Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
just looked at mine today and it looks the same as yours. I don't remember it looking like this but I really didn't take note of it. maybe its just the reservoir itself imparting the shades? hopefully, others will weigh in on what they have.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Dealership wanted mine changed at 40,000 per the schedule but declined for now. Said it’s suppose to be clear.
Yours look slightly dark to me.

·
Registered
197 Posts
My car with only ~400 miles on it is still clear, but it still shows slightly different shades like the OP. Must be different compartments in the reservoir?

The FSM recommends the brake fluid to be changed every 20k miles or 24 months.

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
Brought my 2015 in today for the Brake Fluid Flush.
43,000 miles on it, definitely clear fluid in the reservoir now.
Brake Pedal, seems more firm to.

·
Registered
30 Posts
This issue seems unique to Nissan. Our 18 Murano is our first Nissan after having mostly Ford vehicles. Almost all of our vehicle service is done by the dealer and I have yet to have the dealer recommend a brake fluid flush. We put over 100,000 miles on them before we trade and have yet to drain and flush the brake fluid. Why do Nissan's need this at 40-50,000 miles?

·
Registered
47 Posts
i was at dealer a couple of months ago for oil change and they wanted to do a brake fluid change too..i had only 38000 miles at the time...i wondered why too...declined as well i think they want 109.00 to do it...

·
Registered
126 Posts
update concerning the op concern, I remove cap and filter and there are baffles that run side-to-side just where the fluid appears darker in his pic. the fluid can flow freely between the sections through a cutout in the baffles. i'd say that the color gradient is an optical artifact of these baffles. though it's definitely good to change the brake fluid at least every couple-few years or more often if you're in a ofttimes humid or high humidity local.

·
Super Moderator
7,626 Posts
Fluid color is irrelevant. Brake fluid flushes/replacement should be at about 3 year intervals because brake fluid is hygroscopic and accumulated moisture from the atmosphere.

Brake fluid with water in it has a lower boiling point, making the brakes prone to fade under heavy use. Moisture can also accumulate in brake calipers, causing corrosion leading to stuck brake pistons or caliper problem.

If you live in a high humidity area, this becomes more important than if you live in Death Valley.

·
Registered
725 Posts
The consensus seems to be that this aggressive change schedule is a dealer service money maker. However, is there any information for our gen 3 models that indicates that this change (at 20k) would be prudent while under warranty?
I never changed the brake fluid in my 2010 Murano, my mechanic said it was not needed, and never had any issues in 8 years or 85k. Back in my youth we had to regularly change brake fluid in our 60’s and 70’s era vehicles as they seemed to be much more susceptible to water, air and other contamination. Never had an issue with a Japanese designed car since the 90’s and would typically change once around 60k as preventative measure.
Thoughts on adhering to the FSM while under warranty?

My car with only ~400 miles on it is still clear, but it still shows slightly different shades like the OP. Must be different compartments in the reservoir?

The FSM recommends the brake fluid to be changed every 20k miles or 24 months.

·
Super Moderator
7,626 Posts
There is considerable agreement that brake fluid should be changed about every 3 years, as it draws moisture and can corrode the brake piston bores. When moisture accumulates, it also reduces the boiling point of brake fluid, which can cause brake fade under heave use, especially in cars with antilock brakes.

I have had brake issues, including pistons hanging up in the bore, with a couple of vehicles that didn't have the changes done.

It is not a mileage-related service. 3 years without moving the vehicle is probably worse than 3 years at 15,000 miles per year. Brake calipers aren't cheap, and changing fluid is a safety issue as well as a service issue.

And if a new owner doesn't follow or exceed the service recommendations while under warranty (and keep careful records), in my opinion they are throwing away thousands of dollars in warranty coverage.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Also, the 3rd gen Muranos add an expensive component into the brake system to modulate the brakes for Automatic Emergency Braking, Intelligent Cruise Control, and for 2019 Muranos, Intelligent Lane Intervention...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
8 Participants
MuranoSL2003
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing