Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I've been thinking about it for a while now... painting the MO's grill black. I've oftened wondered how it would look. Well today on my way into work I saw a Black MO with a black painted front grill. As I thought it looked just awesome. I wanted to talk to the owner so bad and find out details but it wasn't possible.

The other owner also had modified his fogs to be used as DTRL too... geesh this owner had it all.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I think it'd be hard to find a shop to paint the stock 'chrome' grill. I've often thought about doing this also. I'm sure it looked killer.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh I think if you went to any body shop they could do it. It couldn't cost more than $75 I would guess.

·
4,601 Posts
Yeah, that looks sharp on the white.... I like it!

Don't you hate it when you post and forget the picture? I've not seen a way around that without reposting and then deleting the non-pic containing post.

·
Registered
174 Posts
That one looks like a nice color match with the bumper insert below those additional foglights.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Painted it myself,a little prep work and sprayed with can.It came out
real nice,I have a lot of can painting experience.I tried a dealer body shop, they said "can't do it". B.S. The grill has a coating on it over the chrome so you aren't painting chrome. The extra lights are driving lights and my fogs are DTRL.

·
Enjoying the ride…
452 Posts
Wow, looks sharp. I also have a White Pearl and I wish I can do the same painting job you did. :29:

·
Registered
470 Posts
MOpar said:
Painted it myself,a little prep work and sprayed with can.It came out
real nice,I have a lot of can painting experience.I tried a dealer body shop, they said "can't do it". B.S. The grill has a coating on it over the chrome so you aren't painting chrome. The extra lights are driving lights and my fogs are DTRL.
What color and type of paint did you use ? What preparation is necessary and did you remove the grill to paint it ?

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I always invisioned the need to sand blast the grill prior to painting sticking to it well enough.

·
Registered
281 Posts
The grill was out. I wiped it down using a deglosser. Painted with
Dupli-Color truck,van and suv universal black metalic acrylic lacquer. Tricky to get all angles/surfaces smooth without running.Would have liked to clear coat also but didn't. Rear hatch Nissan emblem painted also.I've had my chrome days.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Mid 2007's have painted grills??

I just saw a tv ad showing new mo's with painted grills to match the body paint ... the ad was something about selling 1,000 Nissans (do not know if its a national or a Philadelphia local only).

Ever since a girl friend of mine said the grill looked like a chrome jack-o-lantern grin I've wanted to get rid of it.

My mo is black, so I'd have to have it match 100% to be happy ... thinking it might look better with a after market grill painted black ... or "black chrome" ... guess the best way would be to load PhotoShop and do some color replacements (etc.)

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Margatenj-

I saw the same commercial.

There is no mistaking the Mo's black grille. Unfortunately that one commercial is the only place where the black grille is shown. Maybe it is a teaser for the 2008 model year?

-njjoe

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I saw the commerical too... I'm thinking that is like the current grill, grayish color and pehraps the lighting in the commerical make it appear as black.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Gonzo said:
I saw the commerical too... I'm thinking that is like the current grill, grayish color and pehraps the lighting in the commerical make it appear as black.
I mentioned this commercial about a week ago in another thread.

The grill shown is black like all the other Nissans in the commercial. I believe the commercial is a computer animation of the cars and trucks shown, and maybe doesn't represent any real change to the Murano.

·
V.I.P Member
149 Posts
Your grill looks awesome, great job!

·
autodistinctions.com
103 Posts
Finally got my grill finished. Will install in a day or two. What do you think?

·
autodistinctions.com
103 Posts
Trying to post the picture.

Attachments

·
autodistinctions.com
103 Posts
It took me about 4 days to remove the chrome, it was peeling off a little all ready. Took about another day to cut and shape it and apply mesh. When I took it to the body shop I told them "no hurry" so it took about 2 weeks for them to get to it. Now it is done and I can't wait to install. Gonna give the paint a couple of days to set just as a precautionary measure.

·
Registered
170 Posts
JTKSDB said:
What do you think?
Looks great, can't wait to see it on. If you don't mind me asking, how much did the body shop charge to do the work?

1 - 20 of 101 Posts