Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i brought my car in for a 15k overhaul...took them over 4 hours to do it. when it was all said and done, the guy told me that i had to change my front and rear brakes, rotors and all. quoted me about 8oo for it all to be done. tell me that someone had it done for waaaay cheaper.

·
Registered
203 Posts
quikkik said:
i brought my car in for a 15k overhaul...took them over 4 hours to do it. when it was all said and done, the guy told me that i had to change my front and rear brakes, rotors and all. quoted me about 8oo for it all to be done. tell me that someone had it done for waaaay cheaper.
Im sure you can go to some no name place to get it done but that sounds about right since you are up north.

Why does your MO need these type of repairs at 15K?

·
5,268 Posts
I iagree with the pricing. But as noted above why so much work at 15k miles? I have almost 80k and only changed rear pads....

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
quikkik-

Unless your MO is being used as a city taxi, it is very unusual to need new brakes after only 15,000 miles. Harder to believe is that they said your rotors also needed to be replaced. Why didn't they just cut them? Something sounds very fishing.

Before you have them do anything ask for the thickness readings on the pads and the rotors. Then have them show you how those reading compare to the manufacturers specs.

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
AND, go to a different shop to have them check the brakes. Don't tell them the dealer said they needed to be replaced, just tell them that you're at your 15k mark and want to check up on them.

Most places will check your brakes for free and tell you how much is left on the pads and the condition of the rotors.

Have you had any PROBLEMS with your brakes? Shudders or anything?

I agree with the others, this should NOT need to be done. Unless you're extremely hard on the brakes, you should be fine. I'm at 37k miles and haven't even come close to needing my pads replaced, let alone anything done to the rotors.

If they ARE actually screwed up, then you need an explanation as to why. Again, if you aren't exceptionally hard on them, then that probably means something else is wrong with the vehicle and is causing your brakes/rotors to go bad. I have no idea what could cause that, but it doesn't seem to me like it could really be your fault.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have actually 23k miles on my MO, and its an o4, so obviously i don't drive it that much. the service tech guy showed me the wear and tear on my rotors and said that most likely b/c of the fact that i didn't drive it so much that it corroded. does that make any sense? he said that it was too deep to resurface and that they would have to change the fronts, but that my rear rotors were still salvageable. i didn't get a reading, only cause i needed to get outta there, and the fact that he was trying to get me to change the rotors, i wanted a fast exit with a nod that i would come back. don't think i will. when i drive the car its fine. i don't notice anything while i'm braking.

·
Registered
203 Posts
quikkik said:
i have actually 23k miles on my MO, and its an o4, so obviously i don't drive it that much. the service tech guy showed me the wear and tear on my rotors and said that most likely b/c of the fact that i didn't drive it so much that it corroded. does that make any sense? he said

Corroded??? That's weird that they would not be able to resurface them, but if you have no problems with braking or vibrations I would leave them alone.

I have 113K on mine and I have the original rotors and my MO stops smoothly.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Just replaced brakes

Rear that is.
Just the pads.
I am vehemently opposed to "turning" the rotors.
Unless there is maybe a deep gouge across the rotor......in which case you would probably be better off w/new rotors.
The new pads will break in to the old rotors very quickly. An argument can be made that a circular score makes for more braking surface.
In any event, I have not had rotors turned in the last 15 years with no problems.

I have 48K on a 2003.

As is the case on most Muranos, the rears wear a little faster than the fronts. Unusual, but true.

Went with Akebono Ceramics.

My mechanic suggested we check the fronts in another 10K or so miles.

Unless you Ride the brakes, I cannot believe they need replacing after 23K miles.
But if you did, my Mechanic would replace all the pads, flush and replace the fluid, road test, rotate the tires, hand torque the wheels, etc for about $350.

But like I said, I don't believe you need this done.

Homer

·
5,268 Posts
I can only concur with Homer. I replaced rear pads only at 50k miles also with Akebono ceramic. They work great.

Here are measurements I took a few thousands miles ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
400 Posts
As everyone else stated, you shouldn't need new brake rotors or pads at this point. I have 42K and I'm still on the original rotors and pads.

If (for some reason) the dealer is insisting that you need new rotors and pads, then I would tell them that this should be done under warranty since it's obvious that the pads and rotors were defective if they need to be replaced so soon.

IMHO, this dealer is gouging you with "upsell" service.

Bob

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
quikkik-

Find another dealer. Plain and simple.

Your dealer is making things up in order to make money. Your rotors do NOT need to be replaced because they are "corroded" due to lack of use.

Because your dealer lied about the brakes I would not trust him to do any type of non-warranty work.

-njjoe

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok...yeah i got an ill feeling about the whole thing. got an ill feeling when they gave me my bill. wasn't comfortable with the fact that he was pressuring me to do it , i didn't like it. yea...won't touch em. thanks guys.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
quikkik-

What is the name of the dealer, so other members can avoid him?

-njjoe

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
quikkik-

There is a "dealer rating" section in this forum where you can rate and post comments on your Nissan dealer. I think it would be helpful to other members in your area if you rated Star Nissan. Just a thought...

-njjoe

·
Registered
275 Posts
Rotors are simple to install. I will probably replace mine once I get near 50k miles. I got mine for my Maxima on the Maxima forums.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=396095

You might want to see if they have anything for the Murano. He carries a variety of rotors...

Buy them online and take them to a shop to install.

·
Registered
146 Posts
15,000 miles? Ain't no way they should need replacing...I know Nissan had a recall on Titan rotors, could they also have supplied a bad batch to the Murano?

Sounds like a call to Nissan is in order...they've always taken care of me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Re: Just replaced brakes

hfelknor said:

As is the case on most Muranos, the rears wear a little faster than the fronts. Unusual, but true.

Homer
Is that something particular to the MO ? All the cars I've had the fronts always wear out much faster than rears due to the front carrying most of the braking weight. Any idea why that is on the MO ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2019 Murano SL with 15,000 miles and the rotors need replacing already. Only warranted for 11,000 miles. This car is mostly highway driven. The dealership said it was due to excessive braking at highway speeds. I think the rotors are crap to begin with. Will be replacing them with a higher quality part myself. Love the car, hate the cheap rotors

1 - 20 of 26 Posts