Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I am new here and I have a question. I just had my Murano (05) serviced today for the first time. I missed the 3700 service...bad Murano owner...I know. But, I did get my 7500 service in. My Murano has 80% front brakes left....20% rear brakes left. My car is less than 6 months old. It has 7700 miles on it. The guy at the dealer said that was normal wear and tear. I shouldn't have to do anything till the rears are down to 5%. Anyone else experience any numbers like that? Is this normal? They did my service in less than 60 minutes. I am hoping they made a mistake? Any helpful advice....ideas...or am I worrying about nothing?I need to go back soon for the fuel shield and seat belt recalls.
Thanks
tiggerwrks

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
tiggerwrks-

At that rate you'll need to replace your rear brakes at 9,625 miles. That is excessive brake wear. I don't think anyone here has had to replace their rear brakes that soon.

However, seeing that your front brakes are wearing at a rate that will give them close to 40,000 miles, I would think the mechanic goofed on his measurements.

When you bring the car in for the recalls, have the shop check the rear brakes again. Hopefully the mechanic was wrong, but if the second inspection confirms the initial finding I would have the brake system inspected.

-njjoe

·
5,244 Posts
Tiggerwrks

I did my brakes last Saturday. I have 53,500 miles on the clock and this was the first time I did the brakes. Actually I replaced only the rear pads, though I believe they would last another 10,000 easy. Just took the opportunity, the wheel were off, and replaced pads, 10 min job. I left front pads on as they were in excellent condition. I am giving them another 50,000 miles.

If you have problems with your brakes after just 7,500 miles you either racing the Murano or have brakes problem. I you answer NO to the first question you know what you need to do…..
;)

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
20% after 7,000 miles is pure :bsflag:. Have them check it again. Take a look yourself. I think you can see the pads... compare the thickness to the front. Usually the fronts wear out faster.

·
5,244 Posts
Gonzo,

actually Murano and FX wear rear pads much faster. Nobody knows why (I guess some of the Nissan gurus might actually know);)

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Most Nissans/Infiniti with electronic brakeforce distribution wear out the rear brakes rather quickly. Less than 10,000 miles is quite excessive though. By my estimates, my rear pads would have probably gone 30 or 35,000 miles. Front ones, a bit longer than that.

My guess is that the dealer is making stuff up to get you to bring it back for service soon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Everyone,
Thanks so much for the info. This felt funny to me too. I had a Toyota Celica forever and the brakes lasted forever. I will definately have the brakes rechecked next week. I'm new to Nissan. Just when I got my Toyota down I have to figure out the Murano. Mechanically, I am challenged. So your posts are very helpful.

P.S.
I'm not racing my Murano around...lol. I commute on CA freeways....low speeds...lol.

·
5,244 Posts
Celica..........it used to be my dream car. A number of years ago it was a car to "race"...;)

NOT RICE...:14:

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
tiggerwrks said:
I'm not racing my Murano around...lol. I commute on CA freeways....low speeds...lol.
In CA right lanes go MUUUUUUUCH faster....Sometimes I can do 70 mph on the right lane when the left lane is stopped......:2:

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Kris said:
Gonzo,

actually Murano and FX wear rear pads much faster. Nobody knows why (I guess some of the Nissan gurus might actually know);)
Oh didn't know that. Now I'm curious what will happen to my brakes.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Eric L. said:
Most Nissans/Infiniti with electronic brakeforce distribution wear out the rear brakes rather quickly. Less than 10,000 miles is quite excessive though. By my estimates, my rear pads would have probably gone 30 or 35,000 miles. Front ones, a bit longer than that.
That and all the dirt thrown up by the front wheels would contribute to wearing out the rears faster. I got about 45,000 miles on my rear pads and expect to get about 90,000 miles on my front pads, and I drive it hard.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Tyler_Canada said:

That and all the dirt thrown up by the front wheels would contribute to wearing out the rears faster. I got about 45,000 miles on my rear pads and expect to get about 90,000 miles on my front pads, and I drive it hard.
Tyler stay on the road and you will not kick up dirt on your rear rotors. :4:

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Gonzo said:
Tyler stay on the road and you will not kick up dirt on your rear rotors. :4:
Hehehe. I almost never go offroading in my Murano.

Do they not use salt and/or sand on your roads in the winter?

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Tyler_Canada said:

Environmental conditions (i.e. road salt, road grit, cinders, etc) have little, if any, impact on the life of your brake pads. Unless, of course, you live in an area that has a problem with excessive diamond dust. :D

-njjoe

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
njjoe said:

Environmental conditions (i.e. road salt, road grit, cinders, etc) have little, if any, impact on the life of your brake pads. Unless, of course, you live in an area that has a problem with excessive diamond dust. :D

-njjoe
Really? I'm surprised.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update on my brakes

Hi Everyone!

I used your info. when I went back to the dealer. I had my brakes rechecked. Turns out the mechanic wrote down 70% were left on my rear brakes and the guy who put everything into the computer read 20% instead of the 70%...so I am okay. Your info. though gave me the confidence to tackle the dealer. At first they weren't listening to me....but when I could say...hey,...I only have 7,500 miles and 20% isn't acceptable...they paid attention. Thank you all for your help!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts