Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else taken notice that the lower dog leg area on the vinyl moulding in front of the rear wheels on about the bottom 6" of the moulding gets all chipped from apparently the front tires kicking things up? I only have 1600 miles and driving on blacktop decent roads and they have little picks in the vinyl already. Problem is it protrudes out from the body, and gets hit with debris. I'm wondering if a heat gun would get rid of those little picks, I know it works on taking scratches out of plastic. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
8,209 Posts
I'm having a little trouble visualizing it, but if the plastic is taking hits that would otherwise impact paint, I'd suggest that it's a feature, not a bug.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, not really, it's a design impairment. The moulding does not lay flat against the body like I've seen on other SUVs with the moulding around the wheel wells. It sticks out at an angle as to why it picks up tiny stones and gets dinged.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Has anyone else taken notice that the lower dog leg area on the vinyl moulding in front of the rear wheels on about the bottom 6" of the moulding gets all chipped from apparently the front tires kicking things up? I only have 1600 miles and driving on blacktop decent roads and they have little picks in the vinyl already. Problem is it protrudes out from the body, and gets hit with debris. I'm wondering if a heat gun would get rid of those little picks, I know it works on taking scratches out of plastic. Any ideas?
If its the molding I think it is I have the same rash... A picture of the area you are referring to might help. I have no idea if its a feature or an impairment or how one would fix it without replacing the molding.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe I'm too meticulous, no one else has commented about this but I keep my vehicles impeccably clean and detailed.
20200214_093317.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's only at the bottom up 6" or so where it gets this rash. I think in the spring I will try a heat gun on that area and slightly heat it which will turn it black again and you won't see the rash when the heat gun will turn the little picks in the plastic back to the black color by slight heat on it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
It's only at the bottom up 6" or so where it gets this rash. I think in the spring I will try a heat gun on that area and slightly heat it which will turn it black again and you won't see the rash when the heat gun will turn the little picks in the plastic back to the black color by slight heat on it.
That is the molding I have the same rash on. I've no idea how or why that happens. Let us know how the heat gun works on it.

·
Super Moderator
8,209 Posts
Looks to me like it's doing what it's designed to do - protect the side of the vehicle from rock chips. I may be wrong.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts