Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cleaning my rims today and noticed a blue dot in the same place on all my rims. There is a point in the centre of the dot. Does this have anything to do with the tire pressure monitor?

·
Registered
834 Posts
I have the blue dots too, and have tire pressure monitor.:4:

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
This was a hot topic about the Z! First theory was the blue dot was where the TPMS registration/calibration tool was placed and all rims would have it because it was cheaper to do it that way.

TPMS sensor is actualy part of the valve stems. Not a box banded to the rims like many aftermarket models. TPMS registration device is placed at valve stem.

Second theory, this is the heavy spot of the rim for mounting and balancing, try to put heavy spot on tire just opposite when balancing. Reduce amount of weight used.

Haven't heard anything else yet. They're kinda like the tags on matresses. If you remove them ... nothing happens! :D

·
Registered
834 Posts
I thought you were not to remove the blue dots under penalty of the law.

·
Registered
400 Posts
From what I've been told, Enforcer is right

I have a few friends that used to work at Ford. They tell me the blue dot (green dot on some fords) are the heavy point on the rim. The tires have a paint or decal on them also to indicate the heavy part of the tire. The person installing the tire should line-up the dot with marked spot on the tire. If no dot exists on the rim, the dot on the tire should be lined-up with the valve stem.

I walked around the Ford dealership's lot (when I bought my (now sold) '03 Mustang Cobra) and sure enough, all of the green stickers on the tires were lined-up with the valve stems.

Bob K.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Something interesting -- my wheels all had blue dot, no tpm. After my day was ruined by a drunk using the MO for a stopping device, one wheel had to be replaced. New wheel from Nissan did not have blue dot.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I know what it's for!

stevce has a blue MO, and the blue dot tells them what colour to paint the car.

Every one else's car was "supposed" to be blue, but there was demand for other colours, so they over-rode the blue.

Maybe not. Maybe the valve and balancing part makes more sense.

I can ask my mechanic who always seems to know about all of these things.

Drunk driver, eh? ... I once lost my truck and 2 years of work (well, two years of paid sick leave is not the worst thing that has ever happened to me), but ... zero tolerance is fine with me!

·
4,664 Posts
I understand it's for balancing as well, but lining up the heavy side of the tire with the heavy side of the rim makes no sense. If anything, I could see lining them up, if the blue dot was the light side of the tire lined up with the heavy side of the rim. This would reduce or maybe eliminate the need for weights (in some cases) when balancing the wheel.

The other thought was it was a warning label to Smurfs. Either that, or they're using Smurf labour and it's a thumb print.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I have blue dots on the rims and red dots on the tires and they line up.

I kinda figured it was the light spot of the tire and the heavy spot of the rim - or the other way a(round) :)

My understanding was you were 'sposed to put the heavy spots 180* of each other.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Here's my theory... There's a lot of markings on cars. I always thought these markings were to help the dealers identify if parts have been tampered with, adjusted or modified... (so it's easier for them to say you voided the warranty...) From what I remember, there was a blue dot on the wheel that lined up to a marking on the tire. Also, if you peek under the rear suspension, there are markings near bolts and washers. I could be really wrong but that's my theory with the markings in cars

·
Registered
30 Posts
The blue dots are just practical jokes. Somewhere in Japan there's a group of factory workers laughing their asses off because we're so perplexed by them. Personally, I like them and plan to keep them. Stop bashing the poor little dots!!!:4:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts