Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brake & Battery Lights On Together Means Imminent Vehicle Failure

As some members have had some alarming experiences because they were not aware of the meaning of the warning signal, please allow me to make this Public Service Announcement...

IF THE BRAKE AND BATTERY WARNING LIGHTS COME ON TOGETHER, THERE IS AN IMMINENT ALTERNATOR FAILURE WHICH WILL COMPLETELY DISABLE YOUR VEHICLE.

You may be able to drive several more miles, maybe not. Make plans accordingly. Limit the drain on your battery and get to a location from which the vehicle can be safely towed if necessary. Contact Nissan service immediately to have the alternator replaced.

See CopperKat's photo of the BRAKE and BATTERY/CHARGE lights on in his post below.

UPDATE 7/14/05:
The Nissan Murano alternators are being recalled. For more information, please see the recall thread at link
.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,092 Posts
Thanks for the heads up but as you metion this is posted numerous times on this searchable awesome sight....


No back to your regularly scheduled program.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
I would say the the illumination of both lights IS an indication of alternator failure - just a matter of how long the battery will carry you until it discharges...:) ...!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gonzo said:
Thanks for the heads up but as you metion this is posted numerous times on this searchable awesome sight....


No back to your regularly scheduled program.
Fair enough, but if you read through some of those posts (including one from a couple of days ago), you will see that some people still aren't aware of what those warning lights mean. And I'm guessing some don't realize what an alternator failure really entails.

I hoped that if a post with the warning signal in the title helped bring that to even one person's attention, it was worth a try. Too many close calls listed (people's vehicles dying in intersections, merging onto the highway, etc.). Figured it was worth a shot.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,280 Posts
zofsuvs said:
...you will see that some people still aren't aware of what those warning lights mean...
I am with zofsuvs, this failure is not just an inconvinience, but a safety hazard and the more people see and hear it talked about, the more they will be prepared for it when it happens to them.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,402 Posts
I just turned this into a sticky.

[+ -] battery

(BRAKE) brake
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Eric L. said:
I just turned this into a sticky.

[+ -] battery

(BRAKE) brake
Thanks Eric.

I guess the "Battery" light is technically the "Charge" light, but no need to make it any more confusing. ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,402 Posts
zofsuvs said:
Fair enough, but if you read through some of those posts (including one from a couple of days ago), you will see that some people still aren't aware of what those warning lights mean. And I'm guessing some don't realize what an alternator failure really entails.

I hoped that if a post with the warning signal in the title helped bring that to even one person's attention, it was worth a try. Too many close calls listed (people's vehicles dying in intersections, merging onto the highway, etc.). Figured it was worth a shot.
I second that. It surprised me as well with so many people saying their Muranos "suddenly died" on them, and then later admitting "well yeah the brake and battery light were on, but I IGNORED it." So I think this additional post is worth it to have. If anything, it might show up on a google and help those who are not members of the .org.
 

·
Just wanna help
Joined
·
1,403 Posts
It would be nice if someone will take a pic of this brake and baterry light

while thye are on and post it under this topic....jumbo size!

:4:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: It would be nice if someone will take a pic of this brake and baterry light

SugarRushMurano said:
while thye are on and post it under this topic....jumbo size!

:4:
Well, I'm not volunteering!! :headshake
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Eric L. said:


I second that. It surprised me as well with so many people saying their Muranos "suddenly died" on them, and then later admitting "well yeah the brake and battery light were on, but I IGNORED it." So I think this additional post is worth it to have. If anything, it might show up on a google and help those who are not members of the .org.
I'm as guilty of this as any, at least in a way. At the time, I was still hanging out exclusively at F.A., and had drifted away there as well. When my alternator failed, I checked back in at F.A. and found several other reports about alternator failures. Then checked here as well. Eric, I hadn't even realized you had created a poll on the topic before then.

Anyway, if I had been aware of the Brake + Battery light warning, I would have known full well not to attempt the drive home. I knew there was a problem of course, but being late at night I thought I'd try to make it home. Bad idea. Keep in mind, all is well until the moment the vehicle loses power.

Thanks Eric to you and all who have posted on this problem. Hopefully, this forum can make as many people as possible aware of the warning before something really bad happens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
423 Posts
Well, looks like I'll soon be a member of the faulty alternator club. My Murano is sitting in my garage, 25 miles away from the nearest dealer, and I've got this glaring at me . . .

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,402 Posts
A photo of horror indeed! If you have a battery charger, use it. You'll need a full battery to make it to the Nissan dealer.
 

·
Just wanna help
Joined
·
1,403 Posts
Coopercat, thanks for posting the pic...

And i hope you will get your Mo fix soon!...:4:
Dont forget to file a complain with NHTSA after that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
423 Posts
Well, I bought a battery tester/charger and hooked it up to the battery and got a reading of 60%. This was after driving only 1 mile after the battery & brake lights went on. I also checked the water level in the battery, and it was fine. I charged the battery back to 100% and was able to drive the 25 miles to the dealer without incident. Alternator had to be replaced. Luckily, they had ordered an extra one the previous week and I had my vehicle back the same day. Filed my complaint with NHTSA last night.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,402 Posts
CopperKat said:
Well, I bought a battery tester/charger and hooked it up to the battery and got a reading of 60%. This was after driving only 1 mile after the battery & brake lights went on. I also checked the water level in the battery, and it was fine. I charged the battery back to 100% and was able to drive the 25 miles to the dealer without incident. Alternator had to be replaced. Luckily, they had ordered an extra one the previous week and I had my vehicle back the same day. Filed my complaint with NHTSA last night.
Great to hear you made it to the dealer ok. Granted most Murano owners would probably not have a battery charger (or even a voltmeter), but your example shows how with a little bit of work, the alternator breakdown can be made a little less inconvenient. Its stil a PITA but at least you didn't break down on the road.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for posting the pic CopperKat. Good idea SugarRush. I changed the first post to mention his photo there too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,637 Posts
I can tell you folks this.....

Because of these boards, I knew to take my MO directly to the dealer when these lights came on. Had it not been for the insight I gained here, who knows where I may have finally "died" at.

Like Zman said, aside from the idiot lights glowing, the car performs normally. Normally, I would not have raced to the dealer for an alternator replacement.

The only tip I would give, aside from making sure your battery has a full charge, is to turn off all electrical accessories. I was able to drive almost 30 miles to the dealer

(disclaimer: your experience and mileage may vary)
 
1 - 20 of 91 Posts
About this Discussion
90 Replies
33 Participants
jameswdj96
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing
Top