Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cars rely too much on a well charged good battery to work properly. I would buy a new battery instead of trying any type of fix even if possible. Not worth it. I use the best batteries, tires and brakes possible.
I meant it’s the harness connector that came off, nothing was wrong with the battery. I was thinking of soldering it back but not sure if that would be stable. Or can I buy a new connector somewhere and attach it to the wire again, cause they look like a whole, instead of separate parts?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wouldn't try soldering it back together. The remnants of that ring terminal look awful and you'll need to trim the cable that it came from down a bit since there's likely missing wires and probably corrosion. They do sell butt connectors (uninsulated) for heavy gauge wiring so what I would suggest is taking a section of wire to an auto parts store and size it up with an appropriate battery cable with ring terminal. Then you can cut the new battery cable to size, strip back some insulation and crimp it to the wire on the engine room harness and bend the ring terminal 90 degrees like the original. You will need special crimpers for battery lugs and heavy gauge wiring, which can be bought on Amazon (and maybe auto parts store?). You should also insulate the repair with shrink tubing or something.
Thanks a lot! Not knowing the terminologies for these parts made it impossible for me to research. Your post is super helpful.

If the remaining cable is too short and you don't want to replace the whole cable, there are in-line splice kits you can buy which allows you to add a few inches of cable with a proper connector. Soldering a cable of this gauge is not easy.
Something like this may work:
I saw there was probably some room to pull the cable up to a higher spot. Hopefully I won't need to splice it. But If I do, I'll definitely follow your suggestion. Thanks!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wouldn't try soldering it back together. The remnants of that ring terminal look awful and you'll need to trim the cable that it came from down a bit since there's likely missing wires and probably corrosion. They do sell butt connectors (uninsulated) for heavy gauge wiring so what I would suggest is taking a section of wire to an auto parts store and size it up with an appropriate battery cable with ring terminal. Then you can cut the new battery cable to size, strip back some insulation and crimp it to the wire on the engine room harness and bend the ring terminal 90 degrees like the original. You will need special crimpers for battery lugs and heavy gauge wiring, which can be bought on Amazon (and maybe auto parts store?). You should also insulate the repair with shrink tubing or something.
I could not fully follow your instruction. But, would a set containing a terminal connector, a shrink tub at a proper size, and a crimping tool like this be enough for me to get the job done?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts