Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought the body side molding,
it says wash the car,
then clean using wax and grease cleaner
clean surface with alcohol 50%
then apply masking tape
and install the body side molding by peeling the 3m tape behind it slowly.

Question:
- wax and grease claner, what is that?
Regular engine degreaser?

- alcohol - h20 50%, where do i got alcohol in that concentration?
Should i dilute it myself?
I dont think the pharmacy store sell that exact % right?.

-any tips i should follow?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Dawn dishwashing liquid is a good degreaser.

It will take off ALL waxes.
Note - it will not take off Zaino.

I don't think the alcohol/water mix is terribly important.

I would just get a bottle of alcohol which is already cut heavily with water.

Hope this helps.

Homer

·
Registered
202 Posts
SugarRushMurano said:
Just bought the body side molding,
it says wash the car,
then clean using wax and grease cleaner
clean surface with alcohol 50%
then apply masking tape
and install the body side molding by peeling the 3m tape behind it slowly.
I washed my car and swabbed the area with an alcohol pad before putting on the mouldings, but I didn't notice the percent alcohol content of the pad or use wax and grease cleaner. I also didn't find the masking tape very helpful in placing the mouldings. Instead, I just used a level as I applied the mouldings to the door, and that seemed sufficient to get them on straight. The mouldings have been rock solid on my Murano ever since, and that's been several months, and the car's gone through several automatic high-pressure touchless car washes since.

Jeff

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gyus thanks for the help..

we'll see how the install goes. ;)

·
Registered
758 Posts
SugarRush

Where did you purchase the side molding from and did you get a good price? I still have the side moldings on my list of things to get.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Finally installed the side molding on my silver MO SE yesterday. It took nearly 40 minutes. The actual time that it took to adhere the moldings onto the car was probably less than 15, but I kept second guessing myself on the measurements and whether or not the "guide taping" was straight. I probably performed the measurements (7.5") and readusted the "straightness" of the guide tape about 4 times on each side, LOL!!!! a few items to share:

Use "painter's tape" instead of masking tape. A small roll is only a couple of bucks; it doesn't have as much gummy adhesive and you can tear it very easily with your fingers. Overall, it's easier to work with, especially if you're doing the project yourself.

The little alcohol swabs that came with the moldings seem to work fine for cleaning. Yes, I washed the car first.

Be careful when installing the longer molding because it flexes slightly so if you're not careful you could end up with a very slight curve to what should be a straight line. It seems like it might be easier if you have second person helping you - they can hold up the far end of the uninstalled portion of the molding while you work with your to hands on adhering the opposite end. or you could tape that other end up against the MO.

Once installed, I noticed that there is a tiny bit of clearance/spacing between the molding and the MO's body, when viewed from a standing position and looking down at the molding. This is due to the layer of adhesive between the molding and the MO. I didn't expect this, but it's not that big of a deal. I tried pressing on it, but it did not seem to reduce the spacing.

I'm not crazy about it how it looks, but I feel it's a neccesity if you're going to be parking your MO in parking garages where you might get dinged. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't look bad. It looks pretty good, but a molding-less MO might be considered to be slighty more attractive in my eyes. The bottom line is that you have a trade-off between a MO with clean lines and runs the risk of getting dinged -vs- a MO with the lightly less attractive moldings which is somewhat better protected. IMHO, the lesser cost and headache of touching up the dings on the moldings (or replacing them) is preferable to the cost of having professional body work done for a bunch of body dings.

I'll post pics soon.

:1:

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got my molding from : www.trim-gard.com

link here:
trimgard murano pic
Price is $72 shipped.
Dawn's (or sport wing) a.k.a Grubbs molding is a bit too expensive for me.

HWN murano wrote:
It seems like it might be easier if you have second person helping you - they can hold up the far end of the uninstalled portion of the molding while you work with your to hands on adhering the opposite end. or you could tape that other end up against the MO.
Indeed that's what i did. My GF helped me.
Women have better estetic eyes, and she can immediately spot it when the mlding is not straight . I need a leveler to do the same :D

I will also post pic soon.

·
Registered
170 Posts
SugarRushMurano

I noticed that the Trimguard moldings are not color-matched, at least in the photo at website link that you posted. Is that the case with the ones that you bought as well? They appear to be black. just curious, thanks. This might explain the price diff.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HWN murano... my body side molding is not in the same color as my mo..

i got the crhome ones:

pic here:
To my galllery

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hwmn murano..

I was innitially comtemplating whether to go with black bumper side molding or chrome ones.

After doing little bit of photoshop, and also looking at various suvs (like cadillac, porsche cheyenne, touareg), i came to the same conclusion: chrome will look nice on dark color, especially black.

So i hold my breath and go with it. So far, I am satisfied.
But dont think this chrome looks too good if you put it on light oclor murano. :)

·
Registered
834 Posts
HwnMurano
Very nice. How about measurements say from the door crease to the bottom of the molding to help others (maybe me) to line up.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I understand that these are the Dawn Enterprises moldings. I bought them from nissanparts4less.com after shopping around. They were $131 delivered to your door ($106 after a small discount and $26 shipping). Regular discounted list price is about $112. Paid via Paypal, and it got here in 3 days. Don't ask me about the discount; I hear that sometimes they give higher discounts and other times they give no discounts. It depends on when you place your order.

Like a dummy, I followed the instructions for the install, but there are probably better ways of doing it. I used a 7.5" measurement from the top of the horizontal ornamental door crease (which runs along the lower section of the doors) to the bottom of where the molding will be, as recommended by the instructions. The problem with this method is that it's hard to get an exact measurement due to the door crease having rounded features. You would indeed be better off measuring from the bottom edge of the door where you have a defined edge, ofcourse compensating the measurement so that you still end up installing the molding at the same place.

I measured out three positions: at rear, at the point where the rear door meets the front door, and a front position. After that, just run the painters tape horizontally, make sure it's on straight and level, then install the moldings. Like I said, there are better ways, but I'm not a rocket scientist and this worked for me.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hey Looking great!

Good Job. :)

Was it breeze to install it on your MO?
Did you like it? Where do you think its good place to buy?

I heard some people got for 75 bucks at Dawn's or something,
wondering why some others got rejected, do you think you need to give out your wholesale license number or something, I know you have to be the wholesaler to qualify for 75 bucks.

Nizmo

·
Registered
170 Posts
nizmo

I wouldn't call it a breeze, as it took some effort as far as the measuring and careful application. It wasn't very difficult either, though.

I'm happy with the deal that I got from Curtis Sheehan at nissanparts4less.com. maybe you can get it cheaper elsewhere. it doesn't for you to try!

·
Registered
285 Posts
RE: Body side molding tips

Thanks for the reply HwnMurano.

So you are rollin in the island as I do.
I'll shop around for a good deal including your recommendation.
Again good job that you did, it look SOLID on your picture.

Yah, too many dings here and there in the parking area in Hawaii, so far I have none. But, I wouldt count on it.

Catcha Later Brah.

Mahalo,

Nizmo

1 - 19 of 19 Posts