1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
The Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
Thanks, looks great!! I know when I had to replace the trans in my Jimmy it cost me 3 big ones! For a truck with over 107k miles on it.. what a waste..

You're right, though, in that it may very well be a good idea to keep it around just in case. A few failed units aside, I just get the feeling this trans will outlast just about everything else on the car. It'll get interesting as we start to approach 100k miles. 60k to go for me.

·
The Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tranny

Mine only has 2.5K on it :)
And 75k bumper to bumper :2:

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
That is a good price for a new tranny. Almost worth buying and keeping it as spare. But better make sure if it is made for US cars. In my past experience as an auto wrecker who also sold "used low mileage Honda, Toyota, Nissan, and Subaru take out transmissions imported from Japan" we had to R&R the bell housing on just about all of them to make them fit the bolt pattern on the US engine blocks.

·
The Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tranny

He lists part #, check with the dealer if you have doubts

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I cant imagine (or justify) buying a 30K+ vehicle and then going out and buying a spare transmission for it.

·
The Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tranny

Can you justify paying $3-5k for it's replacement when it dies on you after your warranty is over ?!

:2:

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
If you follow that logic, maybe you need a spare engine, rear differential, and too many others to name.

·
The Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tranny

The thing is that automatic tranny is the only Expensive part that fails more often then anything else.
+ it was just a suggestion if somebody wanted it ;)

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
That may be, but I've never been stranded 1,000 miles from home with a car full of my family's stuff and an engine or rear differential needing to be replaced for $3,000. Transmission? Absolutely. Anything else? Nope. Granted I'm sure it would sit for a LONG time before I needed it (which may be a bad thing in and of itself), but after 100k miles and my Gold warranty expires, I might consider throwing it in the back, or just storing it at Mom's in Florida where I was the last time I got burned by a trans giving up the ghost.

There were no signs of it going, either. After a few days down there, the rpms started to slip and ride up, until finally the car wouldn't move while in gear. The engine would just rev. $3,000 later, I drove home with the check engine light on all the way. Next day, got an oil change and they said my trans was leaking all over the place. It was just draining. I replied, "its a good thing I had a GM dealer put it in, check the computer. its under warranty." It was and they repaired or replaced it for $0. Bought my Xterra a few days later.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
CVT is one of the few but expensive "non-tested" parts on the Murano. Personally, I have a 100k warranty and chances are if there are any faults with this tranny, I will replace it way before the warranty runs out. If my tranny gives after the warranty, I bet there will be plenty of cheap low mileage used trannys I could get for it then. If I did not have the warranty, if I had the extra cash, I would seriously consider buying this new tranny at this low price. Worst case scenario, I could sell it back on e-bay!

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Like I said, if I had that kind of worry, I would have bought something else......

·
Registered
746 Posts
Guys, then I guess that the best thing is to kill it just before the end of the warranty. I wonder how long the CVT would last with a nightmare scenario like this: Go full speed in reverse and slam it in D with full throttle. A couple of times with the reverse scenario mixed in. Should have a dead tranny soon enough! :D

They're replacing mine with a new one as I write this. It didn't fail but it was a little noisy since I got the MO in May so Nissan decided to put in a brand new one after 14K km.

Should make the MO last 6 months longer... :)

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
The advantage of buying an alternator against the possibility that it may go out is that you might have it with you at Moose Sweat, Minnesota when the thing let go.

But if you are in downtown Moose Sweat when your tranny goes, where is the tranny? Back home in Paradise Falls, Maryland?
What good is that?

And IMO, there have been many more alternators go bad than Trannys.

I'm just gonna take my chances.

But if it gets to the point where I do not have any confidence in the Murano, I will trade it on something that I do trust.

Right now, I'd take it anywhere.:1:

Homer

1 - 15 of 15 Posts