Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thoughts on why 2015 Murano would have brake squeal in reverse only? I did a search on this and it appears to be rather common, especially with Nissans. Not really finding reasons why. I think it's coming from the front, need to verify that. But here's the deal.... I recently changed out the pads (went aftermarket pads) because the dealership said it needed it and it was squealing in reverse. Since I've changed out the pads, both front and rear, it's even worse. No squeal with forward braking. In fact, the brakes feel pretty good but that squeal is not only embarrassing but very unnerving. BTW, the OEM pads were really not that bad. Wear on rear pads was greater than front but still had some more miles on them. Car has 115k on it and rotors look very good.

·
Super Moderator
8,219 Posts
What did you treat the back of the pads with? That pad treatment material is the key factor in brake squeal.

There are some pad treatments that are supposed to sit for 15-20 minutes after application before they're installed. i messed that up on my daughter's Mini and she had a brake squeal problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a good point and one I've thought about. I used the same stuff that I lubed the caliper slide pins with, Sil-Glyde Brake Lubricant. Probably should have used a brake grease. The service manual dictates three different lubricants. Another thought was the aftermarket ceramic pads I chose would not allow the transfer of the shims that were on the OEM brakes. They just would not fit. I'm wondering if that may be the culprit too. Common sense dictates that Nissan does not spend hundreds of thousands of dollars making parts that they don't need to put on their vehicles. Thinking I may just order the OEM front pads and transfer the hardware I pulled off the OEM units. Interesting is that the OEM pads do not appear to come with this stuff. It appears that is an extra cost at $60 per side.

Front Brakes for 2015 Nissan Murano | Nissan Part Pros

·
Super Moderator
8,219 Posts
I would bet it's a combination of the shims and the back of the pad treatment. I agree with you about the shims, and I'm fairly sure they're part of the squeal prevention strategy.

Odd that the shims wouldn't go. Every pad treatment for passenger cars ought to accommodate the shims. You might want to talk with the supplier about that. I'm wondering if they're a racing application or a slightly incorrect pad.

The place I buy brake parts (ECStuning, formerly Bavauto) provides a reddish thick brake paste with pads. Good stuff, but it takes a few minutes to set up before installation.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would bet it's a combination of the shims and the back of the pad treatment. I agree with you about the shims, and I'm fairly sure they're part of the squeal prevention strategy.
I suspect you're correct. I'll probably address both at the same time so probably won't be able to know exactly what the fix was. I'll respond as to how it worked out. It appears that this is not an uncommon problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts