Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(I checked all the tint questions and there is only brief mention of "Lumar" or "Lumilor". The threads tend to go off into a discussion of legal issues and degree of tint. Example: http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2990&highlight=window+tint)

---------------------------------------

Apparently, there is an issue with front windows matching rear windows.

What are the specific brands of tint that you have had a successful result with?

Thanks!

·
Registered
631 Posts
PaulQ said:
(I checked all the tint questions and there is only brief mention of "Lumar" or "Lumilor". The threads tend to go off into a discussion of legal issues and degree of tint. Example: http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2990&highlight=window+tint)

---------------------------------------

Apparently, there is an issue with front windows matching rear windows.

What are the specific brands of tint that you have had a successful result with?

Thanks!
Lumar and 3M both produce premium-quality tint film. As they tend to vary slightly in color, I've found that the 15% "smoke" variations seem to match quite well with the factory tint. "Onyx" or "deep black" colored films tend to be too black and don't match the rear windows as well. You could also go 20%, you won't notice much difference.

Just make sure you get a good quality film, that's the most imporant thing. Metalized tints last a LOT longer and don't fade or turn purple like cheap tint. Also, a high-quality film almost always means you're getting a better glue as well... so bubbling and peeling are less of a concern.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Special! Good info!

I am nervous about doing this to my MO, unlike any other car I have owned.

·
Registered
631 Posts
PaulQ said:
Thanks Special! Good info!

I am nervous about doing this to my MO, unlike any other car I have owned.
Why nervous?

If you plan on doing it yourself, it's not *hard*, just messy and a tad tedious. You just need to be careful about your application methods. Personally, I prefer just to find a shop who'll do it as dark as you want and let the "pros" (I use that term loosely...) do it. It usually only costs a few dollars more than buying the film from them and doing it yourself.

I think I've "grown out" of my super-dark windows phase.. not sure why, I just don't see the fun in it that I used to. My other car is just TOO dark -- it's dangerous to drive it at night with a tinted windshield! With the MO I'm going for a nice, clean, sharp look. Matching the front windows to the rears should give it a nice balance and look, and with 15% or 20% film, I'm not letting in THAT much more heat than if I had 5% limo. No more windshield tinting for me... a good quality sunshade will do the trick while she's parked. :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't understand windshield tinting. I mean I understand the basic reasoning but it just doesn't seem like a good idea to obstruct the window that provides most of your primary driving information.

Oh trust me, I am hiring someone. But you know how it is, the industry isn't exactly standardized and there are no "certified" tinters". I guess I can just pull the tint off in the worst case.

Apparently you have to be careful about rear window defrost wires too.

Based on your info, I'll go ahead with it. I'll ask ther guy if he can toss you a referral fee. :cool:

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
Us folks in AZ and NV need all the tint we can get. :D

·
Registered
631 Posts
PaulQ said:
I don't understand windshield tinting. I mean I understand the basic reasoning but it just doesn't seem like a good idea to obstruct the window that provides most of your primary driving information.
Well, I did it because it was "cool" and I was stuck in a too old to be young but wouldn't accept the fact i was getting older stage, and still wanted to be cool. Hehehe.... most of the time it wasn't a huge problem, actually made day driving nice because it cut the glare out of the sunlight and such. At night, it was kind of nice sometimes because it would cut the oncoming headlights to a reasonable level, but in low-light situations or bad weather.. man... it was a nightmare.

Oh trust me, I am hiring someone. But you know how it is, the industry isn't exactly standardized and there are no "certified" tinters". I guess I can just pull the tint off in the worst case.
Yeah, that's why I used the term "pro" loosely. :) But, at the very least, I figure anyone that works as a tinter has had some training and more experience doing it than I have...

Apparently you have to be careful about rear window defrost wires too.
Yes, again, a high-quality film with good glue and a "professional" installation are the best defense against bubbling and peeling. However, with the rear window already factory tinted, and it's between the panes of glass rather than on the surface, that's not an issue with the MO.

Enjoy. :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh... are you saying you had no tint applied to the rear window? If so, does that look right when you tint the other four?

·
Registered
631 Posts
PaulQ said:
Nice. That will probably make it cheaper! :2:
I was quoted $75 for both front windows by TrimLine, but they would only go to 35% (legal limit).

I was quoted $60 for both front windows by another local shop.

Just FYI, so you have some numbers to compare to.

/dangling participle

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. I got a quote of $160 for 5 windows and done at my home or work. Based on what you've stated, it seems in line.

Another question...

Did you put the 20% film on top of all the windows? Did that change the back windows? Errr... I mean, does that make all the windows the same despite the fact that the rear are already tinted darker??

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Making the request..

Ok here is what I think will be my last question...

AZ law says 33% of visble light must pass through the window.

Does this mean I can only legally apply a film that is rated 33%? And if I do so over the existing tint, will it compound to a lower number?

(there is no restriction on side windows, 10% on rear)

:17:

·
Registered
631 Posts
PaulQ said:
Thanks. I got a quote of $160 for 5 windows and done at my home or work. Based on what you've stated, it seems in line.

Another question...

Did you put the 20% film on top of all the windows? Did that change the back windows? Errr... I mean, does that make all the windows the same despite the fact that the rear are already tinted darker??
No... only the front two windows, otherwise it won't match. If you put the same film on all 5 windows, then the rear door and rear windows will still be darker than the fronts.

If you REALLY want all 5 windows to be darker, and the same, you'll have to do some calculations and apply the proper film to the rear windows to match the darkness of the fronts.

I find the factory darkness on the rears is fine and I didn't feel there was a need to make them any darker...

·
Registered
631 Posts
Re: Making the request..

PaulQ said:
Ok here is what I think will be my last question...

AZ law says 33% of visble light must pass through the window.

Does this mean I can only legally apply a film that is rated 33%? And if I do so over the existing tint, will it compound to a lower number?

(there is no restriction on side windows, 10% on rear)

:17:
If you put 33% (actually it will be 35% because I've never seen 33% film, only 35%) on the already tinted windows, then yes, it will compound to a darker effective level. We had this discussion in another thread, actually, if you wanna search for it...

I think the ultimate question here is what are you trying to accomplish? Do you want the absolute darkest windows you can legally get away with for all 5 windows? Do you want all the windows to match?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did read a thread with some calculations related to compounding tint. I think I need to read it again to see if I can figure it out.

I should have said this at the beginning... My goal is all 5 windows tinted BUT the front-side windows lighter than the rear 3. Basically, I want a darker version of what the car came with.

I am not really satisfied with the rear tint.

I don't really want blacked out windows at all. I think that would compromise night driving. Plus I am too old to have a pimp daddy car.

I think I may have confused things when I said "match" - I meant in terms of color and quality, not degree.

Does that make sense?

·
5,100 Posts
You mean, we don't get to call you "Pimp Daddy" Ah Schucks! :D

·
Registered
631 Posts
PaulQ said:
I did read a thread with some calculations related to compounding tint. I think I need to read it again to see if I can figure it out.

I should have said this at the beginning... My goal is all 5 windows tinted BUT the front-side windows lighter than the rear 3. Basically, I want a darker version of what the car came with.

I am not really satisfied with the rear tint.

I don't really want blacked out windows at all. I think that would compromise night driving. Plus I am too old to have a pimp daddy car.

I think I may have confused things when I said "match" - I meant in terms of color and quality, not degree.

Does that make sense?
Ok... let's see here.

I've heard that the factory windows are 15%, and I've heard they are 20%. I don't think I've seen an actual definitive answer to this yet, so we'll just use 20% for the sake of explanation.

If you start with 20% and add another layer of say, 35% film to it, you will end up with 35% of 20%, which is approximately 10% (actually it comes out to 7%). If you have 15% factory and add 35% you come out with about 5.5%. 15% + 15% come out to 2.5%, now THAT'S dark.

You can only do 35% (or 33% if you can find film in that rating) if you want to stay legal on your front windows. Your rear window, if it has to stay above 10%, then you can only add 50% if the factory is 20% because that will net 10%. If the factory is 15% then you can only add 65%, as that come out to 9.75%. There's wiggle room in there, no one's going to know if your rear window is 9.75% or 10%. :)

I would suggest maybe adding 65% or 50% to all 3 rear windows, and put the 35% on the fronts and keep them legal... that way your backs are dark but not "blacked out". Of course, it's your MO, do it however you want! :)

·
5,100 Posts
Let me try and reduce it down a bit.

The percentage number of the tint is the amount of light that gets thru the tint.

Therefore the total that gets thru is simply found by mutiplying the mumbers.

Example 35% is .35 and 20% is .2

So, .35 times .2 is .07 or 7% of the light will get thru the tint. DARK!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts