Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brought my 03 in for its 37,500 scheduled service today and the service rep said they noticed the front brake pads were down to 3MM and the back were down to 4MM. He said the min recommended is 2MM. So, I had the fronts replaced but held off on the rears.

My question is, just how worn are these? I'd be better off hearing 85% or something but 3MM means nothing to me since I don't know what I start with.

Is 37,500 good mileage to get on the brake pads? More curious than anything.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Here you go. Brake service data from FSM.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
mordel-

The front brakes had 13% of the serviceable pad material remaining.

The rear brakes have 30%, which, considering your past usage, should be good for another 16k miles.

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Keep in mind a brake pad's performance deteriorates as the pad wears down, mainly due to decreased mass to dissipate the heat. Not a huge difference, but its there.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys! That definitely helps. I usually like to know when the dealership tries to blow smoke up my butt. :)

The question still remains, is 37,500 miles good for brake pads, or should I be getting more. I would've thought more because I hardly ever touch the brakes. Highway driving I leave plenty of space between me and the car in front and will always utilize the engine braking assist. So, my brake usage is very minimal.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I think talking about miles between brake jobs is kind of a moot point, since the Murano has pretty good brakes and if they wear out quickly, well its because they work so well. 33,000 miles is probably average for brake pad life, but that number varies depending on how you drive. I'm sure a very aggressive driver can wear out the pads in 15,000 miles, whereas a freeway cruiser can make them last 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
njjoe said:
mordel-

The front brakes had 13% of the serviceable pad material remaining.

The rear brakes have 30%, which, considering your past usage, should be good for another 16k miles.

-njjoe
Just thought I'd let you know you're prediction was just about perfect. I brought my MO in for it's 52,750 service and they told me the rears had 2mm left on them.

So, 37,500 + 16,000 = 53,500.

And for the record, I brought it in late so it technically has 53,267.

·
5,244 Posts
ekaxel
you are right rear pads wear out quicker.

mordel,

here what I found with my brakes

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kris said:
ekaxel
you are right rear pads wear out quicker.

That's weird then that I only got 37,500 out of the front and 53,500 out of the rear. We'll have to see how the fronts hold up this time around. They were down to 8mm this visit.

·
5,244 Posts
mordel

I do not trust dealers.....and I do not know why....;)

I posted the above data for all of the board members benefits....

Somehow deep in me, at least from time to time, an engineer takes over...:D

And I am proud of it...:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts