Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a brand new Murano that came with the Bose radio and XM Radio installed; but I was wondering is it possible to install an additional AUX item, like a MP3 player, etc. I've done some reading in the forums and I couldn't find a clear answer to this question or if it's even possible. If someone can point me in the right direction, that would be great. Thanks!

-z

·
Registered
255 Posts
You may want to consider getting an AUX adapter (they have two Aux In ports) and getting a Seperate XM tuner (like a Roady2 or SkyFi2). You could always sell the Nissan XM tuner. I am considering going to an external setup like this as the Nissan Tuner isn't very good.

·
4,664 Posts
There's a way to use the Sat receiver (the OEM one, not aftermarket) and with a unbalanced to balanced converter and a simple switch, control the audio inputs to feed through...

Bit of a nuisance to connect, but works better than anything else in existance.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks jaak, the unbalanced to balanced converter sounds promising, can you recommend a converter?

·
4,664 Posts
Well, this is the problem... Finding one that's easy to connect!

There's an extra connector on the Sat receiver, that has audio inputs that are switched by relays inside.

I'll have to put together the details on how to do this, as I've been wanting to do this for a while...

Let me go do my homework and I'll get back in a day or so. I know how to do it, but I need to document how, so others can...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Extra input on sat Box

jaak said:
Well, this is the problem... Finding one that's easy to connect!

There's an extra connector on the Sat receiver, that has audio inputs that are switched by relays inside.

I'll have to put together the details on how to do this, as I've been wanting to do this for a while...

Let me go do my homework and I'll get back in a day or so. I know how to do it, but I need to document how, so others can...
I realy would like to know if you can figure this out.I own a audio store in Thornwood NY and have customers that want this. I have a murano with all the toys. Does your Sirius box ever lock up.Mine has 4x I unplug the plug and it comes back to life.When it locks up the radio display no signal or aquireing

Thank you for any replys
:confused:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Re: Extra input on sat Box

larry1960 said:

I realy would like to know if you can figure this out.I own a audio store in Thornwood NY and have customers that want this. I have a murano with all the toys. Does your Sirius box ever lock up.Mine has 4x I unplug the plug and it comes back to life.When it locks up the radio display no signal or aquireing

Thank you for any replys
:confused:
Sounds like a ground integrity problem.

Check to be sure that there is a ground wire from the Sat tuner to the chassis. If present, make sure the connections are tight at both the tuner and chassis; both electrically and mechanically.

If the head unit and the tuner are at 2 different ground potentials, it opens the door for "ground loops".

·
4,664 Posts
I'd ask Nissan for a replacement if it's locking up.

As far as the fundamentals of what's required, you can go to my website to see more detail on the connector pinouts, but here's the basics:

Audio input goes through an aftermarket unbalanced audio to balanced audio converter. This gives two wires output for Right and two wires output for Left channels. (Balanced outputs are opposing signals, there is no ground reference.)

Looking at the connector labelled "Sat N-Bus Out Connector (Second Device) from back of connector" we have the balanced audio inputs:

Pin 13 - Right Audio Output -ve
Pin 14 - Right Audio Output +ve
Pin 15 - Left Audio Output -ve
Pin 16 - Left Audio Output +ve

Attachments

·
4,664 Posts
Then the audio is switched in the Sat receiver by applying a voltage, say 12 volts through a 10K resistor with a switch, on pin M. ( I have to double check my notes on this, as I'm going from memory...)

So the SAT receiver continues to operate, but the audio is switched.

Great project for someone who wants to program a microcontroller, would be to do this automatically by monitoring the data from the radio. For example, it could be configured to switch automatically for a certain channel, e.g. the Preview channel could be set to switch to external audio. But that's way beyond a simple set up.

With the info above, it would be possible to just have a switch toggle audio inputs using the sat receiver's built in audio relays.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, I'm hooked. Can anyone recommend a good aftermarket unbalanced audio to balanced audio converter?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So how would you recommend wiring the speaker lines to a switch to flip between the SAT and the external unit (which looks like it will be an Xbox)?

·
4,664 Posts
There are relays in the SAT receiver that switch the audio.

I haven't worked out the details, but I was looking at a generic AUX in box by Pac as well as some competing products, last night. No one seems to specify if they are unbalanced to balanced converters, yet I suspect some may be. If that can be confirmed, then one of those could be connected on the unused SAT connector as a second input, and then a switch to power the relays is connected on the unused pin in the sat harness side connector.

·
Registered
80 Posts
While we are brainstorming here......

Has anyone checked into Ming receivers to receive a signal from the transmitter(s) in the rear-view mirror?

Those unused buttons could provide a means of switching that is being overlooked.

Afterall, how many of us live in a gated community, have an automatic garage door opener and a home security system; all at the same time?

·
4,664 Posts
Ooooo... Nice link of ideas!!!! That's slick!

·
4,664 Posts
By the way, there is one way of doing this by hacking into the harness...

http://www.tvrules.net/misc/satpb/satpb.htm

I've ordered PAC's AUX in to see if I can tweak it for an audio input on the second sat connector.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts