Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 05' Murano.
When coming to a stop I notice at about 20mph the brakes seem to....how do I say this...."glide" or the car feels like it doesn't want to stop for a second or two...almost feels like its being "pushed" from behind I guess is the best way to describe it.
I feel myself having to press a little harder on the brake pedal for a second or two......Does your Murano do this??

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
SoCalMurano said:
I have a 05' Murano.
When coming to a stop I notice at about 20mph the brakes seem to....how do I say this...."glide" or the car feels like it doesn't want to stop for a second or two...almost feels like its being "pushed" from behind I guess is the best way to describe it.
I feel myself having to press a little harder on the brake pedal for a second or two......Does your Murano do this??
Nope.

Try shifting into nuetral to make sure it's not transmission related.

·
5,268 Posts
It is the torque converter disengaging. Nothing you can do about it...

·
Registered
145 Posts
It is normal. Every MO does it. The TC disengages and you feel like the car is accelerating. After a while you don't even notice, you train your foot not to relax the pressure on the pedal until you come to a complete stop. I only notice it if I have driven a different car for a few days.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
After a while you don't even notice

I agree, I think the first week it was whoa, what is that.
I don't even notice anymore.
Bob1

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Yeah I've noticed it as well, and agree its the normal behavior of the torque converter disengaging from lock up.

·
4,664 Posts
Weird, I did not see the word clutch at all!

More specifically, it's the torque converter's clutch, which locks it as a solid unit to reduce losses, that disengages, so you lose the engine braking effect. It's more noticable in S or L, than D, or if you have an newer SE, in a lower "gear".

·
Registered
248 Posts
THANK YOU! This has been bugging me ever since I bought the MO and was thinking for sure that I got a lemon with a CVT that was going out on me. Those surges between 15 and 20 mph as I am coming to a stop or slowing to turn scare the sh*t out of me. I thought I was going to drive right through the front of my house as I slowed to turn into my driveway the other day. It's like "what the hell!??!? A damn gremlin just pushed on the accelerator when I wasn't looking". :)

Thanks again guys. I LOVE having this forum as a resource.

Regs,
Jeff

·
Registered
472 Posts
bob1 said:
After a while you don't even notice

I never have noticed this condition on my 2005 SE. I have even tried to make it happen but I don't see it. My rpms don't ever shoot up when I am slowing down from 25mph to zero. Maybe I don't understand what to look for or how to make it happen.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Interesting, I've never noticed it either. Not sure if it's because I've gotten used to it. This would be alarming as hell in icy conditions though. Is it possible that the SE's with the different transmission 'mapping', or whatever, do not suffer the same symptom in normal 'D' use? I don't use the 'manual' shifting, I think I'll experiment to see if I can induce this by doing so.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Well, I spoke with one of the Nissan garage monkeys yesterday about the issue and he said that "yes, you will feel the CVT downshift as you get around 2nd gear. You won't feel shifting when going UP in gears, but you will feel it when slowing". So that pretty much confirms it in my mind. It's supposed to be there, but it still scares the crap out of me after driving it for 4 months. It doesn't happen when braking with a decent amount of strength... more of the coast/brake type thing like when you are slowing going into a turn. It's like all of a sudden, the engine braking you were enjoying from 60 to 21 mphs just goes bye bye. WHOA! As long as you are aware that it's going to happen, you can compensate, but it sure is surprising when you don't know to expect it.

Regs,
Jeff

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
SliderJeff-

Your "garage monkey" is wrong. What you are experiencing is the lock-up clutch on the torque converter unlocking as the MO decelerates. You are not feeling a "surge", what you are feeling is a decrease in the deceleration rate. The MO is not going faster, it is just not slowing down as fast.

-njjoe

·
Registered
248 Posts
Thanks for the clarification, njjoe!! That's pretty much what I thought was happening from reading here. Exactly the fact that it's not that I'm going faster, but rather that the engine braking has stopped being as engaged as it was from 60+ mph to 21 mph, or thereabouts.

Either way, I'm glad this is a "it's SUPPOSED to do that" issue, rather than a "congratulations, Jeff, you've got another steaming pile of dog doo for a vehicle. Boy, you sure can pick 'em!" problem. :)

Thanks again,
Jeff

1 - 16 of 16 Posts