• Yes, I use CD-R's

Votes: 7 30.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone's Boze CD player ever become jammed. Upon trying to play a CD or simply switching to another CD already in the changer, the LCD screen will read "Push Eject"; When you do, either nothing happens or you can hear the mechanism working as though it is stuck. This problem can be permanent or temporary.

Whichever the case, please indicate what brand and or model of CD-R or CD-RW you are using.

Hopefully all will find this very usefull at some point. I'm on my second changer and its jamming up too. I only use what appear to be good edged CD-R's with no paper labels. Its also happened on a factory recorded CD.
I'm using Memorex CD-R 48X 700MB.

·
4,664 Posts
I've used everything from completely blank no name to name brand discs with no issues except for the mechanism slipping on one disc I made with a lot of black on the label. Black=Carbon=Lubricant so I'm not surprised.

This over a 25 month period.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Do you use homemade stick on labels? When I used to have my Ranger, I was advised by Ford not to use these on my discs since the cd player was only meant for a thinner disk. I found that when I did use a disk with a label, once in a while it would get stuck. Just a thought.

·
4,664 Posts
Yup stick on labels and they're applied well. Never had one start to peel and they've never been a problem.

Labels that don't stick well, would be a nightmare. As far as thickness goes, the amount of paint that's screened on to CD's changes the thickness, so I'm not so concerned about that.

However, RTFM as they say, there are guidelines right in the Murano Owners manual on CD's that can be used.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Any one noticed skipping and mid-track start when using the Random Play feature of the CD Player? Rather annoying but also worrisome that unit is working so hard.

·
4,664 Posts
Mine doesn't skip except on bad tracks... Confirmed with other players.

A stuck disc is a nightmare. Nissan will not retrieve it, they'll want to replace it. Getting the disc out, is a lot of screws...

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
One of the many problems I had was the problem midnightexpress mentions.

On all disc random selection the disc would play only the last few seconds of the track and then jump to the next random selection, play the last few seconds (Less than 15) and then jump.

They "could not reproduce" and before I could get it back in, the problem had gone away. :rolleyes:

Homer

·
4,664 Posts
Excellent! I'm going to move this to the audio section, but make it sticky, as a result of your tip!

·
4,664 Posts
:3:

Same disc or another one?

·
4,664 Posts
Well you know how to take out the radio, it's the same procedure as what I show on my web site for installing the wiring harness.

Let's see if I've got some other pictures that might be useful...

Here's the back of the radio after you remove it and disconnect everything. The changer's the box on top, of course.

Actually, a thought comes to mind... I wonder if you can get it out by rotating the whole thing forward (after you've unscrewed the radio of course), powering it up and telling it to eject the disc. Normally I wouldn't suggest this, but since you can't get it out anyway, it might be worth a shot.

Attachments

·
4,664 Posts
The radio/changer assembly is attached to two brackets that also attach the HVAC and metering (or whatever they call it) box and the whole thing is attached to the front control assembly with four screws. Which you can't see in this picture, but they're obvious. You'll also have to disconnect one or two wires to the controls. (Hey, long day, memory's shot.)

Attachments

·
4,664 Posts
Ah, yes two wires... There's a white ribbon cable that needs to be released and is not in this picture. The black connector keeps the end of it under compression but if you pull up on the release mechanism it will fall right out. It's on the far right in this picture.

Then you have to remove the other connector which is still in place in this picture.

Attachments

·
4,664 Posts
Here you can see the front of the changer. The white ribbon cable that you released is for the changer and allows some of the front panel controls to work, such as loading and unloading CDs.

That metal plate that goes down between the two units, also holds them together. If you're lucky, you've got enough room to get the disk at this point. If not, maybe taking off that plate will get you where you need to be. Worst case, you may have to reconnect things power it up and try to help it eject the disk with it open like this.

A word of warning... The white ribbon cable is attached to the chassis with double sided tape at the bottom right. You can see through the hole, where it attaches into a similar connector as the control circuit board. If you decide to take the cover off, be careful you don't damage that ribbon cable. It's pretty strong, but still....

Attachments

·
4,664 Posts
No problem, I had the pictures already, so I figured I'd throw them on if they'd help!

Good luck...

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
jaak said:
I've used everything from completely blank no name to name brand discs with no issues
Ditto. Even used some with the shiny label side peeling off. No problems ever, other than that stupid skipping when cold problem.

·
4,664 Posts
I don't get the skipping when cold, but my Murano's not cold that often, as it lives in my garage and I have a home office. So the most it sits outside freezing somewhere is 3-4 hours. It's rarely sat outside for a full day in the cold, or through the night.

I forgot how stiff everything gets then!

I wonder if it skips when it's cold, due to condensing humidity on the lens?

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
jaak said:
I wonder if it skips when it's cold, due to condensing humidity on the lens?
Most likely. I can take a CD, hold it in front of the heater until it's warm, try to play it and it will still skip. But the skipping doesn't start as soon as I get in the car, it seems to start after the engine warms up and the heater starts blowing warm air.

Very annoying, but I don't want to get the CD player replaced because A) I don't want them messing with my aftermarket stuff and B) I'll be putting in some sort of DVD system eventually.

·
4,664 Posts
Cryogenix said:
Jaak (or anyone) can I install the Bose CD changer in this thing without modifying anything? Or is the wiring different from the single-disc Clarion?
I'd have to check the Service Manual... I don't think yours has the outboard power amp, does it?

·
4,664 Posts
Tyler_Canada said:

Most likely. I can take a CD, hold it in front of the heater until it's warm, try to play it and it will still skip. But the skipping doesn't start as soon as I get in the car, it seems to start after the engine warms up and the heater starts blowing warm air.
OK, so cold lens, gets warm moist air hitting it, humidity in warm moist air (plus the human giving off humidity) circulated by heating, and a very small amount of condensation lands on it and causes optical errors.

This is entirely speculation, but not impossible. I've see test equipment fail self calibration during the period where it's cold and warming up in air that's warmer for the same reason. A little bit of condensation, almost invisible.

If this is the case, there's nothing much you can do about it.

If it's just a lousy player, then a new one might help. Again, just speculation and throwing out ideas...

·
4,664 Posts
jaak said:
I'd have to check the Service Manual... I don't think yours has the outboard power amp, does it?
No outboard PA, so if you plug it in, it will very quiet...

If you're not running sat and don't see the need to, I seem to remember someone attaching an outboard changer and it was happy with that... Either the OEM Nissan one, or a USA-SPEC changer, which would plug right in at the end of the Sat harness. Same connector... I first got Sat working with the USA-SPEC changer harness, when Nissan wasn't selling the Sat harness.

And an outboard changer is easier to take apart, I bet!

I wonder if that spring is from inside, or the door on the CD slot?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts