Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 70,000 on the original brakes, still have pad left and want to change them before they start grinding on the rotors.

1. are the pads sold by Nissan EXACTLEY the same pad that came with the car, or are they an aftermarket item that may not give the same performance?

2. is it necessary to turn the rotors? I have always suspected that turning the rotors had more to do with the shop making some more money but I'm open to changing my mind.

Thanks,

Ray

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
I cannot speak to the pads but unless you have hot spots on the rotors or your steering wheel shakes during braking (indicates warped rotors) there is no need to turn them. 9 out 10 though mechanics will insist on turning the rotors before agreeing to guaranty their work.

·
5,244 Posts
I am with Zeb. If you do not feel any vibration when applying brakes there is no need for turnig the rotors.

As for replacement - if you by from Nissan dealer you should get a genuine replacement, not an aftermarket one. But you need to check it with your dealer.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I to also agree about not turning the rotors unless they they show that they need it, gouges grind marks or a lip on the rotor. I just change my pads out at 72000 Kms and they could have gone more ( highway driving). I would recommend that you have the rotors measured for how thick they are after every second brake job as they do wear.

I look at OEM pad replacement and they are more expensive ( 50% ) but they are not like what you see on any other pads as they are a composite material. What I have noticed is that the new pads are more noisy that the OEM and that I see more brake dust on the rims.

I will probably go back to the OEM pads when the time is up again or sooner. These are supposed to be high performance pads and I do not think much of them due to the noise and dust factor.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
I recommend against doing any brake jobs unless they are absolutely needed.

In my last visit to the dealer I was about a 100 miles away from end of factory warranty so I decided to take advantage of any left over TSB. I complained about the sqeak while backing up and also told them I had a steering shake during hard brake (which I did but it was almost not noticable). So they changed all the pads with new ones and turned the rotors. Now my brakes are not as firm as they used to be and the sqeak is so loud it is almost embarrassing....:3:

·
5,244 Posts
Stoker said:
I look at OEM pad replacement and they are more expensive ( 50% ) but they are not like what you see on any other pads as they are a composite material.
If I am not mistaken they are ceramic

·
Registered
842 Posts
Kris said:

If I am not mistaken they are ceramic
Kris
You are correct, they are ceramic, thanks

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
(I agree about not having to turn the rotors if they don't need it)

But....the reason most good brake guys want you to get the rotor turned is because it makes bedding the new pads easier.

But there is a trick you can do to keep the squeal down and cause the new pads to bed faster/better than just slappin'em on there:

Get some very coarse sand paper and sand the rotors in an orbital motion on both sides. You dont have to sand it all, just make a bunch of swirls across the grain of the rotor. It'll knock any glaze off as well (causes squeal).
:D

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
One of the nice features of the MO's ceramic OEM pads is very obvious...

As compared to "standard" pads, the ceramic pads generate much less brake dust, so your wheels stay cleaner, longer.

-njjoe

·
5,244 Posts
nijoe,

do not forget they do last longer and have better performance!

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Nissan sells two lines of brake pads. There is the OEM replacement pads (same as came with the vehicle), and also the "Nissan Key Value" pads which do not perform as well as stock (and are advertised in those mailers your dealership sends you, with $99 brake specials).

For an idea of what the OEM pads should cost, check out Courtesy Nissan (www.courtesyparts.com).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts