Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I did a search and also read through the two stickies for replacing brake pads (a huge help BTW) and didn't see any mention of this. I put new pads on one rear tire, using the shim that came with the new pads. Once I got the wheel back on, I pulled the old shim off the used pad and there was another shim underneath that had slots or vents if you will. Do I need to use two shims or is the one that came with the part good enough. I would hate to have to pull the wheel to put the shim in. Looking through the stickies, I didn't see where the authors used two shims. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Just use one shim per pad. Remove or reuse the old shims depending on the pads you get. Some new pads comes with shims some don't. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
8,290 Posts
And check the instructions that come with the pads.

In general, it's a good idea to do one side at a time so you can use the other side for a visual reference if you need it. but in this case, I don't know that it would help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately, the instructions were pretty sparse but the job is done! Did a test drive and it seems to stop a little better with the Akebono pro pads on there. Nothing left to do but sips some suds and rest these old bones. It has been probably 30 years since I did a brake job. I think the last one was shoes on the back. :eek: Thanks for the help and tutorials everyone!:D:7:

·
Registered
8 Posts
No expert here, but it's worth noting that the guy put on new brake pads that already had shims attached to them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts