Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have been reading this forum for a while, but this is my first post. I purchased a 2004 SE this past weekend. Loving it so far. I'm NAV, Bose, no SAT.

One of the things I really wish the MO had was a handsfree bluetooth feature. The lack of this had me looking at the Pacifica, and some Lexus and BMW models.

I've found an aftermarket kit, the Sony Ericsson HCB-30, that looks like it might fit the bill, but I have a question for the under-dash gurus out there.

Here's the kit, install guides are available on the site:
http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=us&lc=en&ver=4000&template=ps1_1_2&zone=ps&lm=ps1_1&pid=9943

There's also an "Advanced Music Mute" available, it's mentioned in the install guide:
http://www.expansys-usa.com/product.asp?code=AMM

So my question is: Will this work? Does the head unit in the MO have the necessary connections to support this? I would really like to hear the calls through the vehicle's stereo, rather than installing a separate speaker. Also, the auto-muting would be great, since I can't hear my phone when it's in my bag anyway.

Second question: If it won't work, could I use the PAC audio adapter and somehow wire it up to come through as SAT?

Final question: If neither of those will work, is there any room under the high center flat part of the dash so that I could mount an extra speaker flush with the dash?

Thanks in advance for the assistance!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've been a lurker for some time, this is my first post. Have had my MO since April. 5k miles and it's been PERFECT! Love my MO!

Has anyone had a Bluetooth kit installed that actually will use the OEM Bose stereo unit (including auto muting stereo when a call comes in)?

I so which is the best kit? I'm considering a Motorola V600 phone, do I have to use a Motorola kit?

Would it be possible to use the steering wheel controls to auto answer and to activate voice dial?

'04 SL FWD, touring, VDC & Sirrius, Super Black
Thousand Oaks, CA

·
4,664 Posts
The radio is designed to have the mute function, but the parts aren't installed, so it doesn't work.:mad:

You don't have to use a Motorola BT kit with your V600. My personal preference is Ericsson, as they implement BT the best, but any BT kit should work with it.

By the way, nice choice in phones! I love my V600....:D

Steering wheel controls? Possible but not easy...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK. I've got the Sony Ericsson HCB-30 kit now. The speaker that comes with it is really small, so it should be hide-able, so I'm not too hung up on getting it to play through the car audio system. (Though I still think it could be done with the PAC audio adapter, and some in-line pads to get the level down)

I've found a local shop that claims they can do the install. I'm thinking of having them do it, because I want to get the remote keypad thingy in the cell phone holder in the center console. Taking apart that console looks like a beast. Unless anyone has a better location for that control pad?

They even say they can make it mute the radio when a call comes in. I think they intend use a relay on the mute wire and kill the power to the entertainment system somehow. Is that even possible? Will doing something like that blow up the NAV and AC, since it's all integrated? I'm a little nervous about that part of the install.

Thx.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Utah let us know how the install goes. Thanks. :)

·
Registered
746 Posts
Utah, my Motorola's control pad is installed under the dash (driver side of course) and is completely hidden from sight. The pad sits very nicely screwed tightly in the dash to avoid any rattle. This is one of the best spot considering that all the wires have to connect to it, mic, speaker, etc...

The only thing remaining to install in mine is the actual phone cradle that connects to the control pad as well as the antenna. I think I will go with a conceiled antenna that mount inside. I am waiting for the cradle to decide how to finish this one up.

Gee, I'm spending so much time on the MO and new projects are coming up everyday! I am seriously lookin at the PAC and iPod mount bracket as a future project. The mini-iPods are coming out in 2 weeks... Check'em out, they're perfect for the MO! :)

·
4,664 Posts
You can mute the audio by breaking the path to the Power Amp, if you have the Bose. If it's done correctly, it won't hurt your radio.

I've been thinking of doing mine. Even had someone send me a circuit board for one that he did for his G35, but it's sitting here on the desk. The good thing is, I think I can take the jumper part of the Pac audio unit and cut that in half for this interface. That is, if the audio goes through that one. I have to look it up.

I'm waiting for the cradle for my V600, before I dig in...

·
Registered
255 Posts
jaak said:
I'm waiting for the cradle for my V600, before I dig in...
Jaak, you aren't by chance going to use the THB car kit are you? The cradle comment is what is giving me this impression since their kit can use different cradles. If you are, please post info on this when you get it done as THB make the car kit for my Treo 600 and I would love to incorporate this into my Murano in the future.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jaak - I do have the Bose. So if I understand you correctly, it's OK to break the power to the AMP, but not OK to kill the power to the head unit. With everything being on one circuit board, this makes sense.

With the amp under the back seat, will we have to run all the way back there to do it? Or is there somewhere under the dash where that can be accomplished?

Going for the install tomorrow, so I hope to have some pictures to post afterwards.

·
4,664 Posts
Naw, just the Motorola one, with my existing Motorola car kit.

One way I saw the car kit integrated into the audio, was to switch the audio in and out. I don't know if killing the power is a good idea as the amp would probably "thunk" on power down. The audio from the car kit, then was connected to the rear speakers. That would make your passengers jump, if it was loud!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Install Complete - Photos

Well, the install is complete. I had it done at Car Concepts in Salt Lake City. They got the whole thing done in about 3 hours, start to finish. They were good enough to let me hang around to take pictures.

As far as muting the audio, we went to Jaak's site, and decided to interrupt the amp turn-on signal. It's green and white (I'm Bose, Nav), and you can see it, cut and ready to be spliced, in this photo. They installed a relay or two to get the signal from the car kit and interrup the amp. There's no noticeable thump from the amp, though I can hear a slight click from the relay.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We decided not to try to get the phone to play through the car audio system. The speaker was small, and it went in the passenger footwell, here. There was a small ledge that we attatched the speaker to. It was easy to fish the wire from this location to behind the radio.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The microphone was probably the ugliest part of the install. We put it up by the sunroof controls. The wire runs under the headliner, down the passenger side pillar, and under the dash to the radio location.

It doesn't look too bad, just kind of funky.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They did a nice job with the control panel. They got it into the cell phone holder, and flushed it in so that it looks pretty factory.

We did this without disassembling the center console. We fished the wires in a "3 point" way. From the radio to the NAV/DVD hole in one shot. From there, we could fish it into the cell phone holder hole without too much trouble. We did have to cut out a hole on the bottom of the cell phone holder to fish the RJ connector through. And we did cut off the bottom of the cell phone holder insert. But with everything installed, you can't tell.

Attachments

·
4,664 Posts
Good to know the amp doesn't thunk! I'll keep that in mind when I decide exactly how I'm going to do mine. At this stage, I'm thinking of putting the audio through the amp, but not completely muting the audio. We'll see....

Sounds like they did a good job for you, and the mike placement's not bad... Just make sure you don't aim the AC vents at it, as sometimes that can create a lot of noise when it's cranked up.

You'll have to let us know how you like it. Leave yourself some voice messages, try it with the AC turned up, and down, and do one on the highway, then you'll have a good idea of how it sounds to your callers.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Last picture. Here you can see the car kit control unit, on the bottom, along with the taped-up bundle of wires it required. The whole thing was crammed (!) behind the radio assembly, along with the relay bundle for the audio mute.

I don't know how they got it all back there, but I haven't heard any rattles yet.

Hope these help. So far, my experience has been pretty good (other than that I have to recharge my phone more often).

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts