Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in the waiting room at my Nissan dealer getting my 15k service done, and overheard one of the Service Managers talking to woman about her car. The SM was recommending a brake fluid flush for $150 because the fluid looked dirty. Before she made her decision, the SM stepped away to check on something. So I asked the lady, how many miles she had on her car - 28k.

How often should the fluid be replaced (flushed)? I looked through the maintenance schedule and it only shows that the fluid level be checked every service. It says nothing about a flush.

What would YOU tell the SM if you were approached with this on your car?

-Hokey

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
hokey777 said:
I would NEVER let this service department even touch my car in the first place.

Why is it no surprise that a service department doing a 15K service on a Mo (unless it's just an oil and oil filter change) would recommend something as bogus as a brake fluid flush?

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
hokey777 said:
:moon: :bsflag: 'Nuff said?

-njjoe

·
Registered
844 Posts
hokey777 said:
I was in the waiting room at my Nissan dealer getting my 15k service done, and overheard one of the Service Managers talking to woman about her car. The SM was recommending a brake fluid flush for $150 because the fluid looked dirty. Before she made her decision, the SM stepped away to check on something. So I asked the lady, how many miles she had on her car - 28k.

How often should the fluid be replaced (flushed)? I looked through the maintenance schedule and it only shows that the fluid level be checked every service. It says nothing about a flush.

-Hokey
I never plan on changing my brake fluid as it is in a sealed system and rarely, if ever requires a top up. However when I had to replace my rear brake calpiers due to a seizing problem, the brake fluid leaked out by gravity, so I did flush out the system.

My dealer has never recommended a brake flush unless they are doing brakes. The key here is there is no requirement in changing out brake fluid at a specific mileage. I had 140,000 Km onm my Mo when I changed it out as metioned aboved.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Re: Re: Brake fluid flush?

Stoker said:
I never plan on changing my brake fluid as it is in a sealed system and rarely, if ever requires a top up. However when I had to replace my rear brake calpiers due to a seizing problem, the brake fluid leaked out by gravity, so I did flush out the system.
I've never done a `brake fluid flush' on my 15 year old, 207K miles Maxima, and the brakes work perfectly.

That said, like you Stoke, I have over the years had to bleed the brakes a few times. I've replaced the rear calipers twice each, due to the well-known rear caliper siezing the 4th gen Max is known for. But it's really not leakage that makes a bleed necessary - it's the installation of a new caliper full of air that has to be purged (filled) via bleeding to get your brake pedal back.

Anytime you bleed your brakes (certainly not needed yet on my Mo that is only 5 years old and has less than 70K miles on it), you naturally get fresh brake fluid into your system.

Again - dealer brake fluid flushes are a rip off. Especially at $150!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree with you guys. I told the lady that she probably didn't need a flush and it was a "suggestive sale". Then she asked me how often it should be done, to which I replied "not sure, but I don't think it ever really needs to be done because of it being dirty or old".

That said, I did my own flush on my 2000 Durango at 95k because the brakes felt a little 'soft'. I pushed out all of the dirty fluid until it ran clean, but there was no air in the lines that I could see. When I was done, the brakes felt firmer, but I thought maybe I was imagining it because I wanted it to fell better (like I really accomplished something). But then my son, who has his permit and drove the car many times before and not knowing that I did anything to the brakes, drove the D and said "did you do the brakes or something? they feel better/tighter". So maybe it did improve the performance after all. :)

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I have heard that brake fluid can deteriorate over time, but I'm pretty sure it's the brake fluid manufacturers who like to claim that. Plus, I also think the fluid is hygroscopic so, even though it's pretty much a sealed system, it's possible that moisture could cause negative effects. This would be over a long time period, however, NOT just a couple of years.

And periodic brake bleeding would take care of all of these factors as well.

I'm still curious, hokey, what else besides the engine oil and oil filter did your dealer do to your Mo at 15K miles? And, if you don't mind me asking, how much did they charge?

Maybe the rest of us here are off base and are missing some maintenance we should be doing.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We purchased the Maintenance Plus Gold Prefered service plan (http://www.nissanusa.com/pdf/owning/MaintenancePlus.pdf)when we bought the Mo, so everything is included. The 15k service does the following:
Replace engine oil and filter
Lubricate all locks/hinges
Replace engine air filter
Replace in-cabin microfilter 1
Replace wiper blades
Rotate tires
1 day car rental ($35)
We paid somewhere around 1700 for it which does service every 3750 miles up to 60k, so it averages $100 per service, but I think the 30k and 60k make up for it because they replace a lot more on those services. Good deal / bad deal? - who knows, but not too unreasonable. What's an extra 1700 for a 40,000 car? - not much. Technically, it's my wifes car, she wanted it and doesn't want me to do the maintenance on it. Heck, she won't even let me do the video while driving mod. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
The brake fluid doesn't ever need changing except perhaps during a normal brake pad/rotor replacement where they might be bled to get air out of the system. Even in that case, all the fluid is rarely replaced. I did a flush on mine, but I had a pressure tool which made it easy to do for a switchover to ATE Super Blue synthetic brake fluid.

·
Registered
50 Posts
hokey777 said:
What's an extra 1700 for a 40,000 car?

That's what I said too. It may come out to $100 per service visit but if something goes wrong or you need any repairs beyond regular service that number goes up real quick. That service plan covers all parts and labor on every part/component in the car, including all those nice electronic gadgets. Definitely worth the piece of mind.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
hokey777 said:
I think the 30k and 60k make up for it because they replace a lot more on those services.
What would your dealer be `replacing' other than the air cleaner (a $10, 5 minute DIY job) at 30K or 60K? Besides that and the normal oil and oil filter change every 7500, the only other periodic replacement item is the in-cabin filter (once a year or every 15K miles). Oh yeah, Nissan recommends the antifreeze be changed at 60K too. That's about a $75 job at the dealer.

If you are following the severe maintenance schedule, the only difference is the oil and oil filter being changed every 3750 instead of 7500. If you are not following that maintenance schedule (ie doing trailer towing, all stop and go driving, mud bogging, off roading, etc) there is zero reason to take your car in every 3750 miles.

We've discussed elsewhere in this forum recently dealers charging outrageous amounts for bogus 30K and 60K maintenance visits.

I'm not saying the $2K warranty isn't worth it - maybe the peace of mind for you is worth that alone. But I know that NO Mo would require anywhere near $2K in regular service (oil/filters/antifreeze) over the life of the warranty. Could this warranty also be covering brakes, tires and the battery?

I'm not doing anything special here (other than my own oil and filter changes) and I just paid for the first ever dealer service on my 04 SE with 67K miles - $195 for the 2 accessory belts and an antifreeze flush. And I only had those done before taking a trip from NE to NC is a couple of months. if not for that trip, I would have held off another year at least for those 2 items.

I just don't want anyone reading this forum and thinking about buying a Mo to think that these cars require much regular maintenance. They don't!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
30k:
Replace automatic transmission/CVT fluid
Replace differential oil
Replace engine coolant/flush system
Replace engine drive belts
Replace in-cabin microfilter
Replace manual transmission oil
Replace radiator cap
Replace transfer case oil (4WD/AWD)
Replace wiper blades
Rotate tires

60k - all of 30k plus:
Replace radiator hoses

Wife wants it, wife gets it. :D

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
hokey777 said:
30k:
Replace automatic transmission/CVT fluid
Replace differential oil
Replace engine coolant/flush system
Replace engine drive belts
Replace in-cabin microfilter
Replace manual transmission oil
Replace radiator cap
Replace transfer case oil (4WD/AWD)
Replace wiper blades
Rotate tires

60k - all of 30k plus:
Replace radiator hoses
That's a generic list that is definitely not required (except for the engine oil, filters, and rotating the tires) at only 30K. Even at 60K, the only other thing needed might be antifreeze and the 2 accessory belts. Wipers would be OK too, but are usually done when needed (not at a set interval) and certainly not by the dealer. Most car parts places throw those on for you at no charge, if you don't want to spend the few seconds it takes to do those yourself.

Again, no offense - but I don't want people to think these things are needed at only 30K or 60K miles on a Mo. Maybe radiator hoses were replaced at only 60K in the 60's, but no longer today.

(oh yeah - you can tell it's a generic list because of the manual trans. thing!)

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Figuring out what maintenance is needed should include "type of usage" as well as "amount of time vs. mileage". For instance, an engine with 60k miles of stop and go city driving has probably lived the same life as an engine which has $120k miles of high speed highway driving so it requires more maintenance at lower mileage intervals.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I used to have an Acura... which did recommend replacing brake fluid every 60K miles.

Even though its a sealed system moisture might still accumulate. It just an over maintenance item like changing your oil every 3K when you do a lot of hightway driving... not necessary but still many still change it.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Gonzo said:
I used to have an Acura... which did recommend replacing brake fluid every 60K miles.

Even though its a sealed system moisture might still accumulate. It just an over maintenance item like changing your oil every 3K when you do a lot of hightway driving... not necessary but still many still change it.
Some over maintenance like a 60K brake fluid flush on a premium (Acura, Infiniti, or Lexus) car, or too-frequent oil changes sort of make sense to me.

But charging innocent customers $1700 for totally bogus `maintenance' is, as norm McDonald would say `a whole nother kettle of fish.'

Replacing a radiator cap every 30K or changing the manual transmission oil in a car with a CVT trans would certainly be red flags for me that it is a bogus plan.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
8 Participants
nafddur
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing