Nissan Murano Forum banner

81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Love this forum. My 04 SL (new to me since Jan 2012) started having problems weeks after I took ownership of it. After some detective work and with the help of this forum I was able to pinpoint the problem to the alternator. It was already replaced under recall by a previous owner so I had it replaced with a rebuilt alternator at my expense. All was well for a while...

A couple weeks ago my MO failed to start. Apparently I'd left the lights on and it died. I wasn't gone that long but fair enough. I boost it, it starts and I drive around for a while. Next time I start the car same thing. A week later it went into limp mode a couple of times but I was able to kick it out by flooring the accel. Charge and Brake lights also came on. I had the battery tested and it failed so I bought a new battery.

Now all is well so far but the other day I noticed the Charge and Brake lights flickering intermittently. Revving the engine seems to change the pattern of flickering sometimes but overall the RPM seems to have no effect. The lights go away after a few minutes of driving. While changing my oil I disconnected the battery, cleaned the terminals and clamps but the problem persists.

I'm hoping that this just means a bad ground connection somewhere but I fear it means the 6 month old alternator is failing again?

[edit] Also had A/C work done recently but it was just a leak test and recharge so I figure the serpentine belt wasn't messed with. [/edit]

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got a quick question, and who better to ask than this forum... I recently had my alternator replaced on my 05 Murano, and maybe 2-3 weeks afterwards I got into a minor accident (two days ago). To make a long story short, there was some front end damage, but the radiator is fine since the engine isn't overheating, and the AC is fine... really the only thing damaged is the bumper... BUT... now I see the brake light+battery light combo on the dash. Any chance it could be because of the accident? Just asking because I would like to know how to approach the situation..

·
Super Moderator
7,619 Posts
I've got a quick question, and who better to ask than this forum... I recently had my alternator replaced on my 05 Murano, and maybe 2-3 weeks afterwards I got into a minor accident (two days ago). To make a long story short, there was some front end damage, but the radiator is fine since the engine isn't overheating, and the AC is fine... really the only thing damaged is the bumper... BUT... now I see the brake light+battery light combo on the dash. Any chance it could be because of the accident? Just asking because I would like to know how to approach the situation..
You won't know until you find out the cause. I suspect that the reason the lights are on is that your battery is discharging - maybe a cable was broken. I don't recall the meaning of the lights on, but your manual may tell you.l

·
Registered
1 Posts
Love this forum. My 04 SL (new to me since Jan 2012) started having problems weeks after I took ownership of it. After some detective work and with the help of this forum I was able to pinpoint the problem to the alternator. It was already replaced under recall by a previous owner so I had it replaced with a rebuilt alternator at my expense. All was well for a while...

A couple weeks ago my MO failed to start. Apparently I'd left the lights on and it died. I wasn't gone that long but fair enough. I boost it, it starts and I drive around for a while. Next time I start the car same thing. A week later it went into limp mode a couple of times but I was able to kick it out by flooring the accel. Charge and Brake lights also came on. I had the battery tested and it failed so I bought a new battery.

Now all is well so far but the other day I noticed the Charge and Brake lights flickering intermittently. Revving the engine seems to change the pattern of flickering sometimes but overall the RPM seems to have no effect. The lights go away after a few minutes of driving. While changing my oil I disconnected the battery, cleaned the terminals and clamps but the problem persists.

I'm hoping that this just means a bad ground connection somewhere but I fear it means the 6 month old alternator is failing again?

[edit] Also had A/C work done recently but it was just a leak test and recharge so I figure the serpentine belt wasn't messed with. [/edit]
Did you ever get resolve on this? I am having the same problem.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Did you ever get resolve on this? I am having the same problem.
My resolution was to crash the MO and buy a F-150 :laugh:. Ok, not really by choice but I'm happy with the outcome lol.

No I didn't resolve it. I continued to drive it like this and it didn't die on me but it did start to shake violently and lose power intermittently, especially at highway speeds. My guess is that it wasn't generating enough spark to properly ignite all cylinders. I still suspect it was a bad ground connection at the alternator but I guess I'll never know for sure now. The intermittent nature of this problem is what made it difficult to diagnose.

·
Registered
1 Posts
battery light still on

i've replaced my alternator, and the battery light still shows dim during the day and lit up at night with all the other lights on the instrument panel, any advice how to take it off?

·
Super Moderator
7,619 Posts
i've replaced my alternator, and the battery light still shows dim during the day and lit up at night with all the other lights on the instrument panel, any advice how to take it off?
I'd suggest having your charging system tested instead of guessing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Brake Battery light

My 2009 just started displaying the brake battery light. It only come on briefly when it's cold and then stays off once warm. Does it mean when the lights on, it's not charging? I guess from the posts here I should make an appointment with my dealer asap.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow 12 days with no replies. Well I brought it to the dealer and they said the alternator tested bad and replaced it. It was under the warrantee I had purchased and I had to shell out $100 for the deductible. The dealer also hooked me up with a rental for a few days. So far so good.

81 - 91 of 91 Posts
About this Discussion
90 Replies
33 Participants
jameswdj96
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing