Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, this is not a thread about some problem I had during break-in.

It's more about the fact that I'm at 700mi, driving the car nice and easy under 3k rpm, and every time I look down at that tach there's that amazing 6.8K redline mark just staring back at me, taunting me. I hear it's little voice in my head saying "Hey, look at me! You think the accelleration is decent at 2k? I've got another 5K here for ya... just waiting to be tapped.... Mmmmm 240 hp. But don't do it yet.. you still got another 500mi to go sucker."

So that's it. I'm happy with the performance while keeping it under 3k, but can only dream what it's like to really open it up.
One day... one day....

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
That's so funny. That's exactly what I did. I had a 77 mi highway commute when I bought mine, and the book says to avoid consistent speeds during break-in -- no matter of high speeds or low, just don't set the cruise for instance -- so I had to stay off the NJ Tpk and take Route 1 down from Jersey City to Pennsylvania. Luckily, PA has some beautiful country roads to tour which we did on the weekends. I bought in April, right in the middle of Spring, so that made it that much more enjoyable. Those 1,200 miles flew right on by!

I was originally going to chime in and say that I think the engine is limited by the computer to not let you redline anyway. Remember, our throttle is fly-by-wire, so every thing we do with the gas pedal is actually submitting a request to a computer somewhere. I just hope its not running Windows!!

<rimshot>

And Homer, I'm still shaking my head that we have fly-by-wire throttles and batteries that require maintenance.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I always thought it was keep the RPMs under 4000 during breakin. In D, its pretty hard to get the revs that high anyways in normal driving (unless you floor it).

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
The 4k rpm limit may have also been mentioned, but I'm quite certain about the continuously variable speeds. I'm told it has to do with the way the engine gets settled in, and if it just hums along at a constant rate for hours, it won't ever get out of the 12mpg stage. So don't fly to Florida to buy a Murano expecting to drive it home to California!

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Yes variable speed is also imporant - you can probably shift in between D and Ds on the highway to change your engine speed if traffic forces you to maintain a certain vehicle speed.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I read the part about the constant speed also. I made sure to vary my speed - lots :)

Everyone seems to have their opinion of what's best. I followed the manufacturer's recommendation. Just seems best.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Yea I varied it a lot too... I did us Ds and purosely came close to the 3K mark but did not reach it. I think its best to try to drive it at all ranges you the car is capable without exceeding any break in limitations. Heck even when under 20 MPH I put it into 4WD.

·
Registered
470 Posts
How does putting the car in AWD under 20 mph influence the the engine RPM's ?

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Right it does nothing to RPM... you don't even notice anything when you flip the switch but I'm thinking during the break-in period perhaps the extra bit of effort to drive all 4 might be worth something.... OK maybe not... I just liked playing with the switch.:2:

·
Registered
31 Posts
we babied my girls MO..until 4500 miles (occasionally reving to 4.5 or 5k rpm)...changed with dino oil @1500 miles...and Mob1 @6k miles... 7.5k miles now and I race it up to 5k rpm at least once (per driving session) with the manu-matic...alls I can say is Nissan knows how to build a V-6...I love the VQ in my Z...and a cannot believe how smooth and powerful it is "detuned" in the MO...whole point...break in right...then wail away at it

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have arrived.

Hit the magic number this past weekend. A trip down to AC helped. :D
So yesterday I finally had the opportunity to explore some of the higher revs and all I can say is "OMG". I am utterly amazed at the performance. This car, hands down, drives better than my V6 honda accord. Also discovered that it has a turbo boost switch. It was labeled "Ds"

I am so happy I got this car.

:2: :2: :2: :2: :2: :2:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts