Nissan Murano Forum banner

41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
my alternator burnout story

so i was driving along to a friends baby shower about 40 minutes away. about ten minutes away i notice that my BRAKE light is on. then i think to myself, " did i just drive 30 minutes with my emergency brake on?" then i noticed the battery light. oh no! stupid baby shower. after the shower was over i asked a friend to charge up my battery for my hopeful quick ride home. now if you're not familiar with nj to ny traffic then you might not fully comprehend the fear that hit me when i saw all the red brake lights trying to get into the holland tunnel. luckily i make it through the traffic and not get stuck inthe tunnel. i make it through the city, although if i was gonna run out of juice i was hoping it'd be in the city. but noooooooooooo, i hit the highway and about 5 minutes into the highway ride i lose power....IN THE MIDDLE OF THE HIGHWAY! i was able to get to the side. a friend in a car behind me pulled over and got the jump. it was a nite to remember. cause his car was a rental...and a saturn. which if you don't know, which i didn't, the battery is in the trunk of the car. which meant that it allowed us to be single file on the shoulder of the highway. good thing.

brought the MO in on monday morning got it back monday morning. getting the radio cahnged too. ugh. dumb alternators.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Re: my alternator burnout story

quikkik said:
brought the MO in on monday morning got it back monday morning. getting the radio cahnged too. ugh. dumb alternators.
Good that eveything is fine now.

Story like this is the reason why alternator recall need to be done and the atttitude "if it ain't broke, dont fix it" should be let go!
You dont want that alternator to fail when you are in the most inconvinient occasion/location. I asked my Nissan Tech whether the old alt will 100% fail? He said: "Yes! It is just a matter of time!" ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
My mothers 06 just died in the middle of the road right now. She is in Lawrenceville GA and I'm in Sandy Springs, GA. It's ****ing great to find out now. I don't even know why the alternator wasn't replaced before they sold it to her and I for one I regret making the down payment on it.

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
QBridg3 said:
My mothers 06 just died in the middle of the road right now. I don't even know why the alternator wasn't replaced before they sold it to her and I for one I regret making the down payment on it.
QBridg3-

The 06's were not affected by the recall. The "fixed" alternators began showing up on MOs in mid-2005. Your mother's 2006 MO has the upgraded alternator.

The problem is likely something else. Why do you assume it is the alternator?

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
njjoe is correct. I have an '05, with a build date of Jan '05 if I remember correct. My VIN was just outside of the recall, meaning that they had already started using the new ones.

All '06 models should be the new version of the alternator, so if this is indeed what is happening it must be a genuine problem with the alternator failing rather than the recall issue.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Nissan had an Alternator recall for '97Maximas. My car was about a month out of the range. Its alternator died a few months after they announced the recall. Luckily I was just pulling into a parking lot with my boss in the car, so he gave me a push. Got the car towed and repaired in 2 hrs. That was the only thing that was wrong with my Max, 190Kmiles and counting. So I think Nissan just throw out some lucky range of vins. The problem could be bigger. They may still be using the same alternator crap that was in the '97 Max. But don't feel bad, my Corolla blew the alternator at 37Kmiles and the Accord blew its around 46Kmiles (I got acid steam coming out of the battery).

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
maxfan said:
So I think Nissan just throw out some lucky range of vins. The problem could be bigger. They may still be using the same alternator crap that was in the '97 Max.
That is not the case.

Nissan discovered there was a problem with the MO's alternator, designed and implemented the fix on the production line, and initiated a recall for the MOs in transit and in the field. The redesigned alternators are doing just fine.

-njjoe

·
Registered
4 Posts
Alt Replaced and Car Now Stalls on Start Up

ALT Failed.

Made it to Garage.

Fixed ALT - Paid $400 bucks.

Drive down the road everything was fine. Stopped - got gas. Restarted car and it shut down immediately.

Tried a number of times more - same effect.

Gave it gas after starting and it continued to run.

Put it in gear and didn't stall.

What do I do to fix this?

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Well, it "could" be any number of things.
But since you just went through an alternator replacement, and since any shop in their right mind would disconnect the battery....
Anytime that the battery is disconnecte for more than an hour, the dealer has to perform an "idle Relearn Procedure".

That should have been done after, and as a part of, the Alt replacement.

Homer

BTW, this was covered in TSB 05090 I believe.
Idle should be 650-700 RPMs when warm.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an '03. It has about 83.5Kmi so I am out of the recall coverage.

How do I access TSB 05090 to perform the Idle Relearn? Or do I take it back to the garage?

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Chris Knight said:
I have an '03. It has about 83.5Kmi so I am out of the recall coverage.
It was my understanding that a safety recall had no mileage nor time limits.

-njjoe

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well that would be really great if the recall still applies.

I took it to the Garage today and the owner informed me that he couldn't do the reset and recommended the dealer - 40+miles away - perform the reset.

I will take it to the dealer on Sat and let you know if they can help refund my money. I still have the recall notice and will hopefully get my $400 back!

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
According to the recall documentation (see below) you may be eligible for reimbursement.

I would also suggest that you ask them to do the relearn procedure as a freebie since it would have had to be performed as part of the recall.

By the way, I would tell them you never recieved the recall notice and learned about it only after the alternator was replaced. Otherwise they may say you are SOL.

-njjoe

Attachments

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Is this what it looks like? I just Photoshopped out the other lights? If not let me know and I will do the appropriate ones....

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
njjoe said:
According to the recall documentation (see below) you may be eligible for reimbursement.

I would also suggest that you ask them to do the relearn procedure as a freebie since it would have had to be performed as part of the recall.

By the way, I would tell them you never recieved the recall notice and learned about it only after the alternator was replaced. Otherwise they may say you are SOL.

-njjoe
njjoe,

Thanks for your advice - I really appreciate it. I will hit them up with your suggestion - if it doesn't work - I will call the number on this blog and see about a refund check!

Thanks again,

Chris Knight

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Well three years after having the alternator recall the alternator died yesterday.... BAT and Brake lights came on and I heard what sounded like a jack hammer off in the distance.... I noticed that the sound was coming from my MO and varied with engine RPM. I turned off the AC and the sound went away but noticed the warning lights. I dropped my daughter off and drove home... then drove to have it repaired. It was the alternator. Geeesh.

So they also mentioned that I should have my battery replaced... it was only putting out 175AMPs .... I said thats OK I'll wait on that. Heck the battery made it home though two restarts and 30 minutes of driving without an alternator... why replace it..... heck with the new alternator I'm going to will wait on replacing the oringal battery for sure.

One interesting note... the Nissan batteries have a 84 month warranty with 24 month replacement warranty now... hmmmm didn't they used to be just 36 months pro-rated warranty?

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Gonzo-

Being that you already had the recall performed years ago, did Nissan pick up the tab for the new alternator or did it come out of your pocket?

MOs come from the factory with 36-month batteries (except your MO, of course, with it's plutonium fuel cell). Dealers sell the 7-year battery as a replacement.

-njjoe

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
No Nissan would NOT pickup the tab... any work has a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty. The recall was performed 3 years ago.

I wonder if I had a remanu alternator during the recall... I bet it was.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all,
I registered expressly so I could thank you for posting about the meaning of the warning light combination. This happened to me yesterday afternoon not far from home. Once I arrived, I checked my manual which didn't help much and then googled the symptoms and saw a link to this forum. Once I read it I immediately went to a mechanic and asked them to check the electrical system. Sure enough the guy came to me and said "your alternator isn't charging." Thankfully, I learned from here and saved myself from getting stuck in a bad situation on the road. I'm truly grateful!

41 - 60 of 91 Posts
About this Discussion
90 Replies
33 Participants
jameswdj96
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing