Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have a 2003 SE AWD and I need to do a front and rear brake service. Does anyone out there have a service manual for this model that is able/willing to send me copies of a few pages out of the brake section? I need to replace 4 sets of pads,front rotors and remove the rears to have them turned.
Thanks tons in advance if you can help me out.
Todd

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Do a search here.... I forget who but someone made a great post for brake work. Lots of photographs.

·
5,244 Posts
It was Eric. Here is the link: brakes

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
tenspeedpete-

Eric L. put together a great step-by-step procedure with color photos. It's much more helpful than the service manual.

-njjoe

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brake Service Info

Thanks guys for the heads up on Eric's great documentation on pad replacement which contained some useful info, but I also need some details on removing the rotors. I need to replace the fronts and have the rears turned. If any of you can help me out with this, I'll be forever in your debt!!
Thanks for the help,
Todd

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Yep, and they're very inexpensive.....that is why I always wondered why the dealer wanted to turn them...the labor/tool cost more than the rotor.

·
Registered
155 Posts
SFront axle just pull wheel and caliper and rotor slides off. Same with rear axle. Also Manual says to mark rotor and hub on fronts and rears before sliding them off.
Hmm, I just did my rears(with AWD) and it was a bit more than just sliding them off.... The rear rotors are unique in that they also incorporate a set of brake shoes and drums for the parking brake...
There is a hole with a rubber plug in the rotor that you remove with a screwdriver. It covers a pair of adjustment screws in the emergency brake gear underneath,mounted on the backing plate. You may need to back off the emergency brake shoes to slide off the rotor for turning.
The AWD also has a large nut in the center holding everything on. You'll need sockets up to 19 mm for the job, and a much bigger one for the big nut in the middle (I forget what size, but a socket from my cheapo 3/4" drive set worked).
There is also a suspension arm on the forward side that is in the way. I found it easier to pop off this arm on initial disassembly, then reinstall at the end.

Overall, not that difficult for the average backyard mechanic.

It was interesting (to me anyway) that my back brakes were at 5% after 37Kmiles, yet the front pads have about 50% remaining. It is the opposite of my experience with other vehicles.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
bruno said:

Hmm, I just did my rears(with AWD) and it was a bit more than just sliding them off.... The rear rotors are unique in that they also incorporate a set of brake shoes and drums for the parking brake...
There is a hole with a rubber plug in the rotor that you remove with a screwdriver. It covers a pair of adjustment screws in the emergency brake gear underneath,mounted on the backing plate. You may need to back off the emergency brake shoes to slide off the rotor for turning.
The AWD also has a large nut in the center holding everything on. You'll need sockets up to 19 mm for the job, and a much bigger one for the big nut in the middle (I forget what size, but a socket from my cheapo 3/4" drive set worked).
There is also a suspension arm on the forward side that is in the way. I found it easier to pop off this arm on initial disassembly, then reinstall at the end.

Overall, not that difficult for the average backyard mechanic.

It was interesting (to me anyway) that my back brakes were at 5% after 37Kmiles, yet the front pads have about 50% remaining. It is the opposite of my experience with other vehicles.
The rear bias is not unusual for Nissans (and Infinitis) that have Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBD).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts