Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a new member to the forum, I’ve taken time to look around the different threads and one area really fascinates me - Accessories. At this point I would like to say, please do not take this a criticism of any sort it just my curiosity at what makes individuals’ tick.

I am pondering why individuals take a perfectly good looking car, inside and out, and modify it to the point where it becomes something else? I’m not talking about renovating an old car as a hobby or building a custom hot rod etc.

Additionally, I can understand fitting accessories that: protect the vehicle, increase safety and help with storage etc. But beyond that, what is it all about? Why do people go to extraordinary lengths to turn an elegant, sophisticated vehicle into something it’s not?

What is the mind-set and/or thinking behind it?

Too reiterate this is not a criticism and I fully understand that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
:)

·
Registered
522 Posts
Personalization.

I like driving something unique, which the Mo was when it first came out, but now everybody seems to have one :rolleyes: :D .

·
5,268 Posts
Phil-KSA,

no offense but you need to live in the States for a while to understand it.........I was once like you. Now I understand...........or rather hope to understand..;)

·
Registered
472 Posts
Phil-KSA said:
As a new member to the forum, I’ve taken time to look around the different threads and one area really fascinates me - Accessories. At this point I would like to say, please do not take this a criticism of any sort it just my curiosity at what makes individuals’ tick.

I am pondering why individuals take a perfectly good looking car, inside and out, and modify it to the point where it becomes something else? I’m not talking about renovating an old car as a hobby or building a custom hot rod etc.

Additionally, I can understand fitting accessories that: protect the vehicle, increase safety and help with storage etc. But beyond that, what is it all about? Why do people go to extraordinary lengths to turn an elegant, sophisticated vehicle into something it’s not?

What is the mind-set and/or thinking behind it?

Too reiterate this is not a criticism and I fully understand that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
:)
I agree, I don't really get it either. Most of these mods do nothing for the resale and may actually hurt the value.

·
Registered
522 Posts
It has nothing to do with resale, only truly foolish mod'ers don't realize that they will never get a single dollar they invest in aftermarket parts back out again, and may infact decrease the car's value even more.

Nissan made a great platorm here, but that doesn't mean it's perfect for each indivudal owner, and then as I said above there is that drive in some to be unique purely for the sake of being unique.

Look, some people see cars as tools for point A to point B transportation. Some people see cars as a platform for public expression of their personality. Neither is wrong, it's just different perspectives and different uses for the same vehicle.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kris,

No offense taken you could well be correct. When I was a kid, growing up in the UK, customising your car was not a big deal.
Therefore, it may well be more of a cultural thing. :cool:

·
5,268 Posts
Phil-KSA

I had the opportunity to live on three continents - Europe, Australia and now in USA. It is interesting to see different cultures, way of living, people priorities. Even in USA there are huge difference between East and West, North and South. ANd there is Texas, and Florida. And California with Terminator....

In many case people behavour has nothing to do with money. Oh, and beauty is in the eyes.........you know the rest.

I ialways watch with fun interns comming from Germany, how they act right after arrival and a few months later.

I like Murano for its clean, elegant lines, performance, comfort and so on. Would I do some mods? Unlikely. But I can understand people who do it. And let them do and enjoy it. Do not try to understand.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Now lemme see Phil....

You put a bug deflector on your car.......Oh that's right, that's "protective".....

Got it.

uh......
But then you "mod" the bug deflector........color match the paint..........
Why would you do that?

Maybe because you think it looks better that way?

Me too.:1:

I wonder if others....................hmmnnnn.

Homer

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
As long as my mom and my GF and my sister(S)

are still buying Louis Vutton bags or Gucci wallet or Feragamo clothings for $1K a pop, then modding my car is still justifiable. :2:

Here is USA, there is the saying:
"The Difference between a man and a boy, is the price of his toy" :p

Happy modding! :4:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Homer

Yes, see were you are coming from. "And why would I do that ? ......" Bottom line wife did not like to black one; she who must be obeyed?

And in my defense (poor one at that) having had the hood chipped rather badly on a journey to Amman in Jordan, with only 1000ks on the clock, thought I'd do something about it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SugarRushMurano

Your Mom, GF and sister should go shopping with the wife: if it ain’t got a label on it, it don’t get brought!

However, as the wife cannot drive in Saudi I can’t really complain, can I? And she works as a teacher here, so its her money.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Motivation

Gentlemen

The original question was an interest in what motivates individuals to go to great lengths to mod their vehicles, I was not condemning it in anyway. It a free world, well nearly.

·
4,664 Posts
Modifications come from needs and desires...

Where they get strange for some, is when they don't understand the motivation, or don't agree with the motivation for the mod. Many mods have nothing to do with improvement, performance, or addressing "real" needs, but instead address perceived needs. Peer pressure, or the desire to fit in with a group of people can drive some interesting behaviour in selection and application of modifications.

Others can look at those mods and be totally confused as to why anyone in their right mind, would want to do that.

Much of it's personal taste as well. Many mods that are perceived by some to be improvements to the appearance of the vehicle, are seen as blemishes on an already beautiful design.

I think the best part of mods is the freedom of choice to do it, or not do it... Some like lots of bling, others like sleepers, and others like stock.

I think the first mods came from vehicles that truly needed them, either to be reliable, or just better. It's tough to make the Murano much better than it already is, so our selection of mods is pretty limited!:) I think my favourite mods would be to the reliability of the alternator and transmission.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
From what has been said so far, it’s my understanding that it could be identified as 2 motivational factors:

a. Self-actualisation: Would be the individual that modifies to gain satisfaction out of the fact that he/she can actually do it - complex modifications done by themselves. Additionally, would more than likely go for either stock or less impact?

b. Status: Would more than likely be an individual that wants to be noticed, “look what I’ve done and/or drive” and, therefore, would be more ‘bling”?

Just some thoughts from the posts and private messages.

Jaak, I agree on the alternator and CVT mods and hope Nissan get it right. We have a 2005 model so the alternator should not be a problem and as I understand the CVT has extra cooling? Also agree with the freedom of choice; its your car, do what you will.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Phil I never meant to infer that you were critical of mods.
Just curious.
I share your curiosity.
I think jaak has a handle on it.

Some things just cause me to shake my head.
Purple lights UNDER the car?
Cars that bounce up and down?
Limo tint on front side windows?
Spinner Wheels?

Other things that I wouldn't do, but understand.......
4" coffee can exhaust
Race decals and emblems

I remember when we were young and wanted to customize our cars and make them faster...but we were nearly broke. We would actually punch a hole in the muffler to make the car sound "racy". (Never mind that it actually made the car sound like the muffler had a leak. ;) )
I had a buddy who took his 49 ford to a speedometer shop and had them replace a gear in the speedo.
His car could do over 100 MPH in second gear.
I saw it myself! :D

Wouldn't it be neat if we really could get a replacement alternator that was guaranteed for 100K for say........$200?

Homer

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
Phil-KSA said:
From what has been said so far, it’s my understanding that it could be identified as 2 motivational factors:

a. Self-actualisation: Would be the individual that modifies to gain satisfaction out of the fact that he/she can actually do it - complex modifications done by themselves. Additionally, would more than likely go for either stock or less impact?

b. Status: Would more than likely be an individual that wants to be noticed, “look what I’ve done and/or drive” and, therefore, would be more ‘bling”?

Just some thoughts from the posts and private messages.
You forgot about actual improvement. I'm likely to do things for reason A, but take my sound system upgrades for example. I already knew I could do and I didn't upgrade my sound system for anyone but me. The people I know couldn't give a ____ how good the sound system in my car is, they would never bother with anything but stock.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts