Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those interested, Tire Rack has Akebono (apparently OEM) ceramic brake pads for Murano. Price $62F and $53R. Here is the link: brake pads

I have ordered a set 2 days ago. My Murano has 51k and the rear pads are probably only 3 mm thick.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Kris - have you ever had a car with ceramic pads?
I know the box says less dust, but was wondering how much better?
I realize your really buying performance but how I hate brake dust on my wheels.
I would be more willing to open my wallet for cleaner results as an added benefit.

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Murano has ceramic pads. Apparently from Akebono. So it is direct OEM replacement.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Gonzo said:
How much are the Nissan pads?
performancenissanparts.com sells them for $49 (front) and $38 (rear).

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Nissan actually has two lines of brake pads. The first is their cheaper "key value" pads, which are semi metallic. Then there are the more expensive OEM ones, which are ceramic.

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
njjoe said:

performancenissanparts.com sells them for $49 (front) and $38 (rear).

-njjoe
Are they ceramic? I think Eric is right. For this price they are probably the "key value" ones. I would not put them on the Murano.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
The $99 per axle brake jobs you see in the Nissan dealership flyers sent in the mail are almost always for the key value pads (look for the asterisk).

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Kris said:

Are they ceramic? I think Eric is right. For this price they are probably the "key value" ones. I would not put them on the Murano.
I just sent them an email asking for clarification. I will post their reply upon receipt.

-njjoe

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
more info on Murano pads pricing pads

It does seem that the Akebono pads are top notch and Tire Rack pricing is quite good. But check for yourselve

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
The Akebono ProACT pads are excellent OEM replacements. The only problem I have with them has nothing to do with the pads themselves - Bobby Likis (on the sat radio show Bobby Likis Car Clinic) always recommends them, and I cannot stand the guy. He's always talking down to all his callers and his entire show is a giant advertisement for automotive junk like the Tornado. So whenever I think of Akebono, I think of Bobby Likis and his stupid radio show.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Kris said:

Gentlemen-

According to Anthony Nazzal at Performance Nissan the brake pads listed on their OEM site are the OEM ceramic pads, not the "key value" ones. They sell the front and rear pads for $48.90 and $37.47, respectively.

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Pretty good deal. Do they come with the shims?

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Eric L. said:
Pretty good deal. Do they come with the shims?
Eric-

Sorry, I didn't inquire about the shims. I am assuming these are the same OEM kits you can purchase at your dealership. If the shims are included in your dealer's package, then they probably are included here also. I suggest inquiring prior to ordering, just to be on the safe side.

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
njjoe said:

Eric-

Sorry, I didn't inquire about the shims. I am assuming these are the same OEM kits you can purchase at your dealership. If the shims are included in your dealer's package, then they probably are included here also. I suggest inquiring prior to ordering, just to be on the safe side.

-njjoe
I wasn't asking for me, per se. A lot of aftermarket pads come with shims (like Akebono) but Nissan usually requires the purchase of a separate "front brake hardware kit," which has shims and grease, with their pads.

I am quite happy with my Porterfield brake pads. :p

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Has anyone ordered these?

Also, why are there shoes in the rear kit? I thought shoes were for drum brakes.

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tyler_Canada said:

Also, why are there shoes in the rear kit? I thought shoes were for drum brakes.
Tyler,
Murano has drum brakes at the rear - for emergency/parking brake only!

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Tyler_Canada said:

Tyler_Canada-

The MO's rear brakes are disc.

The parking brake actuates a small drum brake located behind both rear discs.

-njjoe

1 - 20 of 28 Posts