Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the difference between the 05 FX and it bluetooth functionality compared to the 03 with Nav Murano? Anyone know if porting this to the Murano sounds feasible? I would love to have integrate BT in the MO and since the FX and Murano used to share so many parts I am hoping that it is a device that talks on the NBUS.

·
4,601 Posts
I'd like to do this too!

I wonder if it's in the FX service manual yet.

I suspect there's a BT module, and a radio change involved, at the least. The display should support it already, even the non Nav, but I don't know that the loaded firmware will. The non-nav display already has icons for phone indications.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jaak, have you figured out a way to send something to the radio display from a non-selected source via the NBUS, or can you only do it from the currently selected source? I have some ideas for how a bluetooth kit could function for the older Muranos, but it would require the ability to send data (phone number) from a non-selected source to the display, and then hitting a hard "answer" button that would tell the radio to select a source (bluetooth over using the extra connections on the radio).

·
4,601 Posts
You can send display commands over the CAN bus. For example, when you leave a door open and go for a drive, text is sent to tell you it's open.

Can it be done? Most definately. Will I do it? Highly unlikely, as I'm so insanely busy, I don't have time to.

It's actually a little frustrating for me, as I even have the ability to capture Can bus data with my logic analyser, but I don't have time to spend to actually do it! Sniff.. Sniff....

I'm half tempted to cough up another $20 and get the latest FX service manual. (If the updated one is posted.)

It would be interesting to see how they've implemented it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jaak. Not sure now if the 05 FX has BT. I saw it on a phone forum but I can not confirm it and I have actually seen follow up posts stating that it does not and the 06 M will be the first US Infiniti/Nissan product with integrated BT.

·
4,601 Posts
Ahh... Wish I had the time.... That would be such a cool project.

I've been Bluetoothing like crazy lately. My iPaq navigation system talks to the GPS with Bluetooth and the iPaq's also been talking to my V600 lately to retrieve email. It's just so cool, I touch one button and the iPaq connects to the V600 by bluetooth, which then connects to the internet with GPRS, then the iPaq does a VPN connection to my employers network, the mail client then logs in, sends my mail and retrieves new messages and then it all disconnects.

One button. Just awesome.

The only downside, is I don't think the V600 would support a Bluetooth audio connection through all that. The Ericsson phones seem to do better there. (After all, they invented Bluetooth.)

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
JAAK Any coment about the TREO 650 ? GRIP :D

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a Treo 650 on Order ( I have been using the 600 since October 03). I have loved the 600 and use it a phone, PDA and MP3 Player. I went to the Treo Roadshow on November 18 in Washington DC (I am getting the 650 for $349 since I attended the show), and it is a beautiful piece of harware. I doubt you will find a better smartphone design when it comes to form factor and function. The 600 is excellent design too, but does have some problems like low res screen, no bluetooth, etc.

Unfortuenately I also frequent treocentral.com. Their is apparently some huge issues with the 650's ability to use its 32 MB of memory (same as the 600, but it does not handle the data the same so it holds less). Also the bluetooth on the 650 appears to be having problems with integrated car hands free kits and static on headsets. Treocentral.com is a good resource to find out what people who are currently using the device.

I will post something about it when I get mine in and put some mileage on it. I would like to find a good bluetooth car kit for the Murano.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Thanks my youngest Son just got his a few days ago. He has Sprint service and was showing it to me last night. I was very impressed with the screen resolution. He is an MD and even had some fetus ultrasounds on it. Could not believe the clarity. GRIP :D

·
4,601 Posts
GripperDon said:
JAAK Any coment about the TREO 650 ? GRIP :D
So far, every integrated solution I've looked at, has something "wrong" with it in some way.

While the Palm OS is a good stable OS, it's too closed for my liking. (Which is one of the reasons it's stable.)

Windows Mobile is my preference, but CPU power is stolen for phone operation, slowing the WM OS phones performance, against a stand alone PPC. But the PPC has the most support for other applications. The same reason MS Windows family has done so well over the years. Not because it's the best OS, but it has the best application support.

On weekends I don't want a PDA as a phone. So the V600 with it's sometimes sluggish Motorola OS and my iPAQ make life very good.

My iPAQ has both CF and SD slots. Currently it's got 64 + 512 meg of ram and if I put in my Sandisk WiFi card, with 128 Meg, it takes it up to 704 Meg of storage. 1 Gig cards are appearing, so I can take it up to over 2 Gig if I want, with an SD and CF both in there.

Email storage and my navigation system are on the same device, with lots of MP3's which sound great through the audio jack.

The phones are capable enough for me and I can take my iPaq for email, if I want, but I don't have to. My V600 phone, also checks my personal email account as well, so even without the iPaq I have email access.

RIM's products are getting closer to my idea device. The latest phone's a positive step forward, but still not there for me.

So to answer your question Don, so far, none of them are what I'd buy. Although, I am weakening on the new HP unit, but I've not heard good reliability reports on them so far. I suspect half of it is user problems, as Win Mobile is a bit awkward in some areas.

If all you want is fast real time email, with a good phone, nothing beats the Blackberry's...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts