Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to the 2006 Murano brochure:

"It works like this: AWD is on every time you start the vehicle, for maximum traction. However, if road conditions don't warrant AWD, the system switches back to front-wheel drive. But, say road conditions worsen. The system switches into AWD in a tenth of a second."

"You can even lock in AWD, a definite advantage at lower speeds, by simply pressing the AWD lock button."

The above statement makes it sound like AWD is engaged from the start. I always thought it was just the opposite. I thought it started out in FWD and only switched to AWD when conditions warranted.

Is this a case where the Marketing staff is working off a different page from the Engineering team? Not like that's never happened before.

-njjoe

·
My MO's faster than yours
419 Posts
njjoe said:
According to the 2006 Murano brochure:

"It works like this: AWD is on every time you start the vehicle, for maximum traction. However, if road conditions don't warrant AWD, the system switches back to front-wheel drive. But, say road conditions worsen. The system switches into AWD in a tenth of a second."

"You can even lock in AWD, a definite advantage at lower speeds, by simply pressing the AWD lock button."

The above statement makes it sound like AWD is engaged from the start. I always thought it was just the opposite. I thought it started out in FWD and only switched to AWD when conditions warranted.

Is this a case where the Marketing staff is working off a different page from the Engineering team? Not like that's never happened before.

-njjoe

I think that means when you first start...as in when take off and start from a complete stop the AWD is on for max. trac.

Once you get going awd disengages and it reverts to fwd. Its similar to the Acura MDX AWD. Or the reverse of the FX35/45 AWD system.

Which is why its hard to make the front tires squeal from a start. Right?

·
4,601 Posts
The Murano's AWD is always enabled and dynamically senses the need for AWD traction from a start. If it's required, the AWD is engaged to allow it's enabled state to be applied to the drivetrain.

(I'm trying to see if I can get in to marketing, because I need to put my feet up on a desk, and stand around drinking coffee, more often.)

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jaak said:
The Murano's AWD is always enabled and dynamically senses the need for AWD traction from a start. If it's required, the AWD is engaged to allow it's enabled state to be applied to the drivetrain.

(I'm trying to see if I can get in to marketing, because I need to put my feet up on a desk, and stand around drinking coffee, more often.)
Jaak-

I agree with your statement. However, according to what is written in the brochure, it looks the Sales and Marketing gurus are claiming that AWD is engaged right from the start and reverts to FWD if traction is adequate.

Do they know something we don't, or are they simply misleading us?

-njjoe

·
Registered
485 Posts
Sounds like pure marketing to me. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MightyMo said:
Sounds like pure marketing to me. :rolleyes:
Yeah, that's what I thought.

I also like when they say "You can even lock in AWD, a definite advantage at lower speeds". They neglect to say the "lower speeds" are actually low, low speeds, like anything less than the jogger running next to your car!

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
The AWD on the MO (called "all mode 4WD" outside of North America) behaves like we have all understood it for three years now. FWD until slippage, than dynamic AWD up to a 50/50 split. I suppose the marketing dept can spin this into saying "AWD is on at all times" which I suppose is technically true, since the AWD sensors and system is active all the time, just not the division of drive power. On the MO you will not get AWD when starting off unless you have AWD Lock switched on.

The ATTESA E-TS AWD system in the FX, G35, and M35 is more advanced. They are a rear biased AWD, but in fact, all four wheels are driven when starting from a stop, I believe its a 30/70 FR bias or something similar. If slippage is not detected, the system will default to 100% RWD. If slippage is detected, it will dynamically allocate power up to a 50/50 split. This is a very clever arrangement I wish the Murano had (even if it defaults to FWD afterwards).

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Eric-

Yeah, I too wish Nissan had given the Murano a more dynamic or effective AWD system. I don't expect it to have the ruggedness of my Jeep GC, but I would have preferred at least something that was robust and sophisticated enough to be a true full-time AWD, like the ATTESA system you referenced.

-njjoe

·
4,601 Posts
njjoe said:

Jaak-

I agree with your statement. However, according to what is written in the brochure, it looks the Sales and Marketing gurus are claiming that AWD is engaged right from the start and reverts to FWD if traction is adequate.

Do they know something we don't, or are they simply misleading us?

-njjoe
I was actually making a joke. The truth? The marketing people screwed up. You want AWD on from the start, you push the button.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jaak said:

I was actually making a joke. The truth? The marketing people screwed up. You want AWD on from the start, you push the button.
Jaak-

You got me on that one. :bonk:

I saw the post was from "jaak", so I knew it had to be credible, and I just skimmed over it. Now I know better. :1pat:

We'll know if Nissan browses this forum if we see your "enabled" AWD explanation quoted in a upcoming Murano advertisement. :D

-njjoe

·
Registered
485 Posts
Well, it is "enabled" all the time, in comparison to the "part time" system in the XTerra and lower model Pathfinders.

However, it certainly isn't "enabled" all the time in the same way it is on a Subaru or the LE Pathfinder.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts