Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After beginning to Lurk here two years ago, renting one for a weekend, and eventually becoming a member, I went out a bought a pilot.

Don't get me wrong. I still love the Mo, and may get one when it's time to upgrade our other car but for me it came down to A)size- the pilot is the biggest car-based crossover/suv available in that price range, and B) WAF, she'll likely be the primary driver in a couple months when she goes back to work (and has to be the baby shuttle).

My short review of the pilot. It excels at nothing in particular, but it's pretty good at about everything. It's comfortable, big, rides well, very good safety ratings, good AWD (VTM-4), decent power for it's bulk, decent mileage for it's power, good value (initial and resale), decent towing, good build quality for it's price.

It doesn't ride as well as the Mo, isn't as sporty or fun to drive in the Mo, doesn't have nearly the gadgetry of the Mo, and certainly won't inspire the passion that a Mo does.

Styling is of course entirely subjective so don't jump all over me for it's tired appearance. I prefer the Mo's agressive styling, but the domesticated blandness of the Pilot doesn't bother me, and it serves the usefull purpose of maximizine interior volume.

We ditched my 95 Max with 192k when we got this. I miss that car. We'll be upgrading her current ride (civic- ugh) in 4-6 months, and that upgrade will likely become my primary ride. If I fall in love with riding up high I'll be shopping for a Mo for me, if I miss the sedan life I'll be shopping for another Max - the last one served me very well.

If anyone has Q's, feel free to ask. I consider myself pretty unbiased. In fact, I may be partial to the Mo, but the Pilot's growing on me. Like I said, nothing inspiring, but it does everything it's supposed to do, and does it well. Perfect vehicle for my wife, I still want something with more soul.

Oh, and the Hondapilot.org site is great too. Just like this one - full of great people and great information, just with a Honda slant.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Awesome... enjoy !! Not everyone loves the Murano more then any other SUV for a lot of reasons, looks or price... whatever the case. I heard the pilot is a great SUV. The one and only reason I don't prefer it, is it's box shape. I feel that makes it look like every other SUV on the road. That is my own personal opinion. Otherwise, it is a great SUV and I'm sure you will love it. Keep me/us updated over time how you feel about it and how it rides. It's good to hear others thoughts on other SUV's.

By the way, I had a Maxima also... another great ride. Nissan really does make some great cars.

·
Registered
545 Posts
95se: Congrats on the Pilot. It's a decent looking vehicle. Did you pay less than what you would have if you chose a Murano? Feel free to check in here whenever you like, we're all pretty friendly and helpful.
I traded a Jeep GC for the MO. After 12 years of driving the boxy suv, I was due for a change and liked the stylish lines of the Murano.
Good luck to you!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far as what I paid; it was close to 2 grand under invoice price. The primary reason is that it's the end of the model year and the '06 is a mid-cycle redesign. The 06 has a new front end, and rumored interior freshening which the pilot needs. The interior quality is subpar when compared to other current Honda's. The new odessy (or however it's spelled) is ridiculously nice inside when optioned up. For me it was better to save a few grand than have nicer leather which would just get destroyed by the wife, baby and dog trifecta.

It's hard to compare apples to apples in terms of comparing price to the Mo. When it came to negotiating I had limited it only to the Pilot, so I have no idea what the street price of the Mo is at this point in the year and model lifespan. Plus, the option packages are pretty different. I would guess my Pilot (EX-L) would most likely compare with the SL with leather? Even at that point the Pilot is missing some Murano options, but it has the major ones for me, leather, heated seats, sunroof, and vsa. Unfortunately, HIDs, adjustable pedals, seat position memory, and dual climate control aren't currently options at any price.

Oh, and it's got a 3rd row. For some this a huge point, for me not a biggy. If we ever use it, it'll be years from now. Some people would consider this a major plus. Obviously just for children or little people.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Perfect choice: Pilot for the wife, kid and dog and Murano just for you!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Perfect choice: Pilot for the wife, kid and dog and Murano just for you!
Since the thread is half a decade old I wonder if he has his Pilot still. I owned an 06 Pilot and liked it. Test drove a 2010 and hated it. Bought an 07 Murano instead.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Since the thread is half a decade old I wonder if he has his Pilot still. I owned an 06 Pilot and liked it. Test drove a 2010 and hated it. Bought an 07 Murano instead.

haha 6 years now. He probably got the murano?? haha
I liked the old pilot and the new one that I drove for my friend was alright...
didn't like the appearances... Love my 09 murano!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts