Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to find a good amp (s) to install into the MO.

One of the factors seems to be the output voltage of the head unit to decide if I need a variable voltage input on the amp.

I know I read what it was here somewhere but damn if I can find it now.

·
Registered
629 Posts
You'll want a PAC (or comparable unit) to convert the signal to a standard low-level input for the amp, or an amp with high-level inputs like the one GripperDon used for his sub.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
The output voltage of the HU is 2.83V. But it's balanced (differential), so you will probably need a converter to change it to unbalanced (non-differential).

·
4,601 Posts
And it looks like this in frequency response, when an NAB test CD is put on white noise in the CD changer. Not bad...

Tyler, what volume setting is that voltage measured at?

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jaak,
You have all the fun toys :)

Could you explain what it is Im looking at and what it means to me. I know it has meaning to my quest but im not to sure how to use this info.

I will do some research on the balanced V/ unbalanced issue.

Again, your help in this is appreciated.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
jaak said:
And it looks like this in frequency response, when an NAB test CD is put on white noise in the CD changer. Not bad...

Tyler, what volume setting is that voltage measured at?
I'm not sure, I just remember reading in the SM that the expected voltage on the outputs is 2.83V.

·
4,601 Posts
FastEddy said:
Jaak,
You have all the fun toys :)

Could you explain what it is Im looking at and what it means to me. I know it has meaning to my quest but im not to sure how to use this info.

I will do some research on the balanced V/ unbalanced issue.

Again, your help in this is appreciated.
I like fun electronic toys so much, I work for the company that makes them! (Nothing better than playing with your employers equipment, which I'm sure Grip knows!!!)

Here's what this is...

NAB, the National Association of Broadcasters, put out a CD that has precision, digitally generated signals on it. I've had the disc for years and it was expensive when one of my employers purchased it for me. Which was nice of them. (Part of long days away from home in a foreign country!)

Often people will sweep a system to see it's response. However, with todays technology, you can also generate "white noise" which is generally flat in it's response. There's a track on the 99 tracks of the CD that is white noise. So putting this into the CD player allows you to test the path from CD through to the outputs to the PA, which is where this is connected.

I captured this signal with a high bandwidth oscilloscope, over time and did an FFT (Fast Fourier Transform) on the data, producing this frequency response curve. You can see it's level right up to a bit past 20 kHz, after which it's likely the CD players intentional rolloff that brings the curve down.

It was a quick check, not a detailed analysis, but it does demonstrate that the head unit is worth using as a starting point, and that the system deficiencies are elsewhere.

I was curious how bad the radio was, after a number of people complained about it and also complained about how hard it was to replace without losing function in the Murano.

Ah, Tyler, you must be talking about the graphic in the manual... I don't see a reference to volume level either.

I'd be tempted to set the system to be as loud as you'd ever want, in the low twenties on the volume. Higher than that and distortion products start to appear in the Bose, that will initially be noticable and eventually be damaging if the wrong combination of amps, speakers and settings are combined.

So, I'd be tempted to tell people you talk to, that it puts out line level signals, but again, they're balanced (two wires, opposite polarity, not connected to ground) as opposed to unbalanced, which is what most amps are looking for.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts