Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anybody has inquired into getting a block heater installed.

I was told at the dealer that due to the engine positioning and everything that you would have to actually remove the engine to install a block heater.
I assume it has to do with the positioning of the coolant block plugs where they install the block heaters.

Just wondering if anyone has had any luck getting one of them installed.

If not, if you have remote starters where did you purchase them, and how much?

Thanks I appreciate the info,
Chez

·
Registered
180 Posts
We get them standard up here in the GWN (Great White North). I'm visiting the dealer today and will check to see if they know what sort of work is involved with installing/replacing one.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Where is the cord tucked? Haven't had a good look for it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
jetnbye said:
Where is the cord tucked? Haven't had a good look for it.
Haven't physically checked for it :rolleyes: :1pat: I'll check for it tonight. Or better yet, while I'm at the dealer, they can show me. I just remember specifically looking for it "on paper" when I was checking out the specs pre-ownership.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Found it. It was zip-tied to a bracket in between the grille and rad. It was ever-so-slightly viewable from the top but was easily found when I looked from the underside.

I asked at the dealership. If I understood them correctly, it is the dealer who installs the cord during the PDI. For this reason, each cord may be located in a slightly different place, depending on where the mechanic decided to secure it for access. So jetnbye, yours may not be in the same location as mine.

Chezman29, I'm back in to the dealer on Saturday for an oil change on the Frontier, so I'll ask then about the install for the block heater. My apologies -- I completely forgot to ask about it once they told me they install the cord

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I checked my MO and also found it at the bottom of the rad. It's easily accessible from the opening next to the license plate. :1pat

I'm wondering if there are any more hidden treasures we don't know about.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you know where the actually unit is. They usually put it in a freeze plug in the engine block to keep the coolant warm.
Can you see where it is plugged in at?
I wonder it is an inline one on one of the hoses since the freeze plugs are supposed tobe in the back on the engine on this one. At least that is what the salesman told us.
I live in N. Dakota and the winters are harsh, so I want to get one to make sure I extend the life of the engine. Especially during this break in period.
All they are telling me is that htey don't make them for the Murano, and no worries, you will be fine without one............duhhhhh

Chez

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'll try to crawl under and take a peek tomorrow in the day light.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate it. I am almost positive it is a hose inline one. I don't think there are any freeze plugs upfront to install one.
I will then have to check and see if the inline ones are worth the money, if that turns out to be the case after your inspection.

Tjanks again,
Chez

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hey Chez,

I took a look under the front bumper and can't see very much. There is the black plastic cover that obstructs the view. Looking into the engine compartment was no help either.

Sorry.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Chez,

Go to CDN Nissan web site. Shows replacement block heater in the accessories area. This should answer your question.

Nissan Canada

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks anyway. I assume its an inline coolant heater that actually heats the coolant via the hose to the radiator, instead of a freeze plug one, that heats the coolant in the block.
I will check into getting one for myself, its better than not having anything and probably works well.

Chez

1 - 12 of 12 Posts