Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Bose and I'm not too satisfied with the bass. I'm looking into the Infinity Basslink to help give me some oomph because it comes in a small package and I hear that the sound quality is pretty good. I don't really know too much about car audio so does anyone know how easy it will be to install this with the Bose headunit?

Here's a link to where I might get it online:
http://www.thezeb.com/caraudio/infinitysubs.html

·
Registered
82 Posts
tefunk said:
I have the Bose and I'm not too satisfied with the bass. I'm looking into the Infinity Basslink to help give me some oomph because it comes in a small package and I hear that the sound quality is pretty good. I don't really know too much about car audio so does anyone know how easy it will be to install this with the Bose headunit?

Here's a link to where I might get it online:
http://www.thezeb.com/caraudio/infinitysubs.html
i could be wrong, but, it is my understanding that you can't cross match with bose systems. the wiring is unique with bose systems. i never really liked bose anyway. i tried the bose system in the murano on my test drive and it was weak with the bass. especially if you're listening to hip hop. sounds good at mid levels but soon as you turn it up louder, the bass bottoms out or disappears.

i don't plan on getting the bose system when i get mine. infact i will insist that they don't. i want to customize my sounds.

those infinities look good. have you listened to these infinities yet?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't really want the Bose either 'cuz my I've heard the Bose in the G35 sedan and coupes and it really sucks. I haven't compared the Bose and base systems in the Murano because I was only looking at Murano's with leather and if you want leather they force you to get the Bose upgrade as well. Since I don't really know anything about the wiring I emailed a shop and they said they would install it for me for 90 bucks plus an amp wiring kit. I didn't tell them I had the Bose so I will have to ask them again.

I'm having second thoughts on getting the Basslink though 'cuz when I look at my trunk there really is no good place to put it. I want to put it on the side but there's that huge bump there that gets in the way and there doesn't appear to be much room above the bump.

·
4,664 Posts
I put an amp and bass bin on my Maxima in 2000 and it was relatively painless. (On a Bose system.)

I agree the Bose rolls off down low. If you don't know the difference, you think it sounds great, but when you are used to certain low notes appearing on other systems and then you don't hear it on the Bose, you feel a bit cheated!

I'd say drive it for a while and see if you still care after a couple of months. If so, spend the cash, if not, you just saved a bunch.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It will be interesting to learn what people do. I always believe the source is the most important component of a sound system, because you can have the best speakers, but if you're feeding them with low quality signal, you haven't achieved anything. Changing the head unit in this vehicle, however, may not really be worth it. You'd lose the display on the LCD screen. Of course the head unit would have it's own display so mabye that wouldn't matter either. Something to think about... :?:

Also, this topic really should be moved under the Audio & Electronics heading.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone else also noticed VERY WEAK radio reception??

Hi y'all,

To add to the gripes about this Bose system (upgraded nonetheless w/leather package)...its radio reception is extremely weak!

I drive 100 miles to work each day and ALL my 3 other cars over the past 12 years had solid reception from start to end point...

I am concerned because the Murano's radio cr..ps out half way to my job!!! This is unbelievable... :cry:

Any recommendations?

Other than this and the burming rubber smell (see Murano smell topics throughout) after pushing it a little, the Murano is awesome...

Thx,
N

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bose radio reception

I second Nikos assertion about the radio reception on the Murano's Bose system. I drive about 25 miles one way to work and my Rodeo's stereo would always lock onto stations even though we live with lots of hills around us. At least half of the same stations are fading in and out on my drive to work now with the Murano. I have not played with the positioning of the antenna, mine is lying almost flat on top of the sunroof but I would not think this would matter much. I think it is more of an issue with the radio's tuner.
Does anybody know if there is a sensitivity setting?
Thank god for the 6-disc CD changer!

Mario

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey mcastlejr, you had a Rodeo before the Murano? Me too. I will be giving up the Rodeo in May when the lease expires and picking up a Murano SL. So how would you compare the two vehicles?

Sorry to stray from the topic.... :oops:

·
Registered
9 Posts
87gta, I am giving up the Rodeo as well but in April when my lease expires. As to the two cars, so far it is like night and day. The Rodeo feels more like a truck and is not as "refined" as the Murano. You can easily tell that the Murano has more power (HP difference is 40-45 I think). The Murano has better options (at least than my Rodeo LS) and quality but I guess that is why you pay 7K more for it.

When my wife and I first went to the Nissan dealer we went to test drive the Pathfinder and I was not that impressed by it. I did not think that it was worth 7K more than the Rodeo. As we were walking out we saw the display Murano and decided to try it. I can tell you that as soon as I was in it I knew I had to have it :!: It really felt like an upgrade to the Rodeo. So we got it.

Hope this helped,
Mario

·
Nissan Enthusiast
197 Posts
Nissan has published a Technical Service Bulletin relative to the weak radio reception on some models. The problem seems to stem from a lack of good ground at the base of the antenna. Their procedure calls for tightening of the mounting bolts beneath the antenna and abouve the dome lights so that the antenna's base is properly grounded. Does it work? I dont know. But if they went thru the trouble of producing this document and distributing it then it must have some truth to it.

As far as the sub-woofer goes I ripped out my Bose sub and used Hi-LO converter to convert the speaker level sub woofer outputs into RCA's. Fed that into my 275 watt amp and bridged it mono. With a 15' tube in the back I can assure you that I miss no LOWWWW end .It was just a matter of balancing my amps output to match the existing speakers so it was not overbearing. I keep the bass levels very low on my head unit so I dont send to much bass to the door speakers, which cannot really handle anything, and then I tweak the output of my other amp to fill in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have to admit I was not interested in the Bose stereo, but I had to get it with the leather package. I have to say I am extremely impressed. I hear sounds on CDs that I never heard before. As for everyone's comments about the bass not being powerful enough, I think Bose focuses on the quality of the sound, as opposed to making an earth-shaking tremor causing stereo. I am very satisfied with the Bose stereo. :p

·
4,664 Posts
I've always found Bose's idea was to produce decent sound with OK speakers, never found them to be high end, just better than average.

I'm relatively pleased with the Murano's Bose, and find it's OK, not stellar. The question is, how much would it cost to make it sound stellar and do I want to cough up the dough. Nope....

It's OK, and I can live with that. I could see, potentially, tweeter and sub replacement, but they've got to be good enough quality to warrant the change.

As far as the head unit, in spite of it's negatives, replacing it just isn't worth it... Too much integration into the MO that you'd never be able to duplicate with aftermarket, unless, again, you want to cough up some major dough.

I've got other things more interesting to spend money on!:D

·
Registered
255 Posts
Listening to a CD, the Bose sounds great and I think that bass is very good for a stock system. Unless you want an obnoxious, rattly, bass machine the Bose should suit your needs.

If you just listened to the radio on the test drive then that is a different issue. The radio reception is poor compared to other vehicles and has a lot more noise in the sound then with the CD. I think this just make the whole system sound bad. I am considering SAT radio because of this distortion. The antenna I fear is the main culprit, but I do plan to use one of the TSBs posted on the board to make sure that it is grounded properly by tightening the bolt. My VW did not have the best reception either and it was a short FUBA.

You will probably have issues with upgrading the head unit in the Murano no matter which one you choose so you may want to go with the Bose system just in case you get stuck at stock and upgrade the speakers and sub.

·
Registered
19 Posts
interface

you can purchase an interface to connect aftermarket speakers or amps to the bose system. there is a lot you can do with the system. and if you want to shape the sound, look into some audio control multi band eq's. great sound can come from stock radios. You just gotta know what your doing. the interfaces can be found here and they connect to the stock radio and give you an rca output for additional amps.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I found one trick that improves the bass response of the bose system. I am sure it has been mentioned before, but here it is again.

The front door speakers are heavy in the mid-bass, but totaly lacking in low bass. The sub in the rear has half way decent low bass, but can't be heard because of all the stuff between it and your ears. Solution?

1) Remove the tray and fibre board barier from on top of the spare tire.

2) Adjust the fader (front to rear balance) one click to the rear. (Lower the volume of the front speakers, increase the volume of the rear.

This isn't a perfect solution, but it does improve the sound.

D.G.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts