Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was waxing the MO this weekend & noticed that my rear hatch is rubbing on the bottom edge against the bumper protector. :3:

Has anyone else noticed this?

The paint is gone (down to the greenish color) on the edge in a couple of places.
At least there won't be any rust since its plastic. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
i have the bumper protector and havn't had any problems like that. are you sure no one has rear ended you that you don't know of.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Dumb question, but were you doing this while on a completely flat surface? I think I've read about problems with the hatch when it's parked slightly off kilter since the material is composite and not metal.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It wasn't hit, it would be the bottom edge of the hatch about 1/8" thick that when closed sits directly above the bumper protector.

I was actually wiping the dried wax off & holding the hatch half open to get the lower portion when I notice the missing paint.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
hmm maybe it's warped??

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Well, my "bumper protector" is part of my "invisible Bra" install and is probably only 20 thousanths thick. But my hatch is a fairly uniform 1/4 " above that.
I suppose the factory protector could be a 1/4" thick......

Homer

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I had installed my rear bumper protector myself... as I recall if the protector was not installed correctly it could have ended up too far back onto the bumper and ride high.

There is a lip on the protector that every so slighly over hangs the bumber. Is yours installed like that it should be.

At least you don't have to worry about the hatch rusting!:2:

·
Registered
256 Posts
I had posted a while back that mine has done the same thing. Only explaination is the bumper protector is rubbing against the bottom lip. Will worry about fixing if I ever have to replace the bumper cap. If I thought the adhesive used to afix the protector would give it up without a fight I would try to pull it off, but I seriously doubt no additional damage after 2 years of S. FL sun.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks midnite, I thought I remembered something but couldn't find it.

I'm with you, it would probably cause more damage removing the protector, plus it does save the bumper when Callie (our dog) jumps up & into the back!

·
Registered
256 Posts
One explaination might be when loading something in the back we are pushing the bumper with our knees/thighs and causing it to flex upward and it doesn't have time to relax back to normal by the time the hatch gets closed. I find myself straining my back so as not to lean against the bumper but sometimes just can't help it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts