Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm driving an 04 MO SL AWD... just clicked over 16K miles and brought it in for oil change/service and questioned a shaking/vibration of the steering wheel on harder breaking. The tech told me my brakes are 65%worn. I drove an 02 Maxima and changed the brakes at around 24Kmiles... I don't brake hard regularly, but if/when I do, the front end of the car seems to basically.... rumble (vibrate, shake, slight grinding noise).. Is this similar to the brakes issues with the G35? Anyone have or know of similar situations?

Also, CD unit/radio (Bose) is being replace next week for the 3rd time? How many, if any replacements have u had done?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Seems like you don't do well with Nissan brakes.
60% at 16 K will give you about 24K total just like you got on the Maxima.

The shaking and vibrating is caused by warped rotors.
Normally I would say that the record indictates that you are a hard braker, but in reality the brakes on the Murano seem to warp much easier than any other car.

I had my Disc Player replaced once.
The radio is a Clarion not a Bose.
The speakers are Bose Engineered.

Homer

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah.. def seems to be something w/ me and Nissan Brakes...

I know it seems like I put the brakes through a lot, but 70-80% of my miles are highway driving btw NY and Boston, not a lot of hard braking involved... In fact many of the drives involve setting cruise control at 65-70 for long periods of time... I just can't believe I have to replace the brakes real soon, got my MO last July 12!!

Is the rotor warping at all covered by the warranty, or extended warranty?

Thanks for the clarification on the Radio too, I'm def not on par with many here on the forums and their knowledge of the vehicle.

While I"m learning, anyone have any warning signs to look out for when it comes to the Alternator issues or any suggestions for things that I might've missed that could/should be covered under warranty??

Thx again for all the help

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Shouldn't need to replace your pads if they're only 65% worn. That doesn't mean that you only have 35% of your braking power, it just means that they only have 35% of their life left.

And it might be good to do some research on "warped rotors". The best description I have heard of this is really brake pad deposit buildups on the rotors. NOT actualy being warped, but the surface being inconsistent.

If your rotors get hot, and you stop completely but don't release the brakes, the pads can leave a print on the rotor. Do this enough, and it builds up enough deposits that the surface is uneven. This causes the shudder, as well as wearing down brake pads faster.

Several write-ups on the web about this, but I'm too lazy to track any good ones down right now. Essentially I always try to release the brake once I've stopped, especially after braking hard or going down a long/steep hill where the rotors might have heated up significantly. You don't have to brake hard to have this happen. A long steady brake can do it as well.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Over 36k miles, and haven't replaced brakes yet. The front ones squeak (and have for over a year due to 'wear and high temps'). Every time I take it in they check but let me know everything is fine.

At 36k took it for alignment and requested brake check (not at the dealer)... Still have 50% up front and down to 35% in the back. They suggested to bring it back in 6k miles so they could recheck.

As for my Bose system, no problems. The only thing I notice is that my aftermarket XM system plays softer than CD's or the regular radio, so I always have to watch the volume switching back and forth between the two.

Lil' Bit

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm on my third replacement radio here.....alternator shot, and something with my emergency brake squeaking that was replaced........Other than that its a love hate relationship here......I just hope that three replacements speaks for me when I pass 36000....about 26000 miles on him now....Bose premium sound..my butt...

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
I, like many here, had the brake judder TSB done and they even covered it at 37k! I noticed it on the test drive, but didn't think that it was going to be as annoying as it turned out to be. No disrespect meant, but I can't imagine at 46 miles on the car that it was due to brake buildup on the rotors.

Once they resurfaced EDIT: turned and resurfaced the rotors according to the TSB, braking has been smooth as a baby's bottom. Before then, I would let go of the wheel in fear of spraining a finger or thumb.

I also had my head unit changed out.. well, actually just the CD player as it would skip horribly during the first hour of my commute during the winter -- back when the fuel door would freeze and the TPMS light started showing up. iPod and Sirius fixed that! (just kidding, the swapout fixed the CD problem right away)

·
Registered
842 Posts
I just replaced my brake pads on all for wheels at 71000Kms and found that I had probably 40% left on the front and 30% left on the rear. The OEM shoes cost $130 fro the front and the same for the back. I got precision shoes from autopar so will see how long these last.

The brake material on the OEM shoes is more of a composite vs. what you would normally see. It will be interesting to see how the new shoes wear especially when I tow my trailer.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I've had no issues with the Radio but I have had issues with bake vibration. Just after getting the car there was a vibration when braking, they turned the rotors. That held for about 9-12 months then I brought it in and they applied a TSB for this and put on new front pad. That was about 4 months ago and so far its been good.

I am not a hard braker. On my last car I got 100,000 on the front pads! The mechanic couldn't believe it when I told him they were the oringal pads. That was also a Nissan.

I was getting a squeak when leaving first drive of the day for a couple hundred feet but that stopped about a year ago.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I am pretty hard on the brakes and when I swapped my pads for Porterfields at 24,000 miles, the stock pads had around 50% remaining. I swapped pads mainly because the stockers were squealing loudly - yeah I know it was because the shim grease dried up, but it requires pad removal anyways to regrease them, and I figured why not install a performance oriented pad as well. ;)

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Eric L.-

I am amazed by the lack of brake dust on the wheels of my MO. I attribute this to the OEM ceramic brakes. (I didn't even know the MO had ceramics until I joined this forum.)

I know the Porterfields help the MO stop better, especially after repeated stops, but how do the Porterfields compare as far as dust residue is concerned?

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
The Porterfields dust more. However, I find the performance trade off acceptable.

For most people, the OEM brakes are fine. I just like the very firm feel of the Porterfields.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts