Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so what do you guys use to detail the trim on the outside?
for example, the roof rails, and area beneath them,
and the edge around the rear little side windows.

i have been using lexol for vinyl, but am not sure if there is something better to use.

thanks,
Nerf

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nfilippelli said:
so what do you guys use to detail the trim on the outside?
for example, the roof rails, and area beneath them,
and the edge around the rear little side windows.

i have been using lexol for vinyl, but am not sure if there is something better to use.

thanks,
Nerf
on these areas i have been using the lexol product as well,
seem to work fine on them,
the lexol does not seem to work as well on the other areas i mentioned.

-Nerf

·
'03 SE 2WD Cold Pkg, VDC
143 Posts

CopperKat...

I've read about this product and finally purchased some. Can I also use it in the interior like the ole Armorall?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Re: 303

LKimura said:
CopperKat...

I've read about this product and finally purchased some. Can I also use it in the interior like the ole Armorall?
You can use it on the interior. Since I don't use a sunshade, I use it on my dashboard to give it some added protection.

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
Black Trim

I have used Collinite #845 on black trim for about 10 years--it won't turn white, it won't crystalize like armorall. You can wax everything you can imagine with this stuff. It wears like iron and is detergent proof. It feels as though it is oily when dry it is so slick. I got mine from a bro inlaw who sells chemicals. Use it very sparingly, a capfull will do the whole hood. Use it once then wait 3 weeks then once more and it stays for a year.

Collinite

:2:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Re: Rear bumper protector, too.

Dennis Fink said:
Add the black trim beneath the doors, rear bumper protector and the splash guards to the list. At 13 months old, mine are really getting discolored.
good old armor all works great for me on these areas, not sure about on the roof rails though.

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
photag....I beg to differ....

I once spent the better part of a day with one of my buddies removing crystalized armor all from his Toyota black plastic with a tooth brush and wicked trichlor stuff. It wasn't the first time I have seen this. The guy who owned this Toyota even put it on his hoses on his engine.

I had a Venture with black side moulding and used collinite on one side and various things on the other. The one with collinite was always BLACK and shiny, even after 2 years!

As far as doing the interior plastic and door seals, the best thing I have found for that is.....Toyota leather and vinyl treatment. I have had a can of that for 15 years from my 4x4....when I traded it in after four years of outside parking, all I had to do was wipe the dash with a dry towel and it was dust free and shiny.

·
Registered
32 Posts
mgthe3 said:
photag....I beg to differ....

I once spent the better part of a day with one of my buddies removing crystalized armor all from his Toyota black plastic with a tooth brush and wicked trichlor stuff. It wasn't the first time I have seen this. The guy who owned this Toyota even put it on his hoses on his engine.

I had a Venture with black side moulding and used collinite on one side and various things on the other. The one with collinite was always BLACK and shiny, even after 2 years!

As far as doing the interior plastic and door seals, the best thing I have found for that is.....Toyota leather and vinyl treatment. I have had a can of that for 15 years from my 4x4....when I traded it in after four years of outside parking, all I had to do was wipe the dash with a dry towel and it was dust free and shiny.
i've personally never had a problem with it, never heard of it crystalizing either. i've used it on all my cars and never had anything like that happen. so until something goes wrong with it i'll stick with armor all.

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
go for it.
This is the only stuff that guy used as well--at least that is what I saw him use. If I knew where he was in Atlanta, I would let him tell ya. It was on the rear area on his 4runner on plastic. It looked as if milk had been spilled on it and dried--took us hours of scrubbing to get it off.
It very well could be that he put wax over it or God knows what else, he wasn't the sharpest crayon in the box and he was a fanatic about cleanliness/neatness so maybe he OD'd it (snicker).
I was just concerned when I saw armor all because of all the work we did to remove it or whatever combination he put on it.
Maybe just using AO is ok......

peace

·
Registered
78 Posts
armour all

Armour all should NOT be used at all on any vehicles. It contains polymers that will deteriorate plastic/vinyl/paint.

Since testing was performed and the % of degragation was deemed acceptable they do not have to mention this to consumers.

Up here in Canada this product remains on the store shelves a hella of lot longer than similar products...

Eagle 1 products are the best for tires/interiers and plastic mouldings.

I have won the yearly "Best detailed Car" for 5 years now using these products.

Maxima/MO/Honda S2000

·
Registered
758 Posts

I bought and applied the 303 Aerospace protectant on my Mo. Used on all plastic in and outside the car. I like the fact that it does not "slick" up like Armor All. I also bought the Fabric Protector and applied it to my interior. If you are going to use the Fabric protector, be sure and do so prior to using the plastic/vinyl protectant. The overspray from the fabric protector gets in a lot of places. I hope the manufacturer is right in stating that once dry, there will be no smell because when it's wet, it stinks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
just ordered some eagle one protectant, will try it. if it works as good as everyone says i will have to give armor all the boot.

·
Registered
758 Posts
303 Fabric Protector and Plastic protectant

Well the Fabric protector dried and does not stink as bad as when first applied. There is still a faint odor though. If anyone uses the Plastic/Vinyl protectant be sure you get all areas as it is very apparent when you miss a portion of an area, especially on the dash towards the windshield, at least that was my experience on the Caffe Latte interior.

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
I used Lexol Vinyl-X on my interior last week........I am not impressed. It stayed wet and very shiny. I took the remainder back.
Yes, it did smell exactly like brand new vinyl.
The rubber seals on the doors did turn out quite nicely as well...
But I bought both wipes and the spray bottle--I took the bottle back and kept the wipes for the rubber trim--it has spf60 like 303 and leaves the rubber very supple.
But for the interior plastic? I will stick with my Toyota leather and vinyl treatment, it goes on nicely and doesn't stay wet.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I got an information from BMW forum that it's better use one with water-based products, not oil-based products. I know lexol and 303 are water based product so those are safe to use.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
i use meguires product on everything in our murano. i use the cleaner wipes for allthe interior first adn then i apply the natural shine vinal prtectant wchic i also use on the plastic parts with great success. i also use the same natrual shine under the hood for the hoses and all the covers and such. i love meguires and could not possibly belive that anything else could work as well for the low price.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I used to use armor all back in the 1970-1980s. It seemed as if everyone that I knew was using the stuff on their cars back in those days.

Bob1,
Thanks for "turning us all on" to the free sample of 303. I just put in my order!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Thank Copperkat for the discovery. My sample arrived, I was hoping for a small bottle but they send some foil packets with the wipes. I did my front/rear bumper and the mudflats. A little goes a long way. This was about 6 or 7 weeks ago. They look great, so far no need to reaply and water beads up like rain on a ducks back. I think it's the best product I have tried for trim and rubber.
Bob1

1 - 20 of 23 Posts