Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a bug deflector followed the instructions to a T ,very easy to install! Now time to close the Hood "NOT" It will not close!
The only way the hood will close is to remove the hood seal! Has anybody ran into this before. Is there a remedy for this?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Hi Rocker,

What brand of shield did you install? I think the quality and fit varies among manufactures.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I installed the Weathertech "Easy-on" bugdeflector and yes the hood is more difficult to close, but it does close, you just have to kind of slam it down. I have already ordered a Colgan Custom bra for this very reason.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I also installed a Weatertech bug deflector and have no problems with it at all. In fact it took less then 10 minutes to install.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re bug deflector

Hi MVTCFP
To answer your question I bought an AVS deflector it looks great!
I called the company about my problem but didn't get any answers yet! SO im using it without a seal for now! Thanks to all for the reply

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi, Rocker. I'm the guy who answered your post over in Automotiveforums.com. I think you'll like this site a lot better for Murano discussions!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would recommend you go with the new Nissan deflector. My MO came with a Nissan bug deflector installed when I bought it at the end of August. This fall I was on a long road trip and enjoying some high speed driving when there was a hell of a noise. It sounded like a transport jake brake. It took me a moment to realize the bug deflector came loose on the drivers side and was flapping rapidly against the hood.

Needless to say it startled me. At first I was relieved the noise was nothing serious, then I was annoyed the flapping plastic had scuffed the hood. I had to get an allen key and tighten the fastener a couple of times during the remainder of my trip.

When I returned home I went to see my dealer. They were aware of a design problem with the original bug deflector and installed a new one of slightly different design. The new one sits a bit lower on the hood and has a semi circular cut out in the center so as not to cover the Nissan emblem. It makes it a bit more difficult to reach the hood release, but otherwise it is much better then the first one.

Wayne P

·
101 Posts
Wayne - Was that a WeatherTech deflector? I installed one a couple months back and haven't had a problem (I drive over 50 miles a day to work and back).

I can't see how it could come loose and flap around. The plastic is thermoformed to contour around the hood and secures between the hood and grill. The material is also fairly thick and unless the whole side is split or broken, I can't see it 'flapping around'.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Stonemaster, I am not sure what type of bug deflector it was that came loose. It was on the vehicle when I picked it out on the dealers lot this August. I believe it to be a Nissan part. All of the MO's on that lot had that same style of deflectors on them at that time. They had Nissan printed on the bottom left edge. The plastic was thick and formed to the shape of the front of the vehicle. The bottom of it was about even with the line where the hood and grill meet.

What happened was, while driving at about 80 mph, the fasteners on the drivers side slipped off the edge of the hood allowing it to flap/vibrate in the wind. It slapped at the hood making a terrible sound. I pulled over immediately and looked closely at the deflector for the first time.

I had never bothered with a deflector on any previous vehicle, but as mentioned this came with my MO. I found it was held on with a "c" clamp type of affair pinching the edge of the hood and the clamp on the far left edge had slipped off. The deflector had not broken, it just came loose. I was in Toronto at the time, 900 miles from home, so I bought an allen key and attempted to tighten the fitting without pinching the edge of the hood too hard. I thought I had corrected the problem, but it slipped off another time or two before I drove home.

When I went back to my dealer, the service guy stated they had just learned of the problem with the original deflector and had ordered replacements which were now in stock. The way they caught the wind caused them to come loose over time. I watched the new one being installed and noticed the box said Nissan on it, so I believe it to be a Nissan part. It also says Nissan on the bottom left edge.

The new one sits lower on the front so it would cover the top 1/3 of the Nissan emblem but it has a cut out at this point. The bottom edge of this deflector is below the line where the hood and grill meet. It also has an upward flare to the top edge. I have since been on various shorter road trips and have had no further problems.

My dealer offered to touch up the scuff marks or paint the hood, but as the new deflector covered them I decided not to fool around with the factory paint.

Wayne P

·
Registered
139 Posts
I asked my dealer if I could get a hood deflector from them as I thought it would fit better. They said that couldn't get one, that hey don't carry them for the MO.

Does someone have a part #, and should I even go with the nissan one or go with an aftermarket?

Chez

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Chezman29 said:
I asked my dealer if I could get a hood deflector from them as I thought it would fit better. They said that couldn't get one, that hey don't carry them for the MO.

Does someone have a part #, and should I even go with the nissan one or go with an aftermarket?

Chez
I have the Weathertech Deflector. It is very very good, and fits perfectly. Very easy to install too, no drilling, you just use the original hood weatherstrip mounting holes.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thanks, Where did you order it from? and how much was it?
Thanks again for your help. I love this forum and the great exchange of information!!!
Chez

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Chezman29 said:
Thanks, Where did you order it from? and how much was it?
Thanks again for your help. I love this forum and the great exchange of information!!!
Chez
I purchased it from Weathertech.com, I believe it was $50

1 - 13 of 13 Posts