten up your sound, you don't have to be an engineer to do it. Just go to radio shack and buy the pieces, and if you don't know how to solder (it's really not hard) I'm sure you know someone who does -- if you don't, just disconnect the tweeters and take them, and the capacitors, to a TV/stereo repair shop and they'll do it for you cheaply, I'm sure they'll only charge you for a half hour's labor or what-not. A decent aftermarket sub amp will help your bass. GripperDon did that and said it made a world of difference.

Why go with an aftermarket Sirius when the factory unit will integrate into your system so nicely, steering wheel controls, integrated display, etc?

·
Registered
278 Posts
special-k said:
You could just try the tweeter capacitor trick to really brighten up your sound, you don't have to be an engineer to do it.
I definitely recommend trying the tweeter cap mod first. Several of us have done it, and are enjoying improved sound for only a very few dollars.

Here's a link to the Tweeter thread, beginning with Zelmosan's post for the fix. Read thru, see the pics and what others have thought and decide for yourself. It's been well worth it to me! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts